Reload this Page >

How long before one feels "Australian"

Wikiposts

How long before one feels "Australian"

Old Feb 24th 2005, 5:50 am
Merlot

Default Re: How long before one feels "Australian"

Originally Posted by G'Day
Damn, why can't I give karma twice to the same person? 'Cause you deserve it BIG time. I agree with this statement 200%. I am a citizen of the world - French mother, German father, Dutch husband, raised in several countries, now immigrated to Australia - I'm a regular United Nations all by myself . For me home is not a piece of soil, it's the people I'm with. My husband and children especially. To me the whole idea of national pride is just a bunch of baloney used by governments when they want to start a war. I have been in many stunning places in my life, some of them will haunt me forever and just thinking of them brings a smile to my face, but they are not "home", not one of them. Home for me is any domicile where my family gathers together and has fun together and fights together and gets through hard times together.

I feel passionate about Australia only because it is a country that has some ideals that I, personally, share. I think, possibly because it has no strongly defined "culture" of it's own, I feel more at home here (there IS a culture, it's just quite flexible). Like Badge says, I have an affinity for the people of Australia and it has drawn me like a magnet for many years. I love the mix of people, cultures and opinions. I love the weather, the forests, the deserts. I want citizenship here and because this country is a haven for my family I respect it and it's people. Someday I might move on again, my husband is already getting itchy feel to see yet another place and to live in yet another country. My company might send me to Switzerland yet, maybe the USA, but God forbid that I should ever have a snotty, condecending attitude towards any place that shelters me and mine.
Ta muchly, I have to conclude it was the moving back to the UK this time around that really made me realise a LOT of things about life. Surroundings are a small part of it for me.

How many times have you planned something, only for it to go pear shaped YET the times when things happen spontanously, wham, it is great. It is all about living for the moment and knowing that.

It is up the the individual to make their own brand of fun. Life is both great and not so back in the UK but hey I am going to make the best of it.

I hope to start a completely new job away from office work into the caring profession, I started to seek out further education options to broaden my horizons, I will spend as much quality time with the folks/family and if and when the time comes to move on I will be enriched with new and great skills & memories.

M

Old Feb 24th 2005, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
Is that a part of bigpond that works. The song is what I hate about patriotism. Ugly and naff. It is also a Telstra ad. Next someone will post a link to Shannon Noll singing cmon Aussie.
Gosh, it's good to see that you do actually move off the fence from time to time. Now, what is it about the "ugly and naff" lyrics that you object to? Are they outrageously jingoistic? Nope. Are they exclusive? Nope. If anything, they go out of their way to be inclusive - including references to Oz's first people. Is there some thinly-disguised war-mongering? Can't see that either. Romanticised view of Oz? Of course. But that doesn't make it ugly or naff.

I wait to be enlightened by your penetrating insights.

And I just know I'm going to be disappointed....
Old Feb 24th 2005, 7:17 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Gosh, it's good to see that you do actually move off the fence from time to time. Now, what is it about the "ugly and naff" lyrics that you object to? Are they outrageously jingoistic? Nope. Are they exclusive? Nope. If anything, they go out of their way to be inclusive - including references to Oz's first people. Is there some thinly-disguised war-mongering? Can't see that either. Romanticised view of Oz? Of course. But that doesn't make it ugly or naff.

I wait to be enlightened by your penetrating insights.

And I just know I'm going to be disappointed....
I am sure Telstra appreciates your love of their ads.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ozzieeagle]Apologies for be pendatic on the following quote by Jad and rich, however it led to the following thoughts.

Besides aussies and poms are very different, trying to act like the other race usually looks ridiculous.

One thing is for sure, Aussies are not a different race to english / british people, Different Nation, sure but certainly not different race.

The characteristics that Aussies seem to share with people in England, seem to be similiar to people from the North of england, than People from london or the south east, Thats the way It seems to me, With an up front Yorkshireman/woman as a perfect example. So to me at least, being sarf london born and bred, the differences here are only what I would imagine I would experince in Leeds, Excepting I'm probably better accepted here. In fact besides the shops (which with globilisation are probably very similar to ones back in the UK now) and Vegitation, Melbourne in particular could be almost seen as an appendage of Britan.

{QUOTE}

Having spent the last two years in upper class weatlthy exclusivly white Noosa, I can assure you the aussies can be just as money loving, social climbing, class conscicious, backstabing, keep up with the jones as the snottiest of any race.

Generally tho I dont find ausses and Poms that similar at all, and I think you see that over and over again, most poms here stick and hang out with other Poms.

Are you a bloke?, maybe they dont notice it so much. But lets ask how many english women here would want to be mistaken for an aussie? or pick up an aussie accent, or get as big as an aussie? or dress like an aussie.

OK there are english blokes on this forum, take badger trying to come across as all australian, but how many women have a deep desire for them or their daughters to look or sound all sheila-ish :scared:
Old Feb 24th 2005, 7:51 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Generally tho I dont find ausses and Poms that similar at all, and I think you see that over and over again, most poms here stick and hang out with other Poms.

Are you a bloke?, maybe they dont notice it so much. But lets ask how many english women here would want to be mistaken for an aussie? or pick up an aussie accent, or get as big as an aussie? or dress like an aussie.

OK there are english blokes on this forum, take badger trying to come across as all australian, but how many women have a deep desire for them or their daughters to look or sound all sheila-ish :scared:
Yes you do see POM's gravitating to their fellow compatriot as there is often a shared heritage with such things as humour, childhood TV shows, galaxy choc bars, Walkers crisps, football, etc but I have to say my experience in Australia, approx 30% of my mates where from the UK, the rest Aussies, Kiwi's and various other origins.

When you first go over it can be reassuring to be close to POM's, I did find as time moved on I didn't "seek" them out as much. I think I have said before just because someone is from your home country, doesn't mean you will get on or even like them. I have found some expats a complete pain in the arse, :scared: but they would have been a pain to me regardless of where they came from. We just don't get on with everyone we meet.

As for being confused for an Australian - 3 times in the last year I was there, the best one was the Australia born and raised Doc in the skin cancer clinic. I explained to her I was going to live in the UK and she asked me if I had been before???? Had to giggle.

One question I am confused on "get as big as an Aussie", does this mean fat?

M

Old Feb 24th 2005, 8:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot

One question I am confused on "get as big as an Aussie", does this mean fat?

M
I think so. Its a joke or is that threat, used by my AUSTRALIAN husband, like when I put on half a stone over Xmas

Probably inspired by the recent media on ausssie women weighng in at 50lb more than american women. Or trips to the beach and him and my sons sniggering at whale women in G-strings.

Right thats totally enough un PC posting for one day, Ta for helping drop me in it
Old Feb 24th 2005, 8:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I think so. Its a joke or is that threat, used by my AUSTRALIAN husband, like when I put on half a stone over Xmas

Probably inspired by the recent media on ausssie women weighng in at 50lb more than american women. Or trips to the beach and him and my sons sniggering at whale women in G-strings.

Right thats totally enough un PC posting for one day, Ta for helping drop me in it
My greatest fear....that as I become an Aussie I will turn into that hideous old bat who does the Australian Pensioners Insurance ad....yakking on about apples and orances and cheap insurance......
Old Feb 24th 2005, 8:46 am
Merlot

I'll try this again, as each time it keeps going to "page cannot be found" when I hit the "submit reply" button.

I too got to my heaviest in Oz, down to the wonderful eating out and wine. Makes me smile as Ozzies are supposed to be waifs.

M

Old Feb 24th 2005, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Responding to the following quote by Jad and Rich

Having spent the last two years in upper class weatlthy exclusivly white Noosa, I can assure you the aussies can be just as money loving, social climbing, class conscicious, backstabing, keep up with the jones as the snottiest of any race.

Having spent most of my time In the Northern Inner suburbs of Melbourne, . I can say that I havn't experienced the negative aspects of social climbing, and class conscicious that you refer to. I may have seen the Money loving and backstabbing aspects but not enough to have dwelled upon the traits.

I'm crossing Noosa of off places I may retire to list on the basis of your observations, It sounds bloody horrible.

My 20 year old british and aussie passport holding daughter is probably off to England soon. I told her a while back, that she would probably earn 50 pct more in her office admin, fashion industry skills and have better prospects. Kind of economic refugee, or a bit like moving from t'north down south.

Point being I'm very proud of my well educated sheila-ish 5'11'' tall, slim, athletic, blond, green eyed daughter, and expect that should would attract a hell of a lot of attention from guys, and possibly envy from some girls. If Thats what you mean by sounding and looking all sheila-ish, I'm sure most parents would say yes please.

reason for edit, trying to get the bloody vb code to work dammit lol

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 24th 2005 at 9:22 am.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Responding to the following quote by Jad and Rich

Having spent most of my time In the Northern Inner suburbs of Melbourne, . I can say that I havn't experienced the negative aspects of social climbing, and class conscicious that you refer to. I may have seen the Money loving and backstabbing aspects but not enough to have dwelled upon the traits.

I'm crossing Noosa of off places I may retire to list on the basis of your observations, It sounds bloody horrible.

My 20 year old british and aussie passport holding daughter is probably off to England soon. I told her a while back, that she would probably earn 50 pct more in her office admin, fashion industry skills and have better prospects. Kind of economic refugee, or a bit like moving from t'north down south.

Point being I'm very proud of my well educated sheila-ish 5'11'' tall, slim, athletic, blond, green eyed daughter, and expect that should would attract a hell of a lot of attention from guys, and possibly envy from some girls. If Thats what you mean by sounding and looking all sheila-ish, I'm sure most parents would say yes please.

reason for edit, trying to get the bloody vb code to work dammit lol

If you want snobbery in Melby try the beach suburbs just out of the city, hubs sister lives in Brighton and its funny most of the snotty folk in noosa emigrated from the southern states You'd do well not to retire to noosa, the gold chain, hairy chested speedo crowd, married to the bronzed croc, fake jewelry, bleached grey hair would send anyone to an early grave.

Sheila-ish, no she sounds lovely, its interesting tho your daughter is off back to the UK, our son also 5.11 and green eyed probably slightly harier tho, is also off back to the UK, he also calls himself a pom and is going back to UK for better income, as he says he will never afford a house on aussie wages.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
My greatest fear....that as I become an Aussie I will turn into that hideous old bat who does the Australian Pensioners Insurance ad....yakking on about apples and orances and cheap insurance......
PMSL Have you seen the one where shes yacking in front of a small gold 4WD, a bloke comes out and gets into the car, its really badly filmed and the first time I saw it, thought the ad was a comedy and the guy was about to run her over Watch the car, its heading straight for her.

While on the aged, what is it here with retirement villages adverts, first they were over 60's then its over 55's, now its over 50's, and someone in Perth said over there its over 45's. :scared: My UK mates that age are still nightclubbing here over 45 is half dead. Now dont drink too much tonight you might end up signing up for your local retirement home
Old Feb 24th 2005, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

My UK mates that age are still nightclubbing here over 45 is half dead. [/QUOTE]

Never heard so much garbage in my life!!! You obviously don't know many over 45s.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Gibbo
My UK mates that age are still nightclubbing here over 45 is half dead.

Never heard so much garbage in my life!!! You obviously don't know many over 45s.[/QUOTE]

Sorry know plenty in Uk, all still party or pub and travel, had 2 lots of them out here in december, to them australia was very dead, even putting them on the OZ experience bus didnt help. Very same subject was discussed on recent pom night out, general opinion was people do seem a lot older here.

So where are the over 45 retirement homes in the UK then? Dont you find that funny? I do, my husbands 45 this year
Old Feb 24th 2005, 7:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Never heard so much garbage in my life!!! You obviously don't know many over 45s.
Sorry know plenty in Uk, all still party or pub and travel, had 2 lots of them out here in december, to them australia was very dead, even putting them on the OZ experience bus didnt help. Very same subject was discussed on recent pom night out, general opinion was people do seem a lot older here.

So where are the over 45 retirement homes in the UK then? Dont you find that funny? I do, my husbands 45 this year [/QUOTE]

I do find it funny when they refer to over 45s or even over 50s as "pensioners"; people do seem to age a lot quicker here - perhaps some of it, at least with women, is because so many have more home-based hobbies, scrapbooks and sewing and tupperware and stuff, whereas in the UK there is still more of a "going out" culture - spending the evening out with friends, rather than just in a friends house. The more you stay in and stagnate, the quicker you feel old, IMO.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 7:32 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I do find it funny when they refer to over 45s or even over 50s as "pensioners"; people do seem to age a lot quicker here - perhaps some of it, at least with women, is because so many have more home-based hobbies, scrapbooks and sewing and tupperware and stuff, whereas in the UK there is still more of a "going out" culture - spending the evening out with friends, rather than just in a friends house. The more you stay in and stagnate, the quicker you feel old, IMO.

Been out of this thread for a few pages, my its evolved!!

The term OAP doesn't seem to be used here, and thats probably because you don't need to be 'old' to be termed a pensioner!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.