Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Holiday Fun in Melbourne!

Holiday Fun in Melbourne!

Old Jul 6th 2006, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Holiday Fun in Melbourne!

Just wanted to put up a thread saying what a great time we've had over the recent 2 week school break. Was going to post this before but didn't have the time! Now having read a few 'down with Melbourne' threads I felt I must put fingers to keyboard! In particular reading the 'moving back' forum (I know - I shouldn't even go in there!!) there's one poster who says she's "done Melbourne" after being here 6 months so is now moving back!! WTF??

In the holidays we've been to: Melbourne zoo, aquarium, melbourne museum (twice), scienceworks, immigration museum, sovereign hill, seen Disney on Ice, Rialto tower observation deck, met up with friends etc. Sat down by the yarra river with the sun shining watching the kids have fun by the water fountains. Been to Warrandyte state park (20 mins from us) and did a lovely nature walk along the river and spotted 6 wild koalas! You just can't beat it. Most of these places change the exhibitions regularly so there's always something new to see. A lot of them had special holiday activities put on for the kids e.g. a show or something to make or do.

A few things we just couldn't fit in these holidays - healesville sanctuary, puffing billy, hanging rock, well maybe next time!

Our kids are 7 and 4 and had a fantastic time. (Even having the in-laws stay didn't dampen our spirits!) We've been here 18 months now and have not once been bored.

There - just my words of encouragment for those yet to come! Melbourne is a great city with always something to do and we love it.

Ruth
Old Jul 6th 2006, 1:14 pm
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday Fun in Melbourne!

Originally Posted by Pootle

In the holidays we've been to: Melbourne zoo, aquarium, melbourne museum (twice), scienceworks, immigration museum, sovereign hill, seen Disney on Ice, Rialto tower observation deck, met up with friends etc. Sat down by the yarra river with the sun shining watching the kids have fun by the water fountains. Been to Warrandyte state park (20 mins from us) and did a lovely nature walk along the river and spotted 6 wild koalas! You just can't beat it.
Is it just me, or is Sovereign Hill one of THE best tourist attractions ever?
Old Jul 6th 2006, 1:42 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mackinnon
Don't know, when we were in Ballarat, there was a real fire glowing in the background :scared:
Old Jul 6th 2006, 1:55 pm
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, we went there a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it, we all 'panned' for gold and the kids had a ball doing it. Would def recommend a trip there
(only thing id say is wrap up warm, no matter what time of year, Ballarat always seems to be cold!!)
Old Jul 6th 2006, 2:27 pm
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

Have to agree with you that Melbourne has plenty to keep you occupied. We went to see Disney on Ice and we all thoroughly enjoyed it. Also drove down to Inverloch, what a lovely place and then went to Philip Island on the way back. Last Sunday took the girls to the new Cardinia Life pool which has just opened near us and they had a whale of a time.

Lorraine
Old Jul 6th 2006, 3:40 pm
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fiona&malc
yeah, we went there a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it, we all 'panned' for gold and the kids had a ball doing it. Would def recommend a trip there
(only thing id say is wrap up warm, no matter what time of year, Ballarat always seems to be cold!!)
Coldest I've ever been in Australia was in Ballarat.
Old Jul 6th 2006, 3:41 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Coldest I've ever been was in Mildura
Old Jul 6th 2006, 3:43 pm
Home.

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Coldest I've ever been was in Mildura
Do you mean physically cold or spiritually cold?
Old Jul 6th 2006, 3:44 pm
Take it easy

Do you mean physically cold or spiritually cold?
Physically....frost on the ground at night
Old Jul 6th 2006, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

We had a beautiful warm day up there - it was about 15 degrees according to the forecast but the sun shone and we sat outside and felt really warm - I'd dressed the kids up in jumpers and fleeces expecting it to be cold though!
Old Jul 6th 2006, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

aaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant future

Just wanted to put up a thread saying what a great time we've had over the recent 2 week school break. Was going to post this before but didn't have the time! Now having read a few 'down with Melbourne' threads I felt I must put fingers to keyboard! In particular reading the 'moving back' forum (I know - I shouldn't even go in there!!) there's one poster who says she's "done Melbourne" after being here 6 months so is now moving back!! WTF??

In the holidays we've been to: Melbourne zoo, aquarium, melbourne museum (twice), scienceworks, immigration museum, sovereign hill, seen Disney on Ice, Rialto tower observation deck, met up with friends etc. Sat down by the yarra river with the sun shining watching the kids have fun by the water fountains. Been to Warrandyte state park (20 mins from us) and did a lovely nature walk along the river and spotted 6 wild koalas! You just can't beat it. Most of these places change the exhibitions regularly so there's always something new to see. A lot of them had special holiday activities put on for the kids e.g. a show or something to make or do.

A few things we just couldn't fit in these holidays - healesville sanctuary, puffing billy, hanging rock, well maybe next time!

Our kids are 7 and 4 and had a fantastic time. (Even having the in-laws stay didn't dampen our spirits!) We've been here 18 months now and have not once been bored.

There - just my words of encouragment for those yet to come! Melbourne is a great city with always something to do and we love it.

Ruth
Hey, if you do not agree that is fine, but do not slag off my post and do not mock the fact that I am going back. Yes I do feel that I have seen most of what melbourne has to offer, my problem not yours, I get bored very easily. It is my opinion which is just as valid as yours. I came on a 457 visa did not uproot lock stock and barrel and did not sell my home. I am in a fortunate position that I can return with no real hardship and I choose to do so as melbourne is not for me. Is it so difficult to swallow, that some people do not like it, that's why I posted on the going back to UK forum not here!!!!

I do hope you continue to enjoy melbourne for many years to come and wish you all the best for the future.
Old Jul 6th 2006, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aaron8123
Hey, if you do not agree that is fine, but do not slag off my post and do not mock the fact that I am going back. Yes I do feel that I have seen most of what melbourne has to offer, my problem not yours, I get bored very easily. It is my opinion which is just as valid as yours. I came on a 457 visa did not uproot lock stock and barrel and did not sell my home. I am in a fortunate position that I can return with no real hardship and I choose to do so as melbourne is not for me. Is it so difficult to swallow, that some people do not like it, that's why I posted on the going back to UK forum not here!!!!

I do hope you continue to enjoy melbourne for many years to come and wish you all the best for the future.

I don't ever knock the fact that anyone is going back. If someone has had the guts to come here and give it a go, then decides that it's not for them then good luck to them. Sorry if I came across as having a go at your post, that really wasn't my intention. It was just the way you said "right we've done Melbourne now!" I'm sorry it just tickled me. If it's not for you then it's not for you.

It's not difficult to swallow that some don't like it here, I was merely saying what a nice time we'd had over the holidays for those that have yet to move. Honestly I had been meaning to post to that effect a few days ago but didn't get around to it.

I wish you all the best with your move back and am sorry if I have offended you.

Ruth
Old Jul 6th 2006, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

aaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant future

I don't ever knock the fact that anyone is going back. If someone has had the guts to come here and give it a go, then decides that it's not for them then good luck to them. Sorry if I came across as having a go at your post, that really wasn't my intention. It was just the way you said "right we've done Melbourne now!" I'm sorry it just tickled me. If it's not for you then it's not for you.

It's not difficult to swallow that some don't like it here, I was merely saying what a nice time we'd had over the holidays for those that have yet to move. Honestly I had been meaning to post to that effect a few days ago but didn't get around to it.

I wish you all the best with your move back and am sorry if I have offended you.

Ruth
All is forgiven LOL, I did reply to my post again saying I was being a bit harsh on melbourne, albeit it being a bit tongue in cheek. It really is our problem no-one elses, we are not very good settlers, missing the family too much, more than anything else. I have to hand it to those who settle here, it takes some doing.
Old Jul 6th 2006, 4:44 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Ruth
Hi Pootle,

How refreshing to see manners on the site. Hopefully the poster will accept the apology just as graciously. I was just thinking of deleting my link to BritExpats website as it's got pretty nasty and some people ask for honest opinions to help them and then others take offence because it doesn't agree with their view!

Good Luck Aaron8123 and thanks Pootle for pointing out a few other places for the odd weekend visit...Brr! Ballarrat is cold, been to Olinda? Frrreezing but beautiful.

LJJ
Old Jul 6th 2006, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aaron8123
All is forgiven LOL, I did reply to my post again saying I was being a bit harsh on melbourne, albeit it being a bit tongue in cheek. It really is our problem no-one elses, we are not very good settlers, missing the family too much, more than anything else. I have to hand it to those who settle here, it takes some doing.
Our family were about 4 hours away and in-laws were in Scotland so we didn't see them very often. Certainly didn't have family nearby enough to be a help with the kids etc so I suppose we were used to living apart from them - it just takes them a bit longer to get here now!!

Good luck with your plans. As you said at least you still have your house to go back to. We've just put ours up for sale! I don't know if we'll stay 'forever' but I would think for a few more years yet. It's funny, I read posts on the going back forum about people missing the family support and I start getting all homesick, then I realise - I'm missing something I didn't have! I used to get sad back home when it was 'grandparents day' at nursery or whatever and we had no-one nearby. Deary me I'm really starting to ramble now,
better go it'll be school pickup soon!

All the best!

Ruth

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.