British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   How long did it take you to find employment? If you arrived within the last 6 months (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/how-long-did-take-you-find-employment-if-you-arrived-within-last-6-months-605097/)

NikiL Apr 24th 2009 8:35 am

Re: How long did it take you to find employment? If you arrived within the last 6 mo

Just out of the bracket as we arrived 7 months ago, but had a 3 month temp role starting 5 weeks after we landed (2 weeks after I started looking) that took me to Christmas. Started a week earlier than I wanted, but figured it would get me local experience so don't look a gift horse in the mouth! Went for 2 perm interviews while I was in that role, was offered and accepted the second and started first week of Jan.

GillyG Apr 25th 2009 9:03 pm

Re: How long did it take you to find employment?

Originally Posted by dogscogs (Post 7508982)
There's a Centrelink at Palm Beach? :-)

Anyway, we arrived 6 and a bit months ago, I managed to find a job within a week of looking. However, I doubt I would have that kind of luck now... there are still jobs around but much thinner on the ground now.

Best of luck to the OP!

Cheers :thumbup:

Sally Simpson Apr 26th 2009 7:16 am

Re: How long did it take you to find employment? If you arrived within the last 6 mo

I had a job before we arrived but it has taken my OH 5 months. He starts tomorrow!:thumbsup: Unfortunately, it has meant that he is having to move to Townsville but we are going to see how it all works. The chance of getting the all-important Aus experience cannot be missed!

paulry Apr 26th 2009 7:21 am

Originally Posted by sallyclaire (Post 7514981)
I had a job before we arrived but it has taken my OH 5 months. He starts tomorrow!:thumbsup: Unfortunately, it has meant that he is having to move to Townsville but we are going to see how it all works. The chance of getting the all-important Aus experience cannot be missed!

Well done to your hubby! :thumbup:

How far is Townsville away from you?

Sally Simpson Apr 26th 2009 7:44 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 7514992)
Well done to your hubby! :thumbup:

How far is Townsville away from you?

350km/4-41/2 hr drive:thumbdown:

paulry Apr 26th 2009 7:47 am

Originally Posted by sallyclaire (Post 7515040)
350km/4-41/2 hr drive:thumbdown:

Ouch. Still, as you say - it's local experience.

Sally Simpson Apr 26th 2009 7:50 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 7515045)
Ouch. Still, as you say - it's local experience.

Not quite local enough but thems the breaks!:D