Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Have we made a mistake coming?

Have we made a mistake coming?

Old May 22nd 2008, 8:56 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been here 4 months now first doubts

Originally Posted by LisaT
My parents have been here for 3 weeks and it's been great but I do love living here in WA. We came for a better future for my 2 boys.
But I have just spoken to my sister on the phone and she said she couldn't leave the family to come and live here too. She has said this before but I was hoping she would decide to come after her holiday here in August this year. I don't that will happen. But it's just the comment about family being the most important thing and now in I'm feeling sick thinking about it. Have I done the right thing moving here. Are my kids going to have just the same problems to deal with here that they would have in the uk?
I'm just so confused now.
PS: My parents are going home tomorrow so that's probably not helping.

I agree and the most important thing for you is your family.

Your giving them a much better future and lifestyle. somthing the rest of your larger family cannot give you, money cannot buy it for most.

Do what your doing over time it will improve and oneday you will all reap the fruits of your labour.
Old May 22nd 2008, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have we made a mistake coming?

Originally Posted by markallwood
Think about it - even if you do stick it out for 4yrs, they will be 7 and 5 when you go back to the UK.
I think that this in itself is paramount. They are so young that if you do decided to return after four year the kids would so easily adapt and would not have missed out on as much family time as they would notice as they got older. If you get your citizenship then you will be setting your kids up with choices for life. If you return without it and then, as adults themselves, they then want to come and live here look at the hoops they would have to jump through to get here.

Should you return after four years you will be going back having had a wonderful experience to think back upon, you'll have given your kids an exposure to another way of life, and the children will stil be young enough to fit into daily life and family life in the uk. If you go back before then - what a waste!
Old May 26th 2008, 3:04 am
Just Joined

Paula in Perth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Been here 4 months now first doubts

Originally Posted by LisaT
My parents have been here for 3 weeks and it's been great but I do love living here in WA. We came for a better future for my 2 boys.
But I have just spoken to my sister on the phone and she said she couldn't leave the family to come and live here too. She has said this before but I was hoping she would decide to come after her holiday here in August this year. I don't that will happen. But it's just the comment about family being the most important thing and now in I'm feeling sick thinking about it. Have I done the right thing moving here. Are my kids going to have just the same problems to deal with here that they would have in the uk?
I'm just so confused now.
PS: My parents are going home tomorrow so that's probably not helping.
Hi Lisa
I've jsut read your post and totally sympathis with you as I often feel the same way as you. We have been over here for 6 months now and the past 3 months have been living in Mandurah - which I absolutely love. BUT I too really miss my family and friends and am finding it hard to make new friends over here which I suppose doesn't help either!! My parents are out visiting at the moment and I am absolutely dreading them going home - I'm in tears just at the thought of them leaving and hating myself for depriving them of their relationship with my 10 year old son especially as they are quite elderly (my dad is almost 80 and mum 77).

On a more positive note - I always knew it was going to be hard and when I feel really low about it, I think about ALL the reasons why I wanted to leave the UK or just go for a walk on the beach - that always makes me smile :-)

Think about the better life you are making for your children and of course you and just look forward to the fantastic holidays you will have when your family come out to visit you. I'm certain that it will get easier as time goes by so try and stay positive and enjoy your new life.....I know I am lol