Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long before one feels "Australian"

How long before one feels "Australian"

Old Feb 22nd 2005, 12:24 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long before one feels "Australian"

I'm not expecting to feel "Australian". Just so long as I can feel "at home" in a comfortable timescale I will be happy. I was born me and I can't change that! (My hubby will be disappointed that I won't be changing into Kylie but that's life!)

Binbird
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 12:51 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to say that I started feeling an Australian as soon as I got here, but not only would MrsD give me a slap for being cheeky, but also someone already cracked that joke

I think I agree with Renth et al. At the moment I am a Pom in Australia. When (if) I get citizenship then I will be an English Aussie. I am proud to be English and always will be, but one day I also expect to be proud to be Australian. Unlike some people here, when I take Australian citizenship I will be taking on all that it entails, including voting and abiding by the laws. I expect to make my citizenship ceremony a full family affair and a celebration of my Aussieness. It will also be quite emotional for me for personal reasons.

Thankfully, I could not realy give a toss about the soccer or cricket, so do not have any problems deciding who to support. The only time I show any support to a sporting team is when I support the Maroons during the state of origin (which we will win this year).

Yeah, no, In terms of lifestyle and attitude I think I am already well on the way to feeling Aussie, but, eh?

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

richie.y is an unknown quantity at this point

Not there yet but I am sure I will always feel like an English Australian, no young 'uns yet, but they will be brought up to be Australian first, English second.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 4:40 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I'll be applying for my citizenship next week and when that happens I'll be an English Australian. I'll always have my English heritage of which I'm proud.

Having said that I feel I have more in common with the average Aussie "man in the street" than I have with the average mancunian football lout.
I tend to agree. I'll be proud to be an Australian citizen but even prouder to be English. Although I'm sure later on there'll be some conflict with my two boys Henry & Bobby
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 5:08 pm
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute

my wife says that she will see england as home for a long long time and as said by somebody on here,it's what u are and where u came from. now thats fine but i hate england and the only thing i will miss are family and friends.this may sound strange but there has allways been a pull to australia,not just for me but for the wife aswell and it's something that we have been talking about for over 10 years. we don't know why but it just feels so right for us as if it was meant to be........watch it all go tit's up when we do go for good and we end up back here in 6 months. maybe it's the fact that where we live is just full of smack heads and you can see the place getting worse year after year and yes i know australia has it's problems aswell but lets face it,MANCHESTER is a F ing dump
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 10:52 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonni boy
maybe it's the fact that where we live is just full of smack heads and you can see the place getting worse year after year and yes i know australia has it's problems aswell but lets face it,MANCHESTER is a F ing dump

Then why don't you just move out of Manchester?
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 11:31 pm
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
Then why don't you just move out of Manchester?
I liked Manchester, a great place (crap football teams though)

never lived there, but was thinking about moving there..
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I have been lucky enough to have been in this country now, just over half of my life. 23 years here, and 22 years in England. It was easy to fit in for me having an Australian wife, and extended english family here (cousins etc). I became an Aussie citizen after about 7 years here (the operation didn't hurt too much lol) However I still felt English. I still support England in the soccer (hate that bloody word) football. Although these days I will admit to preferring to see Aussie beat England.

Like I've said in one of my few other posts on here, I'm having my first trip to England in about 16 years soon, I wonder how I will feel after that.

Any other long term Migrants really feel Australian ?
I've been here for 25 years now. I live here, it's my home, and very familiar and normal to me. I don't 'feel' as if I'm any different to anyone else who lives here - whether they're Australian or arrived from Timbuktu last week.

I found that after a few years, the feeling of being 'English' and 'different' to the majority wore off. I may still sound like I just stepped off the boat, but to my own ears (and in my own mind) I'm just one of the crowd now. Stopped thinking about England as 'home' when I got permanent residency (came on an early WHV) and just got on with it. Not that it was difficult - I loved it here from Day 1.

The UK now feels like a foreign country to me - a bit like going to the US from England. There's no language problem, but the culture is different and it's not quite the same as home. I've got my first trip back in 9 years in June (not been back sooner as we've been too busy exploring other countries and NOT because it's too expensive on Aussie pay) and I'm looking forward to it enormously. It's always interesting going back, but it's fantastic to come home here afterwards.

As far as sport goes, I'm not the slightest bit sporty but I always support Australia (even against the UK). It's far more satisfying - a greater chance of winning .
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of

Hi Guys, long time no speak!

I don't think I'll ever feel "Australian" - I don't think I will ever know what being Australian is anyway. So many of the Australians I have met so far seem to have so many connections with Britain (parents, grandparents, brothers, sisters, husbands etc) that I can't really pinpoint what is Australian.

All I know is that I feel 100% settled here and intend to stay for the rest of my life . . . though I may retire in New Zealand in 40 years time!

As for football . . . turn away if of sensitive nature . . . I can't believe that the football crazy world has finally got its grip into Australia - it was one of the reasons why we wanted to come here that they weren't all football mad, but now everywhere I look there are signs saying join up for the soccer team!!! There are other sports to you know . . .

Mummy
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by podgypossum
Although i love living here and shall get my Aussie citizenship the day i am eligable, like Renth i will always be an Englishwoman Australian. I cant ever see me wanting the English soccer team to get beat. Was too much part of my previous life!
I love Australia, i love Australians (excpet the miserable b*****ds who are rude on the phone at work) i never want to be anywhere else, but you cant spend 38yrs of your life being brought up in a certain culture and community and hten suddenly just turn your back on it as if it never existed..that is false, and you are denying who you really are...that doesnt mean you are not happy or betraying your new world, its just knowing who you are.
I don't agree with than last statement at all. I think whether or not you care to acknowledge your previous culture and community depends on where you came from and whether you ever felt like you were actually a part of that community and culture. I for one have no problem totally leaving behind what I had before as I never felt at home in the ignorant, racist, bigoted culture that I was born into, but I feel totally at home in multi-cultural Melbourne. I find it a tad pathetic to meet people who've been in Australia for ten years and who still speak of their former countries as "home".
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

I am indeed one of those pathetic people then I fear. I'll always consider England 'home' in an intangible way. It shaped who I am what I am, what 400 years of my ancestors were (thats as much as I know).
I think in my mind I'd feel a little shallow suddenly saying I'm an aussie. I'm clearly not and clearly have little in common with the way the media portray 'aussiness'.

Nope I'm an English person living and enjoying Australia in all it's glory. I may become an Australian citizen and abide by all that entails, but I'm always going to be failing the cricket test.

As for racist/bigoted etc - never lived in a place more so.
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 5:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Rich S, How can you say this following statement and not explain yourself at least briefly ?

As for racist/bigoted etc - never lived in a place more so.

For example, are you mistaking (perhaps because of being a new arrival in this country) and now I will make the mods slightly nervous I guess.

The term "Paki" I realise is a big no no, in the UK, However in Aussie, whenever Australia plays Pakistan in the cricket, This term "paki" is used as an abbreviation by countless australian cricket commentators on TV and Radio, It's just an abbrviation of the word, Hopefully we here never go down the road as to take on board People claiming that this word is derogatory. Paticualy people that ain't Pakistani !

Same as the words poof or queer, Homosexuals call each other that, as do Hetrosexual people to identify or speak about Homosexuals, It's not meant to be bigoted is just "upfront Aussie speak"
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 6:26 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't know if and when I'll 'feel' Australian, but what I do know since I arrived here 2 months ago, is that I feel very comfortable and easy here - i think that a lot of it is because of the great attitude of the Australians I have met - can honestly say that I've yet to meet a miserable, arrogant or rude person here yet ( and there were plenty in the UK)

It is refreshing to just walk down the road, and as you pass someone, get a smile or a 'hi', - maybe the sunny weather helps (but then again I live in Melbourne, so it cannot be just that!) - I think it is more like the generous, happy nature of Australians - I'm generalising, but my opinion is derived from my experiences.

As I have been on my own (till my hubby arrives this coming tuesday), I have been blessed with lots of help, tips etc - all unasked for and all gratefully received.

To sum up - I feel very much at home here, and am damn happy

Cas
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 6:29 am
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Same as the words poof or queer, Homosexuals call each other that, as do Hetrosexual people to identify or speak about Homosexuals, It's not meant to be bigoted is just "upfront Aussie speak"
Very few gay people call themselves a poof, a number are trying to reclaim the word Queer, back from the hurtfull insult.

a bit like some black people are trying to reclaim the word nigger.

Neither are nice words, and are used mainly to insult
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of

Re "Aussie Speak".

There was a programme on yesterday I think about the survival of the English language, and it was focussing on Australia. It states that most of the "Aussie" words used today are in fact (perhaps quite obviously really) words from 18th century criminal London, and many of these words e.g. cobber, swag, dinkum etc can be found in Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist.

Well I was interested anyway!

Mummy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.