Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Holiday Fun in Melbourne!

Holiday Fun in Melbourne!

Old Jul 22nd 2006, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Holiday Fun in Melbourne!

Originally Posted by Fiona&malc
yeah, we went there a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it, we all 'panned' for gold and the kids had a ball doing it. Would def recommend a trip there
(only thing id say is wrap up warm, no matter what time of year, Ballarat always seems to be cold!!)
If you want to have a little fun at Sovereign Hill, visit the brass shop up on the hill and get some brass filings. Then go panning for gold.

With a little sleight of hand, you could start a new gold rush.....

WW
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 4:06 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Matt Sabin
If anyone wants to see any photos then do take a look at our website. I know that some of the pictures are personal to us and so may not mean much to others but it may give you a vague idea of what living out here is like.
www.mattandlouisesabin.com
Cheers
Matt
what a great photo album! I count my blessings everyday but it's great to look at things and think 'i've been there/ I live here!' Nice reminder of how blessed we are.

Thanks!

LJJ
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 11:04 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
If you want to have a little fun at Sovereign Hill, visit the brass shop up on the hill and get some brass filings. Then go panning for gold.

With a little sleight of hand, you could start a new gold rush.....

WW
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 9:48 pm
Merc Tech

REGGIE has a spectacular aura aboutREGGIE has a spectacular aura aboutREGGIE has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Pootle
Just wanted to put up a thread saying what a great time we've had over the recent 2 week school break. Was going to post this before but didn't have the time! Now having read a few 'down with Melbourne' threads I felt I must put fingers to keyboard! In particular reading the 'moving back' forum (I know - I shouldn't even go in there!!) there's one poster who says she's "done Melbourne" after being here 6 months so is now moving back!! WTF??

In the holidays we've been to: Melbourne zoo, aquarium, melbourne museum (twice), scienceworks, immigration museum, sovereign hill, seen Disney on Ice, Rialto tower observation deck, met up with friends etc. Sat down by the yarra river with the sun shining watching the kids have fun by the water fountains. Been to Warrandyte state park (20 mins from us) and did a lovely nature walk along the river and spotted 6 wild koalas! You just can't beat it. Most of these places change the exhibitions regularly so there's always something new to see. A lot of them had special holiday activities put on for the kids e.g. a show or something to make or do.

A few things we just couldn't fit in these holidays - healesville sanctuary, puffing billy, hanging rock, well maybe next time!

Our kids are 7 and 4 and had a fantastic time. (Even having the in-laws stay didn't dampen our spirits!) We've been here 18 months now and have not once been bored.

There - just my words of encouragment for those yet to come! Melbourne is a great city with always something to do and we love it.

Ruth
Hi Ruth Melbourne is the place we are moving to when we have sold our house, hopefully around September time. We have never visited Melbourne and are so excited. Please can you tell me roughly how long it takes from Bacchus Marsh/Melton to Melbourne because i already have interviews in Melborne and Brighton when i arrive many thanks Ian
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by REGGIE
Hi Ruth Melbourne is the place we are moving to when we have sold our house, hopefully around September time. We have never visited Melbourne and are so excited. Please can you tell me roughly how long it takes from Bacchus Marsh/Melton to Melbourne because i already have interviews in Melborne and Brighton when i arrive many thanks Ian
Hi,
Are you planning to live out that way then? It's quite a way out - about an hour I would think in 'non' rush hour traffic. Try here for travel routes and distances: http://www2.visitmelbourne.com.au/di...047C/vvt.vhtml

Matt - sounds like you're having lots of fun also! Loved your pictures.

Ruth
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 9:25 am
Merc Tech

REGGIE has a spectacular aura aboutREGGIE has a spectacular aura aboutREGGIE has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Holiday Fun in Melbourne!

Originally Posted by Pootle
Hi,
Are you planning to live out that way then? It's quite a way out - about an hour I would think in 'non' rush hour traffic. Try here for travel routes and distances: http://www2.visitmelbourne.com.au/di...047C/vvt.vhtml

Matt - sounds like you're having lots of fun also! Loved your pictures.

Ruth
Hi Ruth thanks for your help i may have to reconsider areas.
Ian
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 7:02 pm
2007 Emigrants

Mike & Zoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aaron8123
Yes I do feel that I have seen most of what melbourne has to offer, my problem not yours, I get bored very easily.
It's kind of 'horses for courses' really. Last time I was in Aus, I spent just over a fortnight in Melb. and did none of the things that have been suggested on this forum (with the exception of an afternoon trip along the Great Coast Road, and a day at the Museum).
We spent most of our time eating, drinking, and generally chilling out in Fitzroy, going to the movies, Victoria Market, cycling round the gardens, (more) eating out in St. Kilda, and shopping in Prahran. We never ran out of things to do.
We live in London now, but that's not to say we spend all our time trudging along behind the tourists at Mme. Tussauds - there's a whole spectrum of things to see and do, and one person's idea of what a city has to offer can be radically different from someone elses. Life's what you make it.

Anway, just my two cents worth - I must say I'm surprised you got bored of Melb. so quickly... what city are you returning to ?