Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How can you watch UK TV on your computer for Free in Australia?

How can you watch UK TV on your computer for Free in Australia?

Old Dec 5th 2012, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How can you watch UK TV on your computer for Free in Australia?

Originally Posted by rasen78
We did the week test. Our speed where we are varies. Just done it now and the download speed is 6.74mb and upload is 0.79 mb. This is with 2 laptops, my nexus at peak time.

Before we got it, the fastest speed I noticed was only around 7 mbs
That's actually pretty good, certainly should be more than enough for iPlayer and the like

Last edited by Lucas_Dad; Dec 5th 2012 at 9:18 am.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

DibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really nice

Thanks all, am getting a partner of a friend who is slightly more techi than me to look at this option sounds a bargin for $5 a month thanks again. D
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:12 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone here registered with huluplus? Just wondered about how to register for it without a US address? Tried using Paypal but that is registered to Aus, and our other bank acct is British. Any ideas?
Old Dec 6th 2012, 8:43 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone here registered with huluplus? Just wondered about how to register for it without a US address? Tried using Paypal but that is registered to Aus, and our other bank acct is British. Any ideas?
This is what I used:

http://www.buyfrompowerseller.com/hu...-subscription/

Worked well, paid for a year in advance. I recommend Netflix too.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:53 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
This is what I used:

http://www.buyfrompowerseller.com/hu...-subscription/

Worked well, paid for a year in advance. I recommend Netflix too.
Ta Renth. We've got Netfix (US), but Hulu has more up to date shows by the looks of it

Annoying that they are streaming sites and not downloads, but as we want to be legitimate guess that's pretty much out of the question unless we pay more.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 11:25 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Ta Renth. We've got Netfix (US), but Hulu has more up to date shows by the looks of it

Annoying that they are streaming sites and not downloads, but as we want to be legitimate guess that's pretty much out of the question unless we pay more.
They're both great IMO. I watch Saturday Night Live and Capital Account on Hulu but there's loads of other stuff. I do the iPlayer on my laptop which is a pain but I'm looking into buying a bluray player in the UK with iPlayer built in.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 2:21 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

Originally Posted by renth
They're both great IMO. I watch Saturday Night Live and Capital Account on Hulu but there's loads of other stuff. I do the iPlayer on my laptop which is a pain but I'm looking into buying a bluray player in the UK with iPlayer built in.
Got a problem with iplayer at the moment and the latest version of Adobe Air - apparently it's a known problem, so we're having to download to windows media When we get the dongle for the tv sorted, we can then use that as it's got the iplayer app on it
Old Dec 18th 2012, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest, I subscribed to StrongVPN on the last couple of days. US$55 for a year is a good price, and iPlayer works really well, also worked fine on my laptop and android tablet (but you can only use the VPN on one device at a time). However, TVCatchup.com does not work.

A little googling found this, which may or may not explain: http://tvcatchup-scam.blogspot.co.uk/
Old Dec 18th 2012, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

ovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really nice

^ It's an interesting read, though I would want to check all the sources before believing it 100%.

One thing that was incorrect was at the bottom, where it said TV-Catchup was breaking the same law it says it is trying to uphold by not allowing VPN's.

Sorry, but using a VPN to access TV in other countries is not against the law. Not in any normal country anyway. I do believe that in Iran and North Korea this is the case, but pretty much not anywhere else.

They key point to remember here is if someone is trying to get a paid service for free. In other words, someone trying to watch Sky TV in the UK without paying Sky. This is definitely illegal.

On the other hand, watching FTA (Free to Air) television for free is not illegal.

Any regions decided upon by TV companies is simply a contract between broadcasters and content providers. They don't make laws, they decide amongst themselves which regions they will broadcast to. If someone outside that region watches the free content, no law is broken.

Anyway, FilmOn also off UK channels, but I believe outside of Europe there is a monthly subscription. It may be worth the cost if you like live TV.

That said, a good VPN or even better, SmartDNS will get you all the main on-demand services from the UK which is probably easier to watch considering the time difference, and at least in the case of the BBC in full HD - plus they offer their channels live as well.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ovbg
They key point to remember here is if someone is trying to get a paid service for free. In other words, someone trying to watch Sky TV in the UK without paying Sky. This is definitely illegal.

On the other hand, watching FTA (Free to Air) television for free is not illegal.
In some countries perhaps, but for the UK unfortunately it could be argued that UK freeview is not actually truly free to air - you need a TV license. Being in Australia I don't pay for a UK TV license, so I shouldn't be allowed to watch BBC, ITV, etc. but I am choosing to conveniently ignore this, obviously

It is a bit of an urban myth that if you watch TV via PC (or similar) but do not watch live TV or even own a TV, you do not need a TV license. You do. It perhaps was once a grey area, but has not been for a long time.

But anyway, like I say, head in the sand regards all this and I'm off to use my nice new VPN to watch some HIGNFY and QI silliness while my 1yo is asleep
Old Dec 19th 2012, 2:03 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
It is a bit of an urban myth that if you watch TV via PC (or similar) but do not watch live TV or even own a TV, you do not need a TV license. You do. It perhaps was once a grey area, but has not been for a long time.
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-i...d-online-top8/
Old Dec 19th 2012, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Useful link - I stand corrected - this will teach me to believe what I read in the computer press!
Old Dec 19th 2012, 2:57 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
Useful link - I stand corrected - this will teach me to believe what I read in the computer press!
I think they got told by a lawyer or judge somewhere that their licence only covered live broadcasting - which made them pull their horns in.

If you have no interest in most of TV, you can save the money by just using the catchup services - not something they advertise.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

ovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really nice

Well, Channel 4 have done it, they finally put 4oD up on the Samsung Smart TV Platform. This means all the main UK channels now have their catch-up services available from the Samsung Smart Hub, BBC iPlayer (and BBC Sport), ITV Player, Demand 5 and now 4oD.

Check out the first review at http://www.eyeondemand.com/2013/02/05/4od-review/ if this interests you.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ovbg
Well, Channel 4 have done it, they finally put 4oD up on the Samsung Smart TV Platform. This means all the main UK channels now have their catch-up services available from the Samsung Smart Hub, BBC iPlayer (and BBC Sport), ITV Player, Demand 5 and now 4oD.

Check out the first review at http://www.eyeondemand.com/2013/02/05/4od-review/ if this interests you.
So all of those are available on a Samsung Smart TV in Australia, is that the correct understanding ?

Can one tweak the Samsung Smart Hub to work on a computer ?..... Or any of those media boxes from a Boxee through to a PS3/Xbox Apple TV WDHDLive etc ?

Will it work via my Galaxy Note ? Which I can obviously connect to my home network somehow.

I haven't been keeping up with this smart tv stuff, and that news has really surprised me.

I've got a feeling Ive got a damn good reason to "Root" my phone coming along at last ....

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 22nd 2013 at 12:25 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.