Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long before one feels "Australian"

Wikiposts

How long before one feels "Australian"

Old Feb 24th 2005, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Re: How long before one feels "Australian"

Geez..this weird.. i am 42 next month, and i feel younger than i ever did in UK!.. been to more parties than i reckon i went to in my teens!! I dress trendy nowadays and feel so much more alive... i dont think it matters WHERE you are its your own state of mind
Old Feb 24th 2005, 7:43 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I dont think you can technically be a pensioner (ie get a pension) until you are 60 or 65. But plenty of people retire early because they can afford it. Shocking thing it must be, to be able to retire at 45/50/55 & give up work & spend your money & time doing whatever you want to do .
Old Feb 24th 2005, 8:51 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeStanton

I wait to be enlightened by your penetrating insights.

And I just know I'm going to be disappointed....
Oh god Mike I empathise I really do. I feel just like that everytime you pop back in and rear your ugly troll head.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

I know very few over 45s in Uk but plenty in Australia, as I am one myself. I am quite away over 45 and object strongly, as would the others I know, to being labelled as OLD!! I can assure you that we wouldn't be the first to pike on a night out with you "young" people. Forget the retirement village senario - although I have heard some of these are pretty swinging places. However I must add that my 95 year old mother in Scotland still enjoys a good knees up!
Old Feb 24th 2005, 9:18 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hevs
Oh god Mike I empathise I really do. I feel just like that everytime you pop back in and rear your ugly troll head.
wow, must be that time of the month again.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 9:20 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
wow, must be that time of the month again.
Every day must feel like that when you live with a Mike though. Now get me chocolate and lots of it
Old Feb 24th 2005, 9:21 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hevs
Every day must feel like that when you live with a Mike though. Now get me chocolate and lots of it
Ok be right over.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Merlot
Ta muchly, I have to conclude it was the moving back to the UK this time around that really made me realise a LOT of things about life. Surroundings are a small part of it for me.

How many times have you planned something, only for it to go pear shaped YET the times when things happen spontanously, wham, it is great. It is all about living for the moment and knowing that.

It is up the the individual to make their own brand of fun. Life is both great and not so back in the UK but hey I am going to make the best of it.

I hope to start a completely new job away from office work into the caring profession, I started to seek out further education options to broaden my horizons, I will spend as much quality time with the folks/family and if and when the time comes to move on I will be enriched with new and great skills & memories.

M
Sounds like a good call, success to you!
Old Feb 24th 2005, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

JAD N RICH {QUOTE}
Having spent the last two years in upper class weatlthy exclusivly white Noosa, I can assure you the aussies can be just as money loving, social climbing, class conscicious, backstabing, keep up with the jones as the snottiest of any race.

Generally tho I dont find ausses and Poms that similar at all, and I think you see that over and over again, most poms here stick and hang out with other Poms.

Are you a bloke?, maybe they dont notice it so much. But lets ask how many english women here would want to be mistaken for an aussie? or pick up an aussie accent, or get as big as an aussie? or dress like an aussie.

OK there are english blokes on this forum, take badger trying to come across as all australian, but how many women have a deep desire for them or their daughters to look or sound all sheila-ish :scared:[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but are you trying to say that there are no fat women in the UK? No woman as common as muck in the whole of the UK at all? And are you implying that all Australian women "look and sound" like a "sheila"? I'm sorry, but I don't believe that you live in Noosa at all. I think you're just a wannabe who WISHES they were living in Noosa. Noosa isn't a very nice place to live in if you're not part of the "in" crowd, but there are women there with money AND taste. Gorgeous women and men too who could (and do) go anywhere in the world and fit in with the "in" crowds of any country.

My friends are almost all Australian and, with the exception of one particularly colourful woman , none of them have the stereotype Australian accent. They all have great dress sense and they range from a size 8 to a size 14, just like anywhere else in the world.

Don't look down your nose at the Aussies, there have some stunning genes in this gene pool.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 2:16 am
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

I see plenty of overweight/obese women (and men I might add) dressed in shell suits and/or with rolls of flesh hanging out!!, stuffing their faces with mcdonalds/pasties/junk food surround by loads of kids, f-ing and blinding at them during my lunch hour here in the UK.. lovely...
but I acknowledge that it happens in both the UK and Australia.. it's not exclusive to either country...

I resent that some people stick on the rose tinted specs and say one country is better than the other.. both have problems/poor people/fat people/ racial problems etc etc etc..

I like both countries a great deal.. and both offer different lifestyles..

anyway, life is what you make it....
Old Feb 25th 2005, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G'Day
JAD N RICH {QUOTE}

I'm sorry, but are you trying to say that there are no fat women in the UK?

No woman as common as muck in the whole of the UK at all? And are you implying that all Australian women "look and sound" like a "sheila"? I'm sorry, but I don't believe that you live in Noosa at all. I think you're just a wannabe who WISHES they were living in Noosa. Noosa isn't a very nice place to live in if you're not part of the "in" crowd, but there are women there with money AND taste. Gorgeous women and men too who could (and do) go anywhere in the world and fit in with the "in" crowds of any country.
You sound like you know as much about Noosa as someone who did a package holiday for a week. Noosa has several population types, the older gold set, usually from southern states, self funded retirees usually, bit of a stereotype to the locals, for trying to import snobbyness. In set anybody with real weatlh here usually flys in for the weekend, they are busy in the week making money elsewhere, only a handful of famous folk actually live here. There have been one or two noteables in aus society who have paid mega bucks for property which of course gets in the media.

The average wage for the rest of the residents is under $500 a week. Very little work here and there is a lot of poverty and single parents struggling in the outskirts, like Tewantin. There is simply not the work of the more thriving mid sunshine coast area. Those who find work are usually tradesmen or in the restaurant/hospitality area, or have a business in the thriving industrial area, of course a few teachers and nurses, but housing in real noosa is usually out of their wage scale.

We found employment building houses, niche market, building on the rock or sand slopes in the hills, simply by nature of that employment we have been treated to dealing with the upper class set you seem to crave, personally I found some very pretentious, and usually doing anything and everything to shake off being 'aussie', which it appears you can do by buying a $3000 imported italian Dunny.

Many of the big houses in the hills overlooking the beaches are worth several million and are often overseas holiday lets, or owned by older locals who bought 20 years ago. Yet 5 minutes away single parents struggle in one bed units dole day to dole day, so you are correct, life must be hell for those not in your 'in' crowd.

The main street has a couple of clubs, hotel bars and dozens of restaurants, a hive of activity in mid holiday season, deserted by 9pm tuesday night off season. Next time you take a mini break at Noosa, venture out of hastings street

If you think the post said there are not fat people in the UK cant help you, didnt see that anywhere.

Last edited by jad n rich; Feb 25th 2005 at 8:40 am.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 2:59 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=RichS]Sir the language you speak is I believe "Authentic Frontier Gibberish".

[QUOTE]

"HRRRRAABBBRRR!!!!"
Old Feb 25th 2005, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jad n rich
You sound like you know as much about Noosa as someone who did a package holiday for a week. Noosa has several population types, the older gold set, usually from southern states, self funded retirees usually, bit of a stereotype to the locals, for trying to import snobbyness. In set anybody with real weatlh here usually flys in for the weekend, they are busy in the week making money elsewhere, only a handful of famous folk actually live here. There have been one or two noteables in aus society who have paid mega bucks for property which of course gets in the media.

The average wage for the rest of the residents is under $500 a week. Very little work here and there is a lot of poverty and single parents struggling in the outskirts, like Tewantin. There is simply not the work of the more thriving mid sunshine coast area. Those who find work are usually tradesmen or in the restaurant/hospitality area, or have a business in the thriving industrial area, of course a few teachers and nurses, but housing in real noosa is usually out of their wage scale.

We found employment building houses, niche market, building on the rock or sand slopes in the hills, simply by nature of that employment we have been treated to dealing with the upper class set you seem to crave, personally I found some very pretentious, and usually doing anything and everything to shake off being 'aussie', which it appears you can do by buying a $3000 imported italian Dunny.

Many of the big houses in the hills overlooking the beaches are worth several million and are often overseas holiday lets, or owned by older locals who bought 20 years ago. Yet 5 minutes away single parents struggle in one bed units dole day to dole day, so you are correct, life must be hell for those not in your 'in' crowd.

The main street has a couple of clubs, hotel bars and dozens of restaurants, a hive of activity in mid holiday season, deserted by 9pm tuesday night off season. Next time you take a mini break at Noosa, venture out of hastings street

If you think the post said there are not fat people in the UK cant help you, didnt see that anywhere.
Actually you implied that people in Australia are fatter than people in the UK by posing the question to British expats of why any person would want to “get as big as an aussie�, thereby implying that only Australians are fat.

Now, I do not know from which planet you come from, but from where I am from the mere fact that you have money doesn’t make you automatically responsible for the woes of those who do not have money, so I can’t see what the fact that people live from dole to dole or on less than $500/week has anything to do with this discussion or the people we are discussing. If there is no work in Noosa for these people why do they stay there? As for the town having no-one in it out of season, what of it? Is it not a seasonal holiday town?

Incidentally I didn’t go to Noosa on a week long package holiday, I have friends who own a house there. The people you describe as “usually flys in for the weekend� actually also go there for long holidays with family and friends, thereby directly contributing to the economy of the town.

I would like to challenge you to explain to me how the simple fact of having money makes you “pretentious� and “money loving, social climbing, class conscious, backstabbing, keep up with the Jones�?

And how does having great taste and the money to buy Italian porcelain for your bathroom equate to “doing anything and everything to shake off being 'aussie'�? Do you have nothing in your home that was made in a foreign country? If you do, does that then mean that you wish you weren’t British? Or do you need to only buy goods manufactured in the UK from 100% non-imported products in order to be British? Some things in other countries are just simply far superior. Italian marble, Italian leather and Italian porcelain are some of them, just because you cannot afford them doesn’t mean that those who can have issues about their nationality.

Like I said before, you are simply someone who is jealous of something you want but do not have and so you sprout garbage about people whom you do not even know.

I happen to know how much hard work and personal sacrifice it requires to be where those people are, I also know about the charities many of them support and how good their hearts are. Yes, you get bastards on all social levels of life, but just having money doesn’t automatically qualify you for it.

Stop being bitter about not having it all and start enjoying what you have and you’ll be a much nicer and happier person, guaranteed.

Last edited by G'Day; Feb 25th 2005 at 9:48 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally Posted by bondipom
Is that a part of bigpond that works. The song is what I hate about patriotism. Ugly and naff. It is also a Telstra ad. Next someone will post a link to Shannon Noll singing cmon Aussie.
Poor old world weary BondiPom. Tired of Oz already and tired of life? The Band played Waltzing Matilda naff too?

I haven't heard "Ugly and naff" ascribed to the song by anyone else. Perhaps you haven't passed the feeling Australian test after all. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Maybe after 60 years. But what did or will your citizenship undertaking mean? And Australia Day? Take the day off or stay at work?
Old Feb 25th 2005, 11:48 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

http://david.national-anthems.net/gb.mid

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.