Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how different is it??.....

how different is it??.....

Old Nov 22nd 2006, 8:55 am
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute
Default how different is it??.....

.....coming on reccie to actually living here???

jan xx
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 9:16 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: how different is it??.....

Originally Posted by robos

jan xx
There have been a few posters such as Arkon who loved the place on their reccie, but hated it once they moved.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Nov 22nd 2006 at 9:19 am.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 9:23 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

jan xx
not sure what you mean but I guess the same as where you are now, imagine going on a holiday to where you live and compare it to living there.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
There have been a few posters such as Arkon who loved the place on their reccie, but hated it once they moved.
it is hard as I reckon you tend to see things through holiday eyes, good if you can visit people who live there and see everyday life.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Karen72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to all

jan xx
VERY different! In a nutshell....It's surreal at first it feels like a holiday, then it's real, then emotions kick in, then as time goes by and you meet people, make friends start work and appreciate where you are then hopefully you settle down. Karen.x
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Karen72
VERY different! In a nutshell....It's surreal at first it feels like a holiday, then it's real, then emotions kick in, then as time goes by and you meet people, make friends start work and appreciate where you are then hopefully you settle down. Karen.x
It is very different as a reccie is like being on holiday so be warned it can be a shock to the system at first but many people seem to find their feet relatively quickly and appear to be very happy with their lot.

Sue
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about

The same as the UK but warmer
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:04 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

So is a reccie a waste of time and money? We didn't do one, had never been to Oz before we moved here, but we didn't have kids then and could do stupid thing like that

Originally Posted by suebrennan
It is very different as a reccie is like being on holiday so be warned it can be a shock to the system at first but many people seem to find their feet relatively quickly and appear to be very happy with their lot.

Sue
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by themerlin
So is a reccie a waste of time and money? We didn't do one, had never been to Oz before we moved here, but we didn't have kids then and could do stupid thing like that
everyone is different personally I could not move to a country I hadnt visited, if it was just a couple of hours away I may be different but not all that way.

we were lucky cos our first visit was for 6 months and I was in total shock for the first month just nothing how I imagined it would be.

I loved it by the end
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

hoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nice

but we didn't have kids then and could do stupid thing like that [/QUOTE]

Oi! we have a daughter yet we came over without having been to Australia before! only knew one other family here in Brisbane but have been here over 2 years and have never looked back!
Rach x
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:14 am

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

6 Months would be worth it, but not many people can do that.

Originally Posted by possoms

we were lucky cos our first visit was for 6 months and I was in total shock for the first month just nothing how I imagined it would be.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by themerlin
6 Months would be worth it, but not many people can do that.
yes I know said I was lucky, OH decided to take a gap year
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:29 am

Seems that most people who have never seen the place love it and stay.

Originally Posted by hoots nan
but we didn't have kids then and could do stupid thing like that
Oi! we have a daughter yet we came over without having been to Australia before! only knew one other family here in Brisbane but have been here over 2 years and have never looked back!
Rach x[/QUOTE]
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:42 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by possoms
it is hard as I reckon you tend to see things through holiday eyes, good if you can visit people who live there and see everyday life.
This is good advice if you can do it.

We went to Perth and Sydney two years ago and many of the myths of cheap, carefree living were culled at that point. We stayed with family and a very vocal, complaining BIL to boot!

I saw and acknowledged all of the elements of Australia that many people have problems with on the forum. Both places visited seemed more sterile than I had imagined, had sprawling suburbia, alcohol was expensive, eating out was not cheap but was better quality and value for money, lots of soul-less food courts, poor driving etc. I came away quite undecided and it has taken a while to come back round to moving.

I know think a reccie with people already living in Australia is probably the best thing we ever did, as it gave us a more of a balanced view of what life was really like there. We did not expect it to be so expensive for example or to have the same whinges with the government or the same drains on society as we complain of here, you do perform the same tasks every day but perhaps in a nicer environment, with some added quality, weekends that can be relied on etc.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:56 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

jan xx
The fantastic feeling that you are here to stay and you don't have to count down the days to a flight back to a place you've been meticulously planning to leave for years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.