Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What should you do on a recce

What should you do on a recce

Old May 25th 2008, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

Phil K is a jewel in the roughPhil K is a jewel in the roughPhil K is a jewel in the roughPhil K is a jewel in the rough
Question What should you do on a recce

Hi All
Has anyone got any tips for things we could/should do on our recce to Gold Coast assuming we like what we see and have instantly decided that we will be moving to Oz

Should we open a bank account or put our daughters name down for a school or register with anyone in advance of us leaving the UK.

Any help or ideas are well appreciated

Many Thanks
Phil K
Old May 25th 2008, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

linloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to all
Default Re: What should you do on a recce

When we did the recce it was to validate our Visa. And bear in mind we knew we would be moving 6 months later.

During in that time we got out TFN,S (Tax file numbers) Opened a bank account (ensuring we could bank online and got our drivers licence sorted. Got as much information on different areas, so when we went back to the UK we could look at them more closely, and see what facilities they had to offer, was there any crime problems, how well was the area doing, what proximity to the beach, vineyards etc.

We also visited furniture stores and such like to give us an idea on how much things were and was it worth buying them in the UK before hand. I also took home a local telephone book for things like employment agencies, Schools etc..again so we could investigate further when we got back.

We also contacted a few mortgage advisors to ask what kind of mortgage we could get and what we needed to get it, and finally took details of local real estate agents to understand what the housing and rental market were doing.
Hope this helps in some way
Old May 25th 2008, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phil K
Hi All
Has anyone got any tips for things we could/should do on our recce to Gold Coast assuming we like what we see and have instantly decided that we will be moving to Oz

Should we open a bank account or put our daughters name down for a school or register with anyone in advance of us leaving the UK.

Any help or ideas are well appreciated

Many Thanks
Phil K
Hi Phil,

We are ex-Hornchurch lot, just wanted to say hi, but to your question, when we came for reccie, we didn’t do any of the things that you asked for as we didn’t know where we wanted to settle, best thing you can do, find out where you are going to find job first, then go from there.
My OH works in South Brisbane, but we didn’t want to live over there, so he drives up there everyday it takes him from GC between 45 mins to one hour each way.
There are also so many schools here where you need to live in the catchments area.
My son & daughter go to Benowa State High School, its a very nice sought after school, we had to be in the catchments area.
Also depends what type school you want your daughter to go to, Private, religious or state.
We opened our bank account on line in UK, you can always PM us if you need more help.
Old May 25th 2008, 8:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Have fun and search areas. Forget everything else, not worth it.
Old May 25th 2008, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Hi

We have opened a bank account in advance of a move.

However, I was interested to hear that linloo organised an tax file and driving licence. I didn't think you could do this until you had a permanent address in Australia?

Charlie
Old May 25th 2008, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Phil K is a jewel in the roughPhil K is a jewel in the roughPhil K is a jewel in the roughPhil K is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by linloo
When we did the recce it was to validate our Visa. And bear in mind we knew we would be moving 6 months later.

During in that time we got out TFN,S (Tax file numbers) Opened a bank account (ensuring we could bank online and got our drivers licence sorted. Got as much information on different areas, so when we went back to the UK we could look at them more closely, and see what facilities they had to offer, was there any crime problems, how well was the area doing, what proximity to the beach, vineyards etc.

We also visited furniture stores and such like to give us an idea on how much things were and was it worth buying them in the UK before hand. I also took home a local telephone book for things like employment agencies, Schools etc..again so we could investigate further when we got back.

We also contacted a few mortgage advisors to ask what kind of mortgage we could get and what we needed to get it, and finally took details of local real estate agents to understand what the housing and rental market were doing.
Hope this helps in some way
Thanks for that Linloo you have been very helpfull and we be starting a list so we dont forget.

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
Hi Phil,

We are ex-Hornchurch lot, just wanted to say hi, but to your question, when we came for reccie, we didn’t do any of the things that you asked for as we didn’t know where we wanted to settle, best thing you can do, find out where you are going to find job first, then go from there.
My OH works in South Brisbane, but we didn’t want to live over there, so he drives up there everyday it takes him from GC between 45 mins to one hour each way.
There are also so many schools here where you need to live in the catchments area.
My son & daughter go to Benowa State High School, its a very nice sought after school, we had to be in the catchments area.
Also depends what type school you want your daughter to go to, Private, religious or state.
We opened our bank account on line in UK, you can always PM us if you need more help.
Hello Farideh, I hope you are doing ok and dont miss Hornchurch. Many thanks for your tips especially about the schools which is very important to us. I am going to try to keep in contact with expats when we are on our recce in August as we will take our laptop so it would be nice to keep in contact with you.

All the best
Phil

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Have fun and search areas. Forget everything else, not worth it.
Hi Moneypen, I hope we can have fun & get lots of information especially about areas on the Gold Coast.
Old May 25th 2008, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

linloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to all

Originally Posted by charlie5
Hi

We have opened a bank account in advance of a move.

However, I was interested to hear that linloo organised an tax file and driving licence. I didn't think you could do this until you had a permanent address in Australia?

Charlie
Hi Charlie,
We used a relatives address in Adelaide for those. The TFN was done on line in the tax office took about 5 mins. and the Drivers licence about 1/2 hour including having photos taken (We checked they didnt take our UK ones from us first, as they used too in the past) As soon as we got settled here then we changed the address. I know its not much good if you dont know anybody over here, but its a good tip if you do know someone with an address
Old May 25th 2008, 11:59 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
A piece of advice. If you have done your research and have identified a private school you want your kids to go to then get them on the waiting list on the rekkie, not after you arrive.

Here in Perth I am going through the process of hearing about year 7 entry in 2010 for my boy and 2011 for the girls. They went on the lists of 2 schools in 2004 and certainly one of those schools (St Marks) has said the girls stand no chance (unless the boy gets in) and the boy little chance (this will be 7 and 6 years on the list respectively by the time those years start) .
Old May 26th 2008, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
A piece of advice. If you have done your research and have identified a private school you want your kids to go to then get them on the waiting list on the rekkie, not after you arrive.

Here in Perth I am going through the process of hearing about year 7 entry in 2010 for my boy and 2011 for the girls. They went on the lists of 2 schools in 2004 and certainly one of those schools (St Marks) has said the girls stand no chance (unless the boy gets in) and the boy little chance (this will be 7 and 6 years on the list respectively by the time those years start) .
Its always good to have a catholic person in the family, we put our youngest into catholic school, & for that school for year 3 there is 2 years waiting list, but you get priority if you are catholic, to non catholic.
Old May 26th 2008, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Hello Farideh, I hope you are doing ok and dont miss Hornchurch. Many thanks for your tips especially about the schools which is very important to us. I am going to try to keep in contact with expats when we are on our recce in August as we will take our laptop so it would be nice to keep in contact with you.

All the best
Phil

Dont forget to bring your jumpers in August, it gets cold here.
Old May 26th 2008, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

mattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nice

It wouldn't be so cold girl if you went and did some ironing ( jokin)
Old May 26th 2008, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mattandjulia
It wouldn't be so cold girl if you went and did some ironing ( jokin)
haha I'm gettin good in that department, I finished all my ironing, nah nah,
how are you doing, I'm counting the days not long now another 180 days before I come back home to you guys.
Old May 26th 2008, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

mattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nice

Not bad honey. Can't wait to see you again. Matt has an interview tomorrow night so keep your fingers crossed. I got lots of ironing to do so will save it till you come back.

Julia.xx
Old May 26th 2008, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mattandjulia
Not bad honey. Can't wait to see you again. Matt has an interview tomorrow night so keep your fingers crossed. I got lots of ironing to do so will save it till you come back.

Julia.xx
Finger cross he'll get the job, I have made Ironing into a fine art, 5 loads of washing including 10 shirts in 2 1/2 hours it use to take me all day, I'm quite impress with myself.
Old May 26th 2008, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

You just got yourself a new job for when you get back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.