British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Hairdressing in aus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/hairdressing-aus-311551/)

charlie brown Aug 7th 2005 9:26 am

Re: Hairdressing in aus

Originally Posted by Steve2438
Hi..... yeah sorry should have made it clear...not all are the same...but good luck and take a sword with you.... ;)

don't worrie hairdressers are used to most of the stuff that has gone on and they ask why most hairdressers leave the trade after a while becouse thay get fed up with the s...t that is dished out. not the wages as some may think ,hairdresing is a form of art not just a money making game god luck with the app and the waiting :cool: cb

alkristensen Aug 7th 2005 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by charlie brown
don't worrie hairdressers are used to most of the stuff that has gone on and they ask why most hairdressers leave the trade after a while becouse thay get fed up with the s...t that is dished out. not the wages as some may think ,hairdresing is a form of art not just a money making game god luck with the app and the waiting :cool: cb

Here here. I am a barber now as i love having a laugh at work. Couldnt stand all the bitchy backstabbing in a hairdressers about each other and customers, so i decided on barbering as it was an easier business to run with less combacks, less stock to control, less women talking about thier boyfriends and menstrual cycles and rooting out my opinions on their marriage from a mans persective.

I want to have a laugh and talkabout footy(soccer in oz,hevs/megs) and have a good banter with my staff. We are all the best of friends and if there is a greivance it is said to face not behind people s backs.

I enjoy hairdressing now more than i have ever done, and i am well away from all the oneupmanship ( i am......considerably richer than yowww are) mentality.

As the last poster said, it is an art form that will be taken to the grave, allowing us to gain another start in a fantastic country. And if the wages are crap, then dont spend what you cant afford, simple. Enjoy Australia for what it is, a beautigful place. Work to live not the other way round.

alk

alkristensen Aug 7th 2005 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Beverley1
:confused: Hi my husband and i are thinking of emigrating to Australia (Perth) and i was wondering if anyone knows if NVQ level 2 in Hairdressing is recognised and would be valid for a General skills visa.

All this is so confusing it would be nice to hear from people who have managed to sort it out and also from people who are in the same boat as me.

We have tried some web sites but none of them seem to give you a straight answer.

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Beverley :o

Sorry bev1,

for hijacking your thread, so i will take time out, and ask if you have any shop time. You need experience in occupation, 3 out of four years for extra points and 12 out of last 18 months for extra points too(working more than 22hrs per week)If you have all this then definately apply.

Why perth and not brisbane,syd or mel?

Good luck what ever you decide with, and pm me if you need TRA info as i have a file 2 inches thick, and all is on hard drive should you need copies, ooeeer!
alk ;)

hevs Aug 7th 2005 1:14 pm

Blimey, Jans back :scared:

Alk, tried to karma you but i need to spread.

I work with hairdressers and their wages are shit, but hey! they're shit in the UK too :D

Bev 1 good luck and yes it was 3 out of 4 years when i applied:(

Alk, you decided which team to barrack for yet

alkristensen Aug 7th 2005 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by alkristensen
Here here. I am a barber now as i love having a laugh at work. Couldnt stand all the bitchy backstabbing in a hairdressers about each other and customers, so i decided on barbering as it was an easier business to run with less combacks, less stock to control, less women talking about thier boyfriends and menstrual cycles and rooting out my opinions on their marriage from a mans persective.

I want to have a laugh and talkabout footy(soccer in oz,hevs/megs) and have a good banter with my staff. We are all the best of friends and if there is a greivance it is said to face not behind people s backs.

I enjoy hairdressing now more than i have ever done, and i am well away from all the oneupmanship ( i am......considerably richer than yowww are) mentality.

As the last poster said, it is an art form that will be taken to the grave, allowing us to gain another start in a fantastic country. And if the wages are crap, then dont spend what you cant afford, simple. Enjoy Australia for what it is, a beautigful place. Work to live not the other way round.

alk

Oh and by the way......... im not supposed to tell you this but............Jan has got an .............

PMSL. :mad: Typical of hairdressers... was given a pm from curls telling me of someone elses misfortunes who couldnt wait to spread the goss!

I rest my case.

alk

Curls Aug 7th 2005 2:24 pm

I am a fully qualified unisex hairdresser and have been for 20 years.

I have my visa.

I have worked at top hairdressers in London and Manchester(Sassoons and Nicky Oliver), I own my own Barbers Shops, and this is my 3rd.

I dont need to work when i get there, as i have enough income from the uk.

Dont need rose tints as im under no illusions..... i will be happy with my UK income and the exchange rate, and mortgage free living.

All at 34. Not bad for a barber.

:zzz:

Third salon WOW!
Makes you wonder why you want to leave no need to work at 34 JACKONORY! for all those who remember.

Curls Aug 7th 2005 2:44 pm

Oh and by the way......... im not supposed to tell you this but............Jan has got an .............

PMSL. :mad: Typical of hairdressers... was given a pm from curls telling me of someone elses misfortunes who couldnt wait to spread the goss!

I rest my case.

alk

Yes why dont you finish the sentence .
I will finish it for you sad bstd . Jan has a critical illness .
I sent a pm.to alk asking him to lay off the insults in the circumstances and to be understanding.
I was NOT spreading gossip or getting any gratification in telling you of Jans situation.That is why i sent you a P.M.which i thought meant private message.i.e not for posting .I have received mail from Jan telling me that she has never sent a P.M. to you and i believe her i think you are a big girls blouse
and looking at you comments quite a gossip yourself .
Hopefully you will give it a rest and give you bottom a chance :confused: .Typical of HAIRDRESSERS you mentioned earlier well you blonde viking you know what they say about male hairdressers. :scared:
I think they sell vas in OZ. ALK. :D

68MEVY Aug 7th 2005 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by daisymoo
Hi Marie, glad you passed no probs but could you give me a bit of info as i'm worried about tra more than anything, my employer has pretty much said write was is needed and she will sign it. I have nvq 2 but only for 3 years but worked for employer for 4years.
thanks, carol

Hi Daisymoo, was going to post earlier but didn't want to get caught up in that 'debate'
For TRA you need to of worked for 12 out of the last 18 months. For a further 10 points (I think) you had to of worked in a salon for 3 out of the last 4 years. So in my opinion it looks like you've got enough experience behind you to get the TRA passed.
When I applied to DIMIA, they also ask for 3 out of the last 4 years, but things have changed recently for hairdressers and it might be less than that now.
Good luck and if there's anything else you want to know, give us a shout and I'll see if I can help you out.
Marie

alkristensen Aug 7th 2005 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Curls
Yes why dont you finish the sentence .
I will finish it for you sad bstd . Jan has a critical illness .
I sent a pm.to alk asking him to lay off the insults in the circumstances and to be understanding.
I was NOT spreading gossip or getting any gratification in telling you of Jans situation.That is why i sent you a P.M.which i thought meant private message.i.e not for posting .I have received mail from Jan telling me that she has never sent a P.M. to you and i believe her i think you are a big girls blouse
and looking at you comments quite a gossip yourself .
Hopefully you will give it a rest and give you bottom a chance :confused: .Typical of HAIRDRESSERS you mentioned earlier well you blonde viking you know what they say about male hairdressers. :scared:
I think they sell vas in OZ. ALK. :D

She is hardly a shrinking violet with comments like that.

If she was ill then best spend time with he family rather than trading insults on a website. Remember she started it first whilst attacking and biting someones head off in an earlier post. I came in to it as she was insulting.

i didnt finish the sentence as i didnt want to spill the beans! I was merely commenting how bitchy hairdressers are in general. You have messages saved in your inbox, you muppet. That is where i copied the one over from.

are you jan and curls, you trolls.

Only time will tell. When one stops posting we know what has happened.......

alkristensen Aug 7th 2005 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Curls
Third salon WOW!
Makes you wonder why you want to leave no need to work at 34 JACKONORY! for all those who remember.

believe what you want. If you read you will find that i want to leave as i have my visa, and have an income from the uk, as well as a trade or 2 just in case.

Id give you my website address but i dont want tossers like you on our blog.

alk

bruce67 Aug 7th 2005 7:41 pm

My daughter has an NVQ3 in hairdressing which she did with "Graham Webb" but left hairdressing a year after qualifying saying "there is to much bitchiness". Didn't get what she was on about until now :confused:

bruce.

lightr0d2o Aug 7th 2005 9:25 pm

I left school in 1979 and traind as a plumber. spent the next 26 years working on a building site in and around London, some people say "gees that must be a hard life, 26 years on a building site". I can now say its a breeze. my wife is a hairdresser. I think I gonna buy her a flack jacket for her birthday...... :scared:
but truly I wish the best for you all.
make love not war.

Cockney Rob.............................

daisymoo Aug 8th 2005 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Hi Daisymoo, was going to post earlier but didn't want to get caught up in that 'debate'
For TRA you need to of worked for 12 out of the last 18 months. For a further 10 points (I think) you had to of worked in a salon for 3 out of the last 4 years. So in my opinion it looks like you've got enough experience behind you to get the TRA passed.
When I applied to DIMIA, they also ask for 3 out of the last 4 years, but things have changed recently for hairdressers and it might be less than that now.
Good luck and if there's anything else you want to know, give us a shout and I'll see if I can help you out.
Marie

Hi Marie thanks for replying,

WOW what was all that about, i thought my kids could argue but perhaps they do love each other after all. Anyway thanks for info, will start collating info for TRA, i know you have to give in depth detail about every aspect of work but what will DIMIA ask for, will they ask for more detailed info. I know i have to start but i'm dreading it.. Our friends are halfway there going MSRS so they bypass the TRA, he is a plumber aged 47/48 with a job offer in a regional area of perth and they've been told they will probably be there by xmas, i think their forms are just about to go off now. I wish we could do it that way but i dont think you can go state sponsored as a hairdresser, (unless anyone out there knows any different) i wonder why more people dont go the same way as it's much quicker with less paperwork, no migration agent necessary and it's permanent residency from day one.
Anyway thanks again Marie and any info you have is much appreciated.

Carol

daisymoo Aug 8th 2005 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by lacey21
TRA are looking for 3 years if you have worked for someone and 6-7 years if it is your own busines to get a positive assessment. I know this all too well as I have been working towards getting Australia since Noah put the first nail in his arc. lol.

Go the TRA website all will be reveled. If not the sign like the rest of us cos they keep on changing the rules.
cheers
Lace

Hi Lace
can you tell me why you sent off a vetassess application when i thought it was only tra, oh i'm soooo confused
carol

alkristensen Aug 8th 2005 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by daisymoo
Hi Marie thanks for replying,

WOW what was all that about, i thought my kids could argue but perhaps they do love each other after all. Anyway thanks for info, will start collating info for TRA, i know you have to give in depth detail about every aspect of work but what will DIMIA ask for, will they ask for more detailed info. I know i have to start but i'm dreading it.. Our friends are halfway there going MSRS so they bypass the TRA, he is a plumber aged 47/48 with a job offer in a regional area of perth and they've been told they will probably be there by xmas, i think their forms are just about to go off now. I wish we could do it that way but i dont think you can go state sponsored as a hairdresser, (unless anyone out there knows any different) i wonder why more people dont go the same way as it's much quicker with less paperwork, no migration agent necessary and it's permanent residency from day one.
Anyway thanks again Marie and any info you have is much appreciated.

Carol

Sorry, back on topic......

I have just been trawling ebay for an australian rough guide or lonely planet and found this!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=5605148631

Maybe of use to someone

alk