Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how different is it??.....

how different is it??.....

Old Nov 22nd 2006, 5:14 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how different is it??.....

Originally Posted by monkeypeaches
Nope, not a sausage! Don't mind though, just had a baby so in no rush to do meds! We were acknowledged 2nd May, so hopefully won't be too long now.

How's the wait treating you? Shouldn't be too long if you've frontloaded, you'll probably get your visa before us!

Rach x
Rach,

your a better person than I am for having the patience to wait this long.
I'm sort of not expecting to get the visa due to a health problem that I had 3 years ago.Just wish we knew soon so we can plan where we're going to next and when. By the way, for the record, Australia is just another place to live. That's how I see it as I lived there on two separate occasions for a year each time. It's no better than any other country I've lived in, it's just different and warmer than the uk! ;o)

*pearly*
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

hoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nice

Originally Posted by aston man
i have been a member on this forum now for about 6 months and i have nothing but respect for everyone who i have come across.i would never want to upset anyone...but i have to say this...

i have read loads of posts on emigration,rekkis,should i go,shouldn't i,will i miss my family, etc.

i am really confused,do people expect the streets to be paved in gold?what do they expect?if it was such paradise do they not find it a little strange that the waiting list for applicants is only a year? its not going to be easy street ,if people have any apprehension what so ever or they are worried about leaving family and friends etc.behind, you shouldn't go.

we are going on a rekki to put put any apprehension we have, in the bin once and for all.
here are some of my concerns.

what house am i going to get for my money.i can have a look around the areas i can afford and see if there for me.

i am going to get some work experience and see if i an able to put money on the table every Friday

flys,i cannot stand em.so ill go and check it out..

and the Ozzie's can i live with em.or as its their country could they live with me..

yes we will treat our rekki as a holiday but we will also find out everything we need to..if you think life is going to be one big holiday then you need to try a different location,,,,planet mars...

if anyone is uncertain of anything no one on this forum is going to be able to make a decision for you,you need to get your own answers.

my motto about Australia,is,, expect nothing ,then everthing else is a bonus..
Aston Man - if my karma button was working i would send you heaps! i really enjoyed your post and love your motto
Rach xxx
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 8:42 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Been on a few recce, spending a couple of weeks in perth, brisbane and sydney. That got us to pick Brisbane, but what its actually like to be making friends, going to schools and paying taxes is going to be a new experience.

As the mantra goes... better to regret something you've done than to regret something you haven't done.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all

I think it depends on how you see things generally as a person.
We went to Perth as a family of 4 this year as a holiday and a reccie. My stepbrother has been there nearly 20 years and we met a couple of his friends for barbies which was nice.

Wasn't that smitten with Perth to start with and found it a little boring to be honest although it is a lovely place. A young australian off his nut tried to kick it off with us (kids in car)in the local shops car park and we had HONESTLY done nothing wrong. Saw the needle bins which had been used in a good few toilets including a couple of mc Donalds. All this helped me see it for what it was and I have no "Oz is great" spactacles on.

I never look at a move to Oz as forever should we get a visa as I do like so much about the U.K. I think it is a great experience if you are given the chance to go there.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:25 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
...and never noticed all the druggies, bogans, ferrals and aborigines...
Nice.

Originally Posted by Borat
In Zazakhstan we say God, man, horse, dog, then woman, then rat.

Big.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:28 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Galah
Nice.

Big.

Nice, big what?
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 12:03 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monkeypeaches
We were lucky because we went for 6 months (WHV). At this point, we weren't intending to emigrate.

At first it was brilliant - beach every day, invited to barbecues, brand new hire car, typical holiday. Then we ran out of cash.

After staying with family for a few weeks we moved into a unit, bought a knackered old car and started work. It was only then that we really saw what it would be like to live in Oz. And to be honest, we didn't love it. Nothing stayed open late, there was no Starbucks, no bagels, the washing machine opened at the top :scared: We spent hours lamenting the state of journalism in WA and even longer laughing at the politicians. And don't even get me started on the bureaucracy After 6 months, bored and broke, we were ready to go home.

Then we arrived back in London, on a cold and rainy March morning. And it hit us - we actually had loved Australia, we just hadn't realised it. The things we thought were important really weren't. We quickly tired of a Starbucks on every corner, and we were so knackered from working all hours to be able to afford London rents that we didn't stay up long enough to appreciate the nightlife. OK I know that these are totally shallow reasons for liking or disliking a place, but we did consider the big things, and overall, we liked Australia better. Yes we were constantly broke there and living in a tiny unit, but we are constantly broke here and renting an even smaller flat that costs 6 times as much. So we decided to emigrate, and 3.5 years later we are almost there.

Anyway, after that rather long nostalgic waffle, my point is this: a short reccie will not be long enough to really experience Aussie life, the good and the bad. My mum, who has only been on holiday, has a completely different, and rose-tinted view of the place than I do. She thinks that houses are cheap and it's all walks on the beach and fish n chips in Fremantle. However, I'm always up for an adventure so probably would have gone without doing a reccie, got to 6 months then jacked it in. Don't think you can win really - my family out there say that 6 months is the hardest time (disillusionment, homesickness), but you really need to give it 2 years.

At least now I know I have my eyes open - I know what to expect and won't come back crying if it doesn't work out in the first year or two.

Rach xx
That's a most realistic assessment.It doesn't matter how many times you go to a place, the day-to-day reality of living there and having to do all the daily mundane chores like taxing the car, paying the water bills, fighting your way through Medicare etc makes living there permanently rather different.

Boils down in our case to the usual "Weather and Space" <g>

Last edited by Wol; Nov 23rd 2006 at 12:40 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 12:34 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
Nice, big what?
I mean, it's a nice attitude to have, coming here and complaining about all the things that make it bad, including those nasty Aboriginals.

Big as in Big Galah.

Big.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 1:39 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Galah
I mean, it's a nice attitude to have, coming here and complaining about all the things that make it bad, including those nasty Aboriginals.

Big as in Big Galah.

Big.
Ok you win, I will only complain about things that make it good from now on. Should make for an interesting post. Lets try... I really like the hoons that tear up the road near my place and try to make the car go faster by flooring the throttle whilst leaving the handbrake on, I also think the clouds of black rubber smoke adds a pleasant hue to the beautiful blue skies here. I particularly like driving through the south side of taree whilst trying to avoid the bricks and other debris the aborigines throw at my car, I really like the way it heightens my reflexes and pumps up my adrenalin.

Someone else’s turn now… I’m off back under my rock.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 1:51 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Ok you win, I will only complain about things that make it good from now on. Should make for an interesting post. Lets try... I really like the hoons that tear up the road near my place and try to make the car go faster by flooring the throttle whilst leaving the handbrake on, I also think the clouds of black rubber smoke adds a pleasant hue to the beautiful blue skies here. I particularly like driving through the south side of taree whilst trying to avoid the bricks and other debris the aborigines throw at my car, I really like the way it heightens my reflexes and pumps up my adrenalin.

While there contemplate the fact that Australian hoon-noise is better than anywhere else's, Oz tyre smoke is more colourful and Australian bricks are better made by toiling craftsmen (suitably trained examined and licenced) than those from "foreign".

<g>
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

sid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nice

I think a reccie is always good, we had been here several times before moving (OH is from here), but I think a lot of it depends on how much do you have to lose? If you don't have kids at a critical stage in their schooling and are confident you can pick up work here and back in the UK relatively easily then you can just say "we'll go for 2 years, if we don't like it we'll come home".

If you're not in that situation I think you'd want to be pretty sure you knew what you were getting into and why you're doing it.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 2:10 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Open up your farm as a shelter for rock throwing abbos and dig up your fields and build a race track and charge em.

you can have a motorcross track and do atv runs too. theres plenty of scope for a farm with land. may as well make money from it. or torch it and move home
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 2:16 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen
Open up your farm as a shelter for rock throwing abbos and dig up your fields and build a race track and charge em.

you can have a motorcross track and do atv runs too. theres plenty of scope for a farm with land. may as well make money from it. or torch it and move home
I think people should apply and just go, no reccie, and then save the money for the way home if you dont like it in oz. But instead of moving, just use the money for a reccie back to the uk and try and live life here for a month or 6 and drive to work everyday in the p1s5 rain and and and and and and and............

At least itll cheer you up about where you are , or make you decide for sure where your heart lies and itll cost you alot less than flights and shippers 3 times if you come back and then ping pong again.

Always realise why you are going to Australia, and not why you are leaving here.

good luck

al
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 5:40 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
he said, I want to go to a supermarket, and see it through the eyes of a Brit that shops here. Not through the eyes of his Aussie friend, who is used to things, but through the eyes of someone used to Sainsburys.
Another that comes to mind now, he collected me for our trips during the morning rush hour - and got stuck in an accident on the Gateway both days, traffic tailed back for miles.

Its things like that which make a reckie work. Would have been easy for him to just visit souvenir shops, rather than Woolworths and a greengrocers, and would've been easy for me to say I would meet him at 10am when the traffic had vanished, but he didn't, he wanted it as real as possible.
Yeah, but could he find the cheese?
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 8:30 am
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

thank you all for your answers

we are only on a reccie because we had to validate and we havent sold up yet cant make the big move untill weve sold up

since being here we had a big bill to pay unexpectadley and hubby is ill although we are not paying taxes and such or staying in our own house in the area we want but at least we have not just experienced the good life

me and the kids are loving it but as i said hubby is the one not well and he is unsure of it all now

thanks again for your answers

jan xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.