Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

House sale dilemma

House sale dilemma

Old Apr 24th 2004, 11:17 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Great result Elaine - fingers crossed you can squeeze that wee bit extra.

"Now come on ladies and gentlemen, bid up. This is a rare opportunity to own this luverly little property in a sought after street. Now just think of the pleasure you will get singing 'On Ilkley Moore Bar T'at' out of the window every morn"
Attached Thumbnails House sale dilemma-auction.jpg  
Old Apr 24th 2004, 11:31 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Bix
Great result Elaine - fingers crossed you can squeeze that wee bit extra.

"Now come on ladies and gentlemen, bid up. This is a rare opportunity to own this luverly little property in a sought after street. Now just think of the pleasure you will get singing 'On Ilkley Moore Bar T'at' out of the window every morn"
Thank you Bix,

However you will have to work on your spelling if you're going to try quoting at Yorkshire dialect:

It's "Ilkla Moor Baht'at" as in "Ilkley Moor without (baht) a hat". Being economical folk, we simply miss letters out and substitute apostrophes wherever possible.

OK?

Here endeth the Yorkshire dialect lesson!

Elaine M
Old Apr 24th 2004, 11:41 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Elaine M
Thank you Bix,

However you will have to work on your spelling if you're going to try quoting at Yorkshire dialect:

It's "Ilkla Moor Baht'at" as in "Ilkley Moor without (baht) a hat". Being economical folk, we simply miss letters out and substitute apostrophes wherever possible.

OK?

Here endeth the Yorkshire dialect lesson!

Elaine M
Ere maid. You Ilkla yor way and i Ilkley mine.
Tis bravin ard fer me t get me lolly licker round t english let alawn t yorks gibberish. Nuff t git a pardy proper confused me raya sunshine
Attached Images  
Old Apr 24th 2004, 11:58 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Bix
Ere maid. You Ilkla yor way and i Ilkley mine.
Tis bravin ard fer me t get me lolly licker round t english let alawn t yorks gibberish. Nuff t git a pardy proper confused me raya sunshine
Ok, ok, sorry I spoke - not a clue what you're saying to me now so let's call it quits.

Elaine M
Old Apr 25th 2004, 10:05 am
Go Banana's !!

Sorry for the delay in the update (been out tonight).

I hesitate to tell you, especially as Rach and Jill will hate me even more, but the cash buyer who viewed this am has put in an offer £2k higher!

The last viewing that was already booked has been moved to tomorrow at 11am. The lady still wants to view even though she knows there's an offer and a cash buyer involved, and says she is able to proceed too. She's coming from about 18 miles away so it doesn't sound like a time waster either.

Agreed with the agent that to be as fair as possible, we won't book any more viewings, and will see what the situation is by Monday (told the first couple we would let them know Monday if their offer is accepted). Whoever has put in offers will be made aware of the best offer that's in and have a chance to put in a final offer, say by Tuesday.

This may sound mercenary, but the first couple to offer asked to be kept informed if anyone else put in an offer so I feel I should give them a chance to come back if they really want it and can afford to go higher. They understood I want to get the best deal I can and as Bix said, the house is only worth what people are prepared to pay, no more and no less.

At the end of the day, £2k will pay my agent and most/all of the solicitor's fees and as it's costing me about a grand (and most of my furniture) to get my daughter and grandson set up in a flat, every bit helps.

Will update you again sometime tomorrow; sorry Rach and Jill (and anyone else in the house selling doldrums), hope things turn around for you soon!

Elaine M

I'm really pleased for you honest!

Had another viewer round this morning, just wanted something to do on a Sunday me thinks

Mine and Warrens stars both say a good deal will be struck on Friday:scared: spooky if that happened but not holding out too much.

Jill

Old Apr 25th 2004, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Elaine

Great news Elaine, i am pleased for you - honest!
just hope that now the warmer weather is on its way it'll bring more buyers out!
hugs
Rach x
Old Apr 26th 2004, 9:17 pm

Default Dilemma over

Just in case anyone out there is still awake/curious, I've agreed the sale of my house today.

The cash buyer liked it and put in an offer at £137k - £2k above the asking price.

The first couple came for a second viewing, they were told about the higher offer but decided they couldn't compete with a cash buyer and didn't want to/couldn't afford to raise their offer.

Hopefully we'll exchange contracts very quickly, and I'll instruct my solicitor to aim for completion no earlier than the end of June (gives me chance to clear things out/sort out stuff for shipping).

Elaine M
Old Apr 26th 2004, 9:53 pm
Location.. in my office

cadabra is an unknown quantity at this point

Best of luck to you. Its a great feeling when you know its sold.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 9:57 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dilemma over

Just in case anyone out there is still awake/curious, I've agreed the sale of my house today.

The cash buyer liked it and put in an offer at £137k - £2k above the asking price.

The first couple came for a second viewing, they were told about the higher offer but decided they couldn't compete with a cash buyer and didn't want to/couldn't afford to raise their offer.

Hopefully we'll exchange contracts very quickly, and I'll instruct my solicitor to aim for completion no earlier than the end of June (gives me chance to clear things out/sort out stuff for shipping).

Elaine M
Well Done Elaine M
Lets just hope everything goes smoothly for you.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 11:04 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Default Re: Dilemma over

Excellent news Elaine.

Car boot sale here you come
Old Apr 26th 2004, 11:16 pm

Thanks guys,

Bix - don't think I'll need a car boot sale, the girls have pretty much divvied up all my furniture and anything else they can get their hands on that isn't earmarked "For shipping to Aus"!

Just a few items remain - might be enough to hold a garage sale..

Elaine M