Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How fashionable are Australians?

How fashionable are Australians?

Old May 1st 2005, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How fashionable are Australians?

Originally Posted by JayDeee
That is so true, I live in country WA and when we went to Perth the other day it was really weird to see people all dressed up again, a warm day and all the office people wearing suits. A person in a suit in Gero is a rare site, even at formal functions like weddings.

I spend my life in a teeshirts and shorts, When we leave here I'm gonna look like country hicksville gal.

Kala
I remember at my sister's wedding (in country Vic) people turned up to the church in jeans!! It was bizarre - there was the bride in a long flowing white gown, us bridesmaids in long blue silky dresses and strappy shoes, groom and groomsmen all in smart dark suits and dark glasses, and a load of guests in jeans and trainers.

Bet you'll be line dancing by the time you leave there
Old May 1st 2005, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

That's a very good question. Ozzie men wear, as far as I can see, in increasing order of formality:
- surf bum look (for the beach)
- shorts + tee-shirt (at home)
- jeans + shirt
- suit + tie (for the office)
- white tie & tails (for weddings)

There really seems a gap for what we Poms call "smart casual", e.g. linen suit, the Ozzie bloke just doesn't get this. Possibly they think this is the sort of thing "poofters" wear. Shame, as I think it's a cool look. Once in Oz, wearing some smart clothes of this type I (a bloke) was ironically wolf-whistled at by a workman! Perhaps it will come, in the same way that standards of cooking have risen over recent years.
Old May 1st 2005, 11:25 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
I remember at my sister's wedding (in country Vic) people turned up to the church in jeans!! It was bizarre - there was the bride in a long flowing white gown, us bridesmaids in long blue silky dresses and strappy shoes, groom and groomsmen all in smart dark suits and dark glasses, and a load of guests in jeans and trainers.

Usually the case unless it said on the invitation for formal wear. Even at funerals, people now wear casual clothes.
Old May 1st 2005, 11:32 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DagBoy
Same in rural Qld. When MrsDagBoy's nephews came down to Bris for a family funeral I had to lend them shoes - they had remembered their suits - just hadn't remembered they needed shoes. One of them is a pineapple farmer and doesn't even wear shoes out in the fields most of the time. If he did I am sure he would want something with a good label though, otherwise the other farmers might think less of him.

I don't think Aussies care so much for labels here - or maybe it is that fewer of them care. That may be because they have more sense or it might just be that the lifestyle makes it irrelevant (at least up here). When I worked in the UK it was expected that I would wear a suit. I had several suits, all "labels", wore designer ties, nice shirts etc. In the last 4 years I have worn a suit about 10 times at work and most of them were in the first year.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Most of the "old-type" of farmers that I know still go bare-foot on their properties and if they come to town for seed and fertilizer during the day they drive in barefoot. Less stuff to get caught in the boot and socks to irritate me thinks.
Old May 1st 2005, 11:37 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rooksie
have you seen delta goodrem :scared:
LOL they havent got a clue mate fashion in WA is about 30 yrs behind uk now that is frightening :scared:
Old May 1st 2005, 11:46 pm
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry, you can't easily buy Jimmy Choo's so Fashion and Australian should never be mentioned in the same breath!!
Old May 2nd 2005, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Trouble is people who want to wear designer clothes are usually boring anyway, who wants to look like expensive clones of each other. What happened to people who like to look individual.
Old May 2nd 2005, 12:10 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Hang on with a name like your's, you're having a laugh aren't you - that's exactly what I've been saying!!!

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Trouble is people who want to wear designer clothes are usually boring anyway, who wants to look like expensive clones of each other. What happened to people who like to look individual.
Old May 2nd 2005, 2:00 am
Badge

Where we live there are families who want a semi-rural liefeyle or hobby farmers. Noone wears smart clothes unless they are going to the steak restaurant or the restaurant at the pub then their clothes are clean and presentable.

Our neighbours all wear workman/country clothes/jeans some of us are in the CFA. At a meeting of the CFA the other month everyone was wearing paddock boots.

I like all the RM williams trousers, jeans or moleskins(esp in winter), straight leg, good fit, warm, tough and no metrosexual rubbish styling. I also wear good old 501s.

You can buy secondhand RM stuff in Op shops which are great for doing everything around the home (mowing, DiY) which is what you spend most of the time doing. I've hardly bought any new clothes in 18 months here.

Badge

Old May 2nd 2005, 2:06 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry, "A Steak Restaurant"?????

The CFA???

It get's worse - "Second hand stuff"

This is getting daft now, you telling me you mow? why doesn't someone do it for you?

"I've hardly bought any new clothes in 18 months here." What can I say?????

Chr1st on a bike, and i thought the UK had a problem.

Originally Posted by Badge
Where we live there are families who want a semi-rural liefeyle or hobby farmers. Noone wears smart clothes unless they are going to the steak restaurant or the restaurant at the pub then their clothes are clean and presentable.

Our neighbours all wear workman/country clothes/jeans some of us are in the CFA. At a meeting of the CFA the other month everyone was wearing paddock boots.

I like all the RM williams trousers, jeans or moleskins(esp in winter), straight leg, good fit, warm, tough and no metrosexual rubbish styling. I also wear good old 501s.

You can buy secondhand RM stuff in Op shops which are great for doing everything around the home (mowing, DiY) which is what you spend most of the time doing. I've hardly bought any new clothes in 18 months here.

Badge
Old May 2nd 2005, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Badge

Badge
I'm glad you're wearing something on your feet. Are paddock boots wellies or blundies or RM boots?
Old May 2nd 2005, 3:23 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw

They do that, to Nutbush city , 3 weddings now and everyone they all get excitied when nutbush city comes on and the whole lot start line dancing, I just stand there in complete shock not know whether to laugh or cry.

Kala
Old May 2nd 2005, 4:04 am
Badge

Originally Posted by MJC
Sorry, "A Steak Restaurant"?????

The CFA???

It get's worse - "Second hand stuff"

This is getting daft now, you telling me you mow? why doesn't someone do it for you?

"I've hardly bought any new clothes in 18 months here." What can I say?????

Chr1st on a bike, and i thought the UK had a problem.
not sure if you're joking or not.

Or I can say is, where we live there is no corelation of what you wear with your socio-economic status.

badge

Old May 2nd 2005, 4:06 am
Badge

Originally Posted by chocaholic
I'm glad you're wearing something on your feet. Are paddock boots wellies or blundies or RM boots?
Either or.

Mostly blundies. They could be any boot that is a ankle slip-on with a rubber sole, a derivative of a work boot or a riding boot. Maybe a metal toe cap. When I was jackerooing I wore "riding" ankle boots, ie I bought them from a equestrian mob, now I wear Blundies, I have a pair of RMs for everything else.
And a few parting gestures to fashion walking boots now and again.

Badge

Last edited by Badge; May 2nd 2005 at 4:08 am.

Old May 2nd 2005, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with everyone who says it depends where you are. In Sydney there are areas (Paddington, Woollahra, Double Bay Etc) where they are perfectly accessorised and wearing head to toe labels even to pop out for milk. In the country it's all RM Williams, driza-bones and flannos. You'll also find pretty much everything in between. There are plenty of Australian fashion mags and some of the Aussie designers are getting pretty big globally. Horses for courses I suppose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.