Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

hi from tauranga nz

hi from tauranga nz

Old Apr 11th 2003, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

firing1 is an unknown quantity at this point

sammy, i don't know about specific opportunities regarding accountancy work but tauranga has a mass of small business's who all need accountants. there are people here who will help you set up your own business free of charge but you will need to make sure you have enough money to live off and don't expect to get uk wages.
we have found the schools and nurseries here to be excellent and easy to enroll in (no waiting lists)
good luck
Old Apr 11th 2003, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

sputnikspouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by firing1
yeah, we both work in the business and we ran our own business in the music industry in the uk. we did use an agent but i filled in the forms and did the business plan myself the agency just checked over it for us (we didn't have to change everything) i think it cost about £800 for this service. in hindsight we probably didn't need the agent but they were very good and gave us loads of help and advice and peace of mind! it was the immigration group based in chester.
the weather here is great at the moment, it's autumn and its sunny (23) apparently we will still be able to wear shorts in winter just cooler mornings and evenings.
if you are looking at buying a shop location will be the most important thing!
thanks for the promt reply, have been quoted £610 agents fee plus £835 for help with business plan, a lot of money it's money we could use for helping us out in n.z. Think we will do the forms ourselves look quite straight forward have been to the bank and got a business plan form. havent tackled one of these before looks a bit complicated just not sure how much info. the immigration expect, the gov't. site says a good b.plan but when u have'nt done one before what is good?
Could I ask a huge favour you don,t have a copy of your business plan you could fax or email to me it would be a great help to see exactly what is required. if this is possible can send you my email address or fax no. whatever u prefer. sun has been shining here a bit today but it was extremely cold. I thought it might snow it was so nippy u won't get snow in winter will u. do u get time to enjoy that sunshine or is it all work work work?Any luck with your house sale yet. are you renting at present?
take care in tauranga.
Old Apr 13th 2003, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

i haven't got the business plan unfortunately immigration kept it. there is plenty of help available on the net just type in business plans on a search engine. have you ran your own business in the uk before as i think this may be a requirement of applying for a long term business visa. our house hasn't sold yet which is putting a big strain on us but we had a film crew round today doing an update and we've mentioned this so hopefully someone watching the show might want to buy our house.
we are in a rent to buy agreement here which basically means we are renting this house until ours sells then we will buy it.
it's really warm and sunny here and apparently will stay that way for at least another month!
Old Apr 13th 2003, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

i haven't got the business plan unfortunately immigration kept it. there is plenty of help available on the net just type in business plans on a search engine. have you ran your own business in the uk before as i think this may be a requirement of applying for a long term business visa. our house hasn't sold yet which is putting a big strain on us but we had a film crew round today doing an update and we've mentioned this so hopefully someone watching the show might want to buy our house.
we are in a rent to buy agreement here which basically means we are renting this house until ours sells then we will buy it.
it's really warm and sunny here and apparently will stay that way for at least another month!
Thanks I will try to find info. from search engines as you suggest. yes I do run a small florists shop at the moment but did'nt need a business plan as I did'nt need to borrow any money to set up. the shop is not v.a.t. registered I try to keep below the level to save on paperwork and hassle. so when I apply for a long term business visa what will I need for proof of business will tax returns do? The turn over of the business is small as I run it on my own and is not in a prime location (am in a small town) will the small turnover make a difference to the immigration? We would like to have a larger business in N.Z. and hopefully run it as a family instead of just me. any suggestions on location for us? we don't want Auckland it looks too expensive. had read about Tauranga on a site called escape artist and thought it sounded good, sunniest, driest, good size town etc. so it is nice to chat to someone who is actually there.what made u choose tauranga that seems to be the most difficult thing choosing a location when you have never been there did u rent your property before you went to n.z.I have managed to find a few rental sites but choosing a home is like choosing a location very difficult when you only see photographs. can't wait to see you all on telly looks as if the n.z. one is quite a few weeks away yet. Do u think u have all settled where u are and will u stay in n.z.
take care in tauranga.
Old Apr 14th 2003, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

yes your tax returns can be used as proof of your business. i also wasn't vat registered in the uk. tauranga is a great place, i suggest you try to come out here for a few weeks first and take a look around. i don't know much about florists but like any big town there seems to be a few around. we came here for the reasons you mentioned plus it is the fastest growing city so from a business point of view there are always new customers. we love it here, we have got homesickness but won't be going back to the uk. tauranga seems to be the place new zealanders want to live we haven't heard a bad word about it from the people who live here, somebody told me "you've got everything auckland has but without the hassle"
it is very difficult to find somewhere to rent here(the bbc did it for us) but i know a very good real estate agent who can point you in the right direction.
Old Apr 14th 2003, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

yes your tax returns can be used as proof of your business. i also wasn't vat registered in the uk. tauranga is a great place, i suggest you try to come out here for a few weeks first and take a look around. i don't know much about florists but like any big town there seems to be a few around. we came here for the reasons you mentioned plus it is the fastest growing city so from a business point of view there are always new customers. we love it here, we have got homesickness but won't be going back to the uk. tauranga seems to be the place new zealanders want to live we haven't heard a bad word about it from the people who live here, somebody told me "you've got everything auckland has but without the hassle"
it is very difficult to find somewhere to rent here(the bbc did it for us) but i know a very good real estate agent who can point you in the right direction.
Do I need anything other than a good business plan and some tax returns or will that suffice? yes what u say about tauranga is exactly as I had read on that site I was telling u about. u say u have got home sickness have u left lots of family here? We have 2 boys 9yrs and 20yrs but the older one does not want to come with us girlfriend, mates etc. that will be the hardest thing for us leaving him behind we had the most terrible scare with him last year 1st march he had a huge operation to remove a brain tumour it was such a shock so out of the blue he had always been fit and healthy but it's been over a year now and he has the all clear from the hospital and I must say it has made us look at life in a different perspective. we have always wanted to move abroad to live but never quite done anything about it and we think now is the time if my son changes his mind at a later date he could always come and stay. any word on your house sale? have u got someone looking after it?does the real estate agent u mentioned have a web site?
take care in tauranga
Old Apr 15th 2003, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

yeah we left all our family, grandparents, friends etc and it is very, very hard.they are already booking flights to come and see us next summer though! my wife constantly talks about going home to sort out our house sale in the uk(this is causing us major stress!!). estate agents in the uk are useless they should see how the agents out here work!!! the estate agent we used is called jennifer peacocke and she works at harveys real estate mount maunganui. i'll send you her e mail address. re the business plan , yes that is the main part of the ltbv application (and tax returns) just make sure your plan works on paper we did three projections of potential earnings of our business here and we are already achieving the first projected income level. like i say if you do come out here be prepared financially for the business to take time getting off the ground.
Old Apr 15th 2003, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

perth-ect is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Zealand Visa

We have been looking to go to Oz on a spouse visa, (wife is Australian citizen) but does anyone know if we would be allowed to go to NZ instead - we understand Ozzies have automatic rights to live there -does this include the spouse also?

The more we hear about NZ the more we like the sound of it, but are we eligible?

Geoff & Debbie
Old Apr 16th 2003, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Scarlett G is an unknown quantity at this point

[Just to say 'Good Luck' to the family who have gone out to Tauranga to live (part of the BBC2 programme). It is a fantastic place, we lived there for a year and the came home to the UK last year as we were very homesick, it's hard to make new friends and feel settled .The first 6 months are excellent , then homesickness sets in BUT get through it and it will be worth it. We now realise we shouldn't have come back as the lifestyle was so good and are now planning to return to Tauranga very soon!!
P.S. Visit The Pantry Shop in Tauranga centre, it is fantastic!!
Old Apr 16th 2003, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Scarlett G
[Just to say 'Good Luck' to the family who have gone out to Tauranga to live (part of the BBC2 programme). It is a fantastic place, we lived there for a year and the came home to the UK last year as we were very homesick, it's hard to make new friends and feel settled .The first 6 months are excellent , then homesickness sets in BUT get through it and it will be worth it. We now realise we shouldn't have come back as the lifestyle was so good and are now planning to return to Tauranga very soon!!
P.S. Visit The Pantry Shop in Tauranga centre, it is fantastic!!
hi we are a family looking to relocate to tauranga which area did you stay in? we have been hearing that papamoa is good can you recommend any other subberbs. we are also looking forward to seeing the programme can't wait.
Old Apr 16th 2003, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

yeah we left all our family, grandparents, friends etc and it is very, very hard.they are already booking flights to come and see us next summer though! my wife constantly talks about going home to sort out our house sale in the uk(this is causing us major stress!!). estate agents in the uk are useless they should see how the agents out here work!!! the estate agent we used is called jennifer peacocke and she works at harveys real estate mount maunganui. i'll send you her e mail address. re the business plan , yes that is the main part of the ltbv application (and tax returns) just make sure your plan works on paper we did three projections of potential earnings of our business here and we are already achieving the first projected income level. like i say if you do come out here be prepared financially for the business to take time getting off the ground.
will I need audited accounts of the business i have here? I don't have them audited I usually fill in the tax forms myself. good to hear u have managed to meet your first projected income level that must be a good feeling it shows your plan was realistic.how long is your business plan for (how far ahead do u have to make projections for) Hope your wife's homesickness is getting better it is bound to happen I suppose when u move such a long way from family hopefully she will read the well wishes from the other writer who has added to this thread . tell her to keep her chin up we are rooting for u all
take care in Tauranga
Old Apr 16th 2003, 10:31 pm
Now in Tauranga

ratliffe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sputnikspouse
hi we are a family looking to relocate to tauranga which area did you stay in? we have been hearing that papamoa is good can you recommend any other subberbs. we are also looking forward to seeing the programme can't wait.
Hi there Sputnikspouse.
Guess what! i'm going to papamoa Tauranga on saturday for 2 weeks because myself and family hopefully will be living there soon after.I hope firing 1 is reading this because his taking me out for a pint when i get over there. I have got a job interview already!!!
I will be staying in papamoa for my duration, so when i come back i will be more than happy to let everyone know what i think it is like in a 2 week period.live your dream and good luck!
Old Apr 17th 2003, 6:20 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Zealand Visa

Originally posted by perth-ect
We have been looking to go to Oz on a spouse visa, (wife is Australian citizen) but does anyone know if we would be allowed to go to NZ instead - we understand Ozzies have automatic rights to live there -does this include the spouse also?

The more we hear about NZ the more we like the sound of it, but are we eligible?

Geoff & Debbie
If you have Aus citizenship or Aus PR you can automatically get NZ PR too, given on request at entry to NZ. You must have Aus RRV too if you are a PR holder. Check this forum for more details.

Cheers - Don
Old Apr 17th 2003, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New Zealand Visa

Originally posted by perth-ect

Geoff & Debbie

Hi

You need citizenship of Oz before you can move to NZ to live and work. Your wife wouldn't have a problem if she has Oz citizenship, but I'm not sure about your with just PR.

When I moved to NZ from UK with PR I had to get visas to holiday in Oz, it's only when I got citizenship and a NZ passport I didn't have to worry about visas.

I believe the previous poster is wrong in that respect.
Old Apr 17th 2003, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Scarlett G is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sputnikspouse
Hi there,
We lived in Matua which was really lovely, very nice area, good for familys, quite a small area and only 5 mins into town, excellent schools but then most of them are.
Papamoa is really nice also, it is over on The Mount side of the bay, a bit bigger are with a lot of new house developments, it is one of the fastest growing areas over there. Bethlehem (no joke) is a very nice area also, lots of new developments again and good schools, a bit further out from Tauranga town centre. The best thing is to rent first and have really good look around as each area is quite different depending on your needs. We would definately go back to Matua though as it was so nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.