Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

hi from tauranga nz

hi from tauranga nz

Old Apr 26th 2003, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

firing1 is an unknown quantity at this point

we haven't seen the article yet, our parents are posting it out to us. yeah it was wierd being filmed at first but you do get used to it and the publicity will help our business especially if the program goes out over here. nz radio (sort of like radio one) did a live telephone interview with us last week and we've got an interview at the local radio station next week and the local newspaper as well so we are still seeing the benefit of being filmed. it's just strange not knowing what footage they'll show or how they are going to edit it. anyway things are still good here we went out on our own for the first time last night (rattlife babysat for us) and it was good to meet people our own age and drink strange new zealand beer.
bye for now
Old Apr 30th 2003, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

sputnikspouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by firing1
we haven't seen the article yet, our parents are posting it out to us. yeah it was wierd being filmed at first but you do get used to it and the publicity will help our business especially if the program goes out over here. nz radio (sort of like radio one) did a live telephone interview with us last week and we've got an interview at the local radio station next week and the local newspaper as well so we are still seeing the benefit of being filmed. it's just strange not knowing what footage they'll show or how they are going to edit it. anyway things are still good here we went out on our own for the first time last night (rattlife babysat for us) and it was good to meet people our own age and drink strange new zealand beer.
bye for now
hi there
sorry i've been off for a few days had computer crash out.but hopefully repaired now .how is everyone doing is your wife still homesick or is it getting better? Hows the business doing? have you met with gav for that pint yet.
what is the local shopping area in papamoa like do they have a lot and a good selection of shops or do you find you have to go further to buy things. Is your business in papamoa or tauranga?
take care.
Old Apr 30th 2003, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Scarlett G
Hi there,
We lived in Matua which was really lovely, very nice area, good for familys, quite a small area and only 5 mins into town, excellent schools but then most of them are.
Papamoa is really nice also, it is over on The Mount side of the bay, a bit bigger are with a lot of new house developments, it is one of the fastest growing areas over there. Bethlehem (no joke) is a very nice area also, lots of new developments again and good schools, a bit further out from Tauranga town centre. The best thing is to rent first and have really good look around as each area is quite different depending on your needs. We would definately go back to Matua though as it was so nice.
check your p.m.box
Old May 1st 2003, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

hi, the business is picking up and julie is still homesick but it's more financial pressure and the fact that we haven't sold our house yet that makes her homesick.
the shops in papamoa are fine (big modern shopping mall) then there is a huge mall just down the road called bayfair.(they probably have a website)
we live in papamoa but my business is mobile so i cover all areas.
my daughters school has a website it is www.mtprimary.co.nz
i think we are on tv on the 13th may bbc2. it's a bit weird because we haven't seen it and so don't know how it's going to be put across. i met gavin for that pint and he even babysat for us one night which was cool. we are taking him down to the mount tomorrow night for a meal as he flys back to the uk on sat.
cheers for keeping in touch.
Old May 1st 2003, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

N.Finn Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good luck

Good luck, hope you settle in. Best wishes with selling your house in the UK.
Old May 1st 2003, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

hi, the business is picking up and julie is still homesick but it's more financial pressure and the fact that we haven't sold our house yet that makes her homesick.
the shops in papamoa are fine (big modern shopping mall) then there is a huge mall just down the road called bayfair.(they probably have a website)
we live in papamoa but my business is mobile so i cover all areas.
my daughters school has a website it is www.mtprimary.co.nz
i think we are on tv on the 13th may bbc2. it's a bit weird because we haven't seen it and so don't know how it's going to be put across. i met gavin for that pint and he even babysat for us one night which was cool. we are taking him down to the mount tomorrow night for a meal as he flys back to the uk on sat.
cheers for keeping in touch.
it must have been good to meet up with gavin it's nice to put a face to the person you only chat to on this forum. Hope you get some luck soon with your house sale although the financial pressure shouldnt be too bad now that the business is going well or do you still have a mortgage to pay back here also.thanks for the thread on the primary school my 9 yr old Lee has just had a look at the photographs of the children doing different activities and he says its cool will that be the school I will go to and I said yes hopefully someday soon.
If you can find any websites for the shopping areas or malls i should be gratefull to get a look at what kind and type of shops they already have.
YES it is next Tues.for your programme i am so looking forward to it i hope you did a good job {YOU WILL BE FAMOUS]
Tell Julie to keep her chin up it will all work out in the end. she should be looking forward to the rellies coming for their hols.
take care
Old May 1st 2003, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

stooly is an unknown quantity at this point

Found this website if any good www.citynews.co.nz
Hope this helps it has a web cam has well.
Samantha
Old May 2nd 2003, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Scarlett G is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tauranga info

Originally posted by sputnikspouse
check your p.m.box
Have sent message to your pm. Also try www.businesses4sale.co.nz it is a Taranga based real estate agent who also deals in businesses.
Old May 5th 2003, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

we met gavin and he was cool. i took him for some nz beer (nice , cold but not as strong as the uk) he wanted to get some surfing in but the sea went flat calm the day he arrived and we didn't get waves til the day he left. hopefully he'll put something up on this thread once he gets over the jet lag.
yeah we have got a mortgage to pay in the uk so this is a major stress. thanks for the support and let us know what the program is like.
business has picked up again this month so thats good news and apart from the stress about the house the family are fine.
we have started to make friends and although things still feel a little bit alien i don't want to come back to the uk. once our house sells we will be completely set up.
Old May 5th 2003, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

we met gavin and he was cool. i took him for some nz beer (nice , cold but not as strong as the uk) he wanted to get some surfing in but the sea went flat calm the day he arrived and we didn't get waves til the day he left. hopefully he'll put something up on this thread once he gets over the jet lag.
yeah we have got a mortgage to pay in the uk so this is a major stress. thanks for the support and let us know what the program is like.
business has picked up again this month so thats good news and apart from the stress about the house the family are fine.
we have started to make friends and although things still feel a little bit alien i don't want to come back to the uk. once our house sells we will be completely set up.
hi
the threads on this forum have been very quiet the last few days I think most must be taking advantage of the bank holiday weekend and took off. we've been stuck at home doing the decorating it's just one of the jobs we keep puting off but got stuck in and it was worth it looking gooood.
can you not freeze your mortgage here in the uk untill the house sells then the payments you owe will be taken from the profit?
just a thought have heard of people doing this in the past but don't know what the circumstances were. it might be worth finding out about it may help in the meantime.
Sad there were no waves for Gav to surf but maybe next time.
he has'ent managed to get back on the forum yet maybe having difficulties with jet lag do you think he enjoyed his fact finding mission?
nice to hear you are making new friends I thinkwhen you have a business that you are continually meeting people it's a big help especially in a stange country.
does Julie enjoy working with you in the business?
must go the shower is calling got as much paint in my hair as on the walls
regards & take care
Old May 6th 2003, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

we were allowed to freeze the mortgage for three months but time has run out now so we have to pay it again if the house doesn't sell in the next four weeks. if anyone has any good ideas let me know. we can't rent it out because we need the money from the sale to buy our property here. anyway we just read that house prices in the midlands are predicted to rise 11% this year so maybe the papers should print that on their front page instead of the usual scare stories about prices falling (which hasn't happened apart from london maybe)
i think gavin enjoyed his visit and we gave him loads of info to take home. he also saw that it is difficult and we still go through a whole range of emotions regarding the move. anyway i've been asked to judge the battle of the bands again this saturday so that'll be a good night and i've just got a big order for the business so i'm working flat out at the moment.
seems weird the tv show going out next week as we are so far away and it seems like such a long time ago.anyway i hope it's interesting.
Old May 6th 2003, 9:12 pm
Now in Tauranga

ratliffe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I have just woke up!

hEY YOU GUYS ! stop talking about me, ive just woke up from jet lag, calll me a pussy but i am still knackered now.i got lost in Auckland on the way back and had only 45 minutes spare at the airport to check in and so on.then i was held at LAX for 3 hours because of my previous residency in the U.S.A years ago so i had to surrender my green card. this concluded in me to miss my connecting flight (w--k--s) anyway i got on a later flight with air new zealand.
Tauranga!!!!!
i cant think of a better place to live and bring up children, i can understand people asking questions like where are the shops and how hard is it to find a job and what are the houses like????
All i can say is go there yourself and experience the relaxed atmosphere and the freindlyness in people, Tauranga is a quiute a big city with not the outback like people may think,upmarket and very up to date may ahead of us in a lot of cases.
Paul and Julie have got a graet house close to the beach,a house which most of us just talk about and say that will be me one day,
One of the best things that paul and julie have got that will keep them going during the lonely times is the fact that they have got a good strong relationship.
I had a great time in papamoa for 2 weeks, and yes! we will be making the move a.s.a.p, git our medicals in Birmingham on thursday but still not received our police certificates.
I also have a property lined up in papamoa. i had a job interview the day after i arrived in new zealand and they wanted me to start work that day.theres loads of oportunities for everyone but dont expect oportunity to grab a hold of you, you have to look for it.

After everyone has watched the programme next tuesday about Paul and Julie relocating to new zealand, i will put my comments forward as i have been with them.
Dont forget Paul, i will be back for that meal ! you really shit out because we have 3 gready kids that want afters and drink like fish!!!!!!
It was great spending time with Paul and julie as they are really nice people and it will be nice seeing them again. you never know we could be really great mates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 7th 2003, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Scarlett G is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to hear that you had a fab time in Tauranga, you are right is the best place to be especially if you have kids, it's a really lovely place, very clean and well kept. What sort of work will you be doing out there?
Can't wait to see the programme next week ,it will be lovely to see all the familiar places again although I'll probably spend the entire programme sobbing onto my drink thinking 'why, why, why did we come back to the uk!!!' BUT hopefully returning soon,
Scarlett
Old May 10th 2003, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

hello again,
there seems to be a lot of interest in the program over here too.
people are e mailing friends and relatives in the uk to let them know it's on. we are in the local paper quite a bit which is a bit weird but good for business. our house is up with a new agent now in the uk and we've told them in no uncertain terms to sell it quickly. hope the show is good on tuesday i'm glad we are over here out of the way!
Old May 10th 2003, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

stooly is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with the new agent and glad to hear the business is going well. We've just had a offer to buy a business in Tauranga, we're thinking about it.
Looking forward to the program on Tuesday. Can't wait to get out there roll on December, living in Surrey is doing my head in. You lucky people!
Samantha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.