Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

House sale dilemma

House sale dilemma

Old Apr 23rd 2004, 8:16 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Elaine,
Make sure he takes off his mucky boots before viewing

Got it all crossed for you.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

we put ours on the market, 2 viewings later we got the asking price.

We were SSTC in 4 days.

We were upfront from the start, " we're emigrating and we want the asking price, no more, no less ".

We got it. In my opinion, don't play games, if you,ve got an offer and it's what you wanted, then take it, don't be greedy, count your blessings.

Good luck, be straight and be happy.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 10:53 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Bix
Elaine,
Make sure he takes off his mucky boots before viewing

Got it all crossed for you.
Thanks Bix,

I still can't believe it will go through this easily.

But then again they do say round here "Wheer there's muck there's brass"

Now I know why!

I've just realised what a squash it will be moving in with my mum; it will be worth it though.

I'm going to treat her to a really nice holiday before I go to Adelaide, probably either a Med cruise or, as she's coming out to spend a few weeks with me when I go, a series of stopovers on the way, on a round the world ticket.

Can't wait!!!

Good luck to everyone hoping for those nice viewers to fall in love with their house.

Elaine M
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

pagey is an unknown quantity at this point

Weve had our house on the market for just over two weeks and we`ve had 9 viewings and another one in the morning.
we have our flights booked for the 1st aug , so naturally we`re beginning to panic slightly , we are in a nice area and our house is v nice , however we put it on the market for 15k more than the valuers ( 4 in all ) so we are looking at lowering the price on maybe tue ( if no offer has been made )
if i was in a your position , i personally would be happy to take the asking price , however if i was offered the asking price on my first day day , i too would be thinking that i could get more, its a hard one to call , but try and remember that in a few months it will all be sorted and you`ll ( we`ll ) be looking back and saying what was all the fuss about, ask yourself :
are you happy with the asking price?
if so take it and get off , theres more to life than money , and once you`re in oz you`ll soon forget about the extra couple of grand , and in my opinion , its worth that that extra few grand to get there and start getting on with your new life .
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 11:31 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Pagey,

Try changing something to change the airwaves.
You could start by dumping that crap avatar

Anyway I am sending you some of my special positive vibes to help tou on your way.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

pagey is an unknown quantity at this point

Now now,
is that some form of feng shui ?
worth a try i spose
Wont be saying its a crap avatar tomoz after we whooop the mancs
Old Apr 24th 2004, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: House sale dilemma

Originally posted by Elaine M
Hi all,

For those in the house selling game at the moment, please don't all shout at me for posting this but I'm not sure what to do and would appreciate some advice.

I had my first couple round to view my house today (only advertised in the paper this morning! ) and having had a fairly quick look round they want to offer me the full asking price.

They have today agreed to sell their house to a first time buyer (with funds in place) so are very keen to find somewhere quickly and want to be in Ilkley as the wife has family here. Told them I'm moving in with my mum (true in the short term) so no chain.

The agent said I could get high offers and was thinking of trying a higher price but didn't want to kill it for me. There's another viewing already booked for Saturday teatime too.

I asked the couple to speak to the agent tomorrow, but was honest about the fact that the price could have been higher. They indicated they could stretch a bit further so I asked them to tell the agent honestly how far they could go and I'd ask the agent's advice tomorrow when I get a call.

I don't want to accept an offer then mess them around. At £135k I reckon I'm unlikely to get a first time buyer. There's a risk their sale could fall through, but the chain is only three long.

I think I could:

a) Accept their offer at £135k;

b) Accept their higher offer (if they can go higher);

c) Try to get a higher offer from the next viewer before deciding, with a) or b) to fall back on (told them about the other viewer - they said they could wait a couple of days only for my decision, but they might find another property and then I've lost them);

What would you do?

Elaine M
Elaine,

Are about to sell our property in Chester.

Have made good money in the last 2 year so are tempted to keep it going for a while but where we'd get a despoit form at the other end who knows.

Have had some good finanical advice (although the full effect won't happen till we pay the company and get a report and they get commision on some other things etc.) to keep the tennants we have in the hosue (we live in a house with my job at present), chnage the mortgage to ineterst only, get some incolme and hopefully ebenfit form the continued price rises in the north.

Just a thought.

at the end of the day you could take the offer and have a much less stressful time! Is 2 1/2 k or less worth it all at the end of the day?

Berian
Old Apr 24th 2004, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Berian
Elaine,

Are about to sell our property in Chester.

Have made good money in the last 2 year so are tempted to keep it going for a while but where we'd get a despoit form at the other end who knows.

Have had some good finanical advice (although the full effect won't happen till we pay the company and get a report and they get commision on some other things etc.) to keep the tennants we have in the hosue (we live in a house with my job at present), chnage the mortgage to ineterst only, get some incolme and hopefully ebenfit form the continued price rises in the north.

Just a thought.

at the end of the day you could take the offer and have a much less stressful time! Is 2 1/2 k or less worth it all at the end of the day?

Berian

so sorry but the spelling in this thread made me laugh were u pissed when you wrote it (no offence meant)

arlene
Old Apr 24th 2004, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

dave.t is an unknown quantity at this point

We had three estate agents round and we took the highest valuation.

Greedy...maybe...but we're not in any great hurry so we thought we'd test the waters and push our luck a bit..

It worked for us, we got roughly the asking price from the third viewer.

We were prepared to drop 1k as the lady who bought it has no chain as she is in rented accom after she divorced her very wealthy hubby and is a cash buyer!!!

Loverly bloody jubbly I say!!!

My in laws are just about to exchange contracts on their house....what a nightmare chain they are in. It is only 4 long but they have had a mountain of aggrovation. If I was you, whilst I understand the price is important, I would go for the least complicated chain. It can save you a whole load of trouble in the long run.

Good luck in whatever you decide....and just remember one thing if you sell for deffinate....No more bloody tidying up!!!
Old Apr 24th 2004, 10:54 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck Elaine

We sold for the asking price on the first day. We made it clear that we werent interested in offers and though we told them we were emigrating, we also let them know that us going wasnt dependant on the house sale, thus avoiding any silly games along the line. We could probably have got a bit more but are glad we sold quickly, keeping the house tidy just in case of viewings would be very stressful with my family!
Old Apr 24th 2004, 11:24 am
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by mcmercer
Good luck Elaine

We sold for the asking price on the first day. We made it clear that we werent interested in offers and though we told them we were emigrating, we also let them know that us going wasnt dependant on the house sale, thus avoiding any silly games along the line. We could probably have got a bit more but are glad we sold quickly, keeping the house tidy just in case of viewings would be very stressful with my family!

I HATE YOU ALL

Had our fifth viewers round this morning, seemed to like it, but their house not on the market.
Agent has told us not to say about Oz and we also think we are under valued, but everyone is telling us a different story, it's doin' me 'ead in , not including you lot.

Jill

Old Apr 24th 2004, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Go Banana's

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
I HATE YOU ALL

Ditto Jill, makes it worse for me cos i work for the agent who is 'selling?' ours! Had a record month in sales last month too! Not with mine they bloody didn't!
good luck Jill
from a frustrated
Rach x
Old Apr 24th 2004, 7:01 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally posted by Elaine M
The farmer rang this afternoon and arranged to view tomorrow morning at 10.30am, saying it will be another quick cash sale if he likes it.

I also still have the other viewer booked at 5.30pm tomorrow....
Well ?
We're waiting
Old Apr 24th 2004, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by arlene
so sorry but the spelling in this thread made me laugh were u pissed when you wrote it (no offence meant)

arlene
Regrettably not!
Old Apr 24th 2004, 11:01 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Sorry for the delay in the update (been out tonight).

I hesitate to tell you, especially as Rach and Jill will hate me even more, but the cash buyer who viewed this am has put in an offer £2k higher!

The last viewing that was already booked has been moved to tomorrow at 11am. The lady still wants to view even though she knows there's an offer and a cash buyer involved, and says she is able to proceed too. She's coming from about 18 miles away so it doesn't sound like a time waster either.

Agreed with the agent that to be as fair as possible, we won't book any more viewings, and will see what the situation is by Monday (told the first couple we would let them know Monday if their offer is accepted). Whoever has put in offers will be made aware of the best offer that's in and have a chance to put in a final offer, say by Tuesday.

This may sound mercenary, but the first couple to offer asked to be kept informed if anyone else put in an offer so I feel I should give them a chance to come back if they really want it and can afford to go higher. They understood I want to get the best deal I can and as Bix said, the house is only worth what people are prepared to pay, no more and no less.

At the end of the day, £2k will pay my agent and most/all of the solicitor's fees and as it's costing me about a grand (and most of my furniture) to get my daughter and grandson set up in a flat, every bit helps.

Will update you again sometime tomorrow; sorry Rach and Jill (and anyone else in the house selling doldrums), hope things turn around for you soon!

Elaine M

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.