Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how different is it??.....

how different is it??.....

Old Nov 23rd 2006, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how different is it??.....

Originally Posted by monkeypeaches
We were lucky because we went for 6 months (WHV). At this point, we weren't intending to emigrate.

At first it was brilliant - beach every day, invited to barbecues, brand new hire car, typical holiday. Then we ran out of cash.

After staying with family for a few weeks we moved into a unit, bought a knackered old car and started work. It was only then that we really saw what it would be like to live in Oz. And to be honest, we didn't love it. Nothing stayed open late, there was no Starbucks, no bagels, the washing machine opened at the top :scared: We spent hours lamenting the state of journalism in WA and even longer laughing at the politicians. And don't even get me started on the bureaucracy After 6 months, bored and broke, we were ready to go home.

Then we arrived back in London, on a cold and rainy March morning. And it hit us - we actually had loved Australia, we just hadn't realised it. The things we thought were important really weren't. We quickly tired of a Starbucks on every corner, and we were so knackered from working all hours to be able to afford London rents that we didn't stay up long enough to appreciate the nightlife. OK I know that these are totally shallow reasons for liking or disliking a place, but we did consider the big things, and overall, we liked Australia better. Yes we were constantly broke there and living in a tiny unit, but we are constantly broke here and renting an even smaller flat that costs 6 times as much. So we decided to emigrate, and 3.5 years later we are almost there.
Rach xx
This is actually quite a refreshing post - the fact that you can have all emotions all at once. You hate it you love it you hate it you love it - you just need to wait for the needle to stop, really. I believe that if you are not sure about the UK stay in Australia as you probably will pingpong back. You have to allow for the grass is greener and trust your instincts. You can always be a bit down about your current lot.

My recce was a bit different in that it was a WHV but a mixture of family life 9-5 and hard work around Australia with a tiny bit of tourism thrown in. The upshot of all this is that I never got to see an estate in the entire year I was there and only came to see one when I moved to the outskirts of Melbourne chasing the combination of requirements. In some ways my family time was far harder than a new arrival - I had no place of my own and no transport at all.

I joined expats one night in early 2003 because I couldn't believe the amount of people living in suburbia and then complaining about it and my initial comments was to suggest to people to try and see the real Australia or avoid living like the majority especially when the same bugbears cropped up time and time again. 3 years on still very relieved that we did our own thing.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 11:17 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robos
thank you all for your answers

we are only on a reccie because we had to validate and we havent sold up yet cant make the big move untill weve sold up

since being here we had a big bill to pay unexpectadley and hubby is ill although we are not paying taxes and such or staying in our own house in the area we want but at least we have not just experienced the good life

me and the kids are loving it but as i said hubby is the one not well and he is unsure of it all now

thanks again for your answers

jan xx
Hi Jan I didnt realise you were already over there, sorry to hear your hubby is ill.

hope he's feeling better soon so you can enjoy the rest of your trip.

Old Nov 23rd 2006, 8:58 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
...I joined expats one night in early 2003 because I couldn't believe the amount of people living in suburbia and then complaining about it...
Gets my vote for best comment of the year.

The "how dare Australia not live up to my expectations" attitude amuses me too.

Big.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 9:50 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>I joined expats one night in early 2003 because I couldn't believe the amount of people living in suburbia and then complaining .............<<

"Number", Badge: "Number" <g>