British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Hairdressing in aus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/hairdressing-aus-311551/)

Beverley1 Jul 1st 2005 2:32 pm

Hairdressing in aus

:confused: Hi my husband and i are thinking of emigrating to Australia (Perth) and i was wondering if anyone knows if NVQ level 2 in Hairdressing is recognised and would be valid for a General skills visa.

All this is so confusing it would be nice to hear from people who have managed to sort it out and also from people who are in the same boat as me.

We have tried some web sites but none of them seem to give you a straight answer.

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Beverley :o

Dawn Jul 1st 2005 2:56 pm

Re: Hairdressing in aus

Hi Beverley,

Yes NVQ2 is fine, however, you do have to prove you have worked in the industry for a certain length of time...if you type in Hairdressing in the search box you can subscribe to that thread and you will be emailed each time theres a post. Lots of good advice on there and all just for us Hairdressers, so im sure you will get all the info you need. I have my NVQ2, and been told there screaming out for us, which is nice, however not worked in a salon for sometime, my husband is a Mechanic so have applied under his proffesion. Just waiting for meds to be requested!!!

Good luck.
Dawn x :)

Dawn Jul 1st 2005 2:59 pm

P.S. We also hoping to move to Perth......If all goes well we be off next June......Keep this website in your favourites, after many months of looking this site is just the best.....x Feel free to pm me if need to

68MEVY Jul 1st 2005 6:21 pm

Hi, I'm a hairdresser on the last lap- just awaiting the arrival of the visa!
I've got an NVQ2 in Hairdressing and passed TRA with no probs.
Marie

Beverley1 Jul 2nd 2005 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Marie

Thanks for your replies as i have only just passed my NVQ2 i think i will have a long wait. Does anyone know how long you have to actually work at that level before they accept you?

We have tried going in on my husbands qualifications to but as he is in IT the demand is not so high, so we don't get enough points. I was wondering if you would know if it is possible to go out with my family on a temp working visa, and work full time for the amoutn of time required to be accepted permanently as a Hairdresser, but then a suppose that would be to easy. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for all your replies :)

Beverley ;)

daisymoo Aug 6th 2005 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Marie

Hi Marie, glad you passed no probs but could you give me a bit of info as i'm worried about tra more than anything, my employer has pretty much said write was is needed and she will sign it. I have nvq 2 but only for 3 years but worked for employer for 4years.
thanks, carol

rossifumi Aug 6th 2005 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Beverley1
Thanks for your replies as i have only just passed my NVQ2 i think i will have a long wait. Does anyone know how long you have to actually work at that level before they accept you?

We have tried going in on my husbands qualifications to but as he is in IT the demand is not so high, so we don't get enough points. I was wondering if you would know if it is possible to go out with my family on a temp working visa, and work full time for the amoutn of time required to be accepted permanently as a Hairdresser, but then a suppose that would be to easy. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for all your replies :)

Beverley ;)

I believe it's 6 years experience that the TRA are looking for.

Rich & Lynn

peppi Aug 6th 2005 8:12 pm

I think but pleased dont quote me..that the time scale involved as they are so desparate is 4 years now...and this can include full time training...you will need to dig further I have been keeping an eye for a friend on the proceedures,but I am almost certain they changed the rules for hairdressers earlier this year........

best of luck

first port of call is really the TRA...send them a mail...I have a few times they reply pretty quick...

lacey21 Aug 6th 2005 10:13 pm

TRA are looking for 3 years if you have worked for someone and 6-7 years if it is your own busines to get a positive assessment. I know this all too well as I have been working towards getting Australia since Noah put the first nail in his arc. lol.

Go the TRA website all will be reveled. If not the sign like the rest of us cos they keep on changing the rules.
cheers
Lace

jan Aug 6th 2005 10:30 pm

:confused: Hi my husband and i are thinking of emigrating to Australia (Perth) and i was wondering if anyone knows if NVQ level 2 in Hairdressing is recognised and would be valid for a General skills visa.

All this is so confusing it would be nice to hear from people who have managed to sort it out and also from people who are in the same boat as me.

We have tried some web sites but none of them seem to give you a straight answer.

Hi afore ye go check out the average salary its crap same old crap wages for hairdressers thats why they are in demand because at $500.00 dollars a week with no tips no aussie would give you a xxxx for it.I dont want to put a downer on it for all you wanabee hairdressers but having lived here for sometime now i will be honest and tell you how it is. :beer:

nik04 Aug 6th 2005 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by jan
Hi afore ye go check out the average salary its crap same old crap wages for hairdressers thats why they are in demand because at $500.00 dollars a week with no tips no aussie would give you a xxxx for it.I dont want to put a downer on it for all you wanabee hairdressers but having lived here for sometime now i will be honest and tell you how it is. :beer:

I have a friend on the gold coast that does mobile and home hairdressing she make a good living from it

jan Aug 6th 2005 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by nik04
I have a friend on the gold coast that does mobile and home hairdressing she make a good living from it

So ! Whats that got to do with my post in case you did not know i am on the other side of the country.Thats like me saying i earn ex in London and someone piping in.....my friend earns loads in spain! Out of interest though could you share with us how much she earns?

nik04 Aug 6th 2005 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by jan
So ! Whats that got to do with my post in case you did not know i am on the other side of the country.Thats like me saying i earn ex in London and someone piping in.....my friend earns loads in spain! Out of interest though could you share with us how much she earns?

Just saying maybe you can earn more working for yourself instead of in a salon, just throwin in a few thoughts SOZ .$800 for a bad week. BTW u got any sticky tape to stick my head back on after bitin it orf :)

alkristensen Aug 6th 2005 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by jan

Most people are using hairdressing to get into australia. Is perth that different to brissie in wages? I suppose it depends on whether you want to work in A SALON, or work for yourself or open a salon. Posting your original comment may stop people maybe wanting to come, and although it may be realistic in your situation, others have the talent, business acumen and different ways to make money no matter which side of the country they are. Dont bother posting if you are bitter, as we can all make our own minds up when we get there and rash generalisations such as yours may put some people off wanting to be there.
alk

jan Aug 6th 2005 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by alkristensen
Most people are using hairdressing to get into australia. Is perth that different to brissie in wages? I suppose it depends on whether you want to work in A SALON, or work for yourself or open a salon. Posting your original comment may stop people maybe wanting to come, and although it may be realistic in your situation, others have the talent, business acumen and different ways to make money no matter which side of the country they are. Dont bother posting if you are bitter, as we can all make our own minds up when we get there and rash generalisations such as yours may put some people off wanting to be there.
alk

Wages are different depending on many factors but the median salary is poor for hairdressing.
I am sure my post wont stop people wishing to emigrate if so perhaps they should not go if they go by the opinion of someone who has made the move
and my friend its NOT my situation that IS the going rate for a hairdresser working for someone else.As for your comments as to others have the talent,business acumen,and different ways of making money.WHO THE FXXX ARE YOU TO JUDGE ME! I am far from bitter i live in a $800.000 home in hillarys no mortgage i own four properties back in the U.k. and a home in Northern France. I am very happy with my lot thank you i dont need an arogant little upstart like you telling me what i should and should not post if people dont like what they read fine thats thier perogative . :)

alkristensen Aug 7th 2005 12:13 am

Originally Posted by jan
Wages are different depending on many factors but the median salary is poor for hairdressing.
I am sure my post wont stop people wishing to emigrate if so perhaps they should not go if they go by the opinion of someone who has made the move
and my friend its NOT my situation that IS the going rate for a hairdresser working for someone else.As for your comments as to others have the talent,business acumen,and different ways of making money.WHO THE FXXX ARE YOU TO JUDGE ME! I am far from bitter i live in a $800.000 home in hillarys no mortgage i own four properties back in the U.k. and a home in Northern France. I am very happy with my lot thank you i dont need an arogant little upstart like you telling me what i should and should not post if people dont like what they read fine thats thier perogative . :)

And you are obviously a hairdresser. Meeoooowwww!

Curls Aug 7th 2005 12:23 am

Originally Posted by jan

oh dont get to upset jan.You are quite right though each has their own view,good or bad maybe AK. still has his rosy specs on and does'nt want any negative info from someone like you who has made the move already and wishes to help people.but if you look at his profile he is only a barber and they are two bob up here and down under so dont let him bother you love we need people like you to tell us what its all about so keep on posting. ;)

alkristensen Aug 7th 2005 12:24 am

And you are obviously a hairdresser. Meeoooowwww!

I dont care what you have. You are in Australia now, and obviously have so much time on your hands to be on this site that you must own a chain of salons. And as you have said how much you are worth, why not spread the wealth instead of paying such sh*te wges out and reeping the rewards so you can live in luxury you scrooge.

All my staff are self emloyed, and rent a chair. They are given the right to let their business flourish and create wages for themselves, not given crap pay while i get fatter and buy up half of europe.

I earn less than my staff as i like a better quality of life (2 days a week). I dont need luxry cars and houses as im not that bothered as im healthy and happy and we are dead a long time.

The only people that will benefit from you working your ass off will be your kids when you croak it.

alk

alkristensen Aug 7th 2005 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Curls
oh dont get to upset jan.You are quite right though each has their own view,good or bad maybe AK. still has his rosy specs on and does'nt want any negative info from someone like you who has made the move already and wishes to help people.but if you look at his profile he is only a barber and they are two bob up here and down under so dont let him bother you love we need people like you to tell us what its all about so keep on posting. ;)

I am a fully qualified unisex hairdresser and have been for 20 years.

I have my visa.

I have worked at top hairdressers in London and Manchester(Sassoons and Nicky Oliver), I own my own Barbers Shops, and this is my 3rd.

I dont need to work when i get there, as i have enough income from the uk.

Dont need rose tints as im under no illusions..... i will be happy with my UK income and the exchange rate, and mortgage free living.

All at 34. Not bad for a barber.

:zzz:

Curls Aug 7th 2005 12:39 am

[QUOTE=alkristensen]I dont care what you have. You are in Australia now, and obviously have so much time on your hands to be on this site that you must own a chain of salons. And as you have said how much you are worth, why not spread the wealth instead of paying such sh*te wges out and reeping the rewards so you can live in luxury you scrooge.

All my staff are self emloyed, and rent a chair. They are given the right to let their business flourish and create wages for themselves, not given crap pay while i get fatter buy & up half of europe.

I earn less than my staff as i like a better quality of life (2 days a week). I dont need luxry cars and houses as im not that bothered as im healthy and happy and you are dead a long time.

The only people that will benefit from you working your ass off will be your kids when you croak it.
alk
What a nasty vicious post i think you have upset Jan enough you are being very personal about someone you know nothing about horrible and small minded maybe you should retract you childish comments.and keep any vindictive thoughts to yourself.

alkristensen Aug 7th 2005 12:44 am

[QUOTE=Curls]

I dont care what you have. You are in Australia now, and obviously have so much time on your hands to be on this site that you must own a chain of salons. And as you have said how much you are worth, why not spread the wealth instead of paying such sh*te wges out and reeping the rewards so you can live in luxury you scrooge.

All my staff are self emloyed, and rent a chair. They are given the right to let their business flourish and create wages for themselves, not given crap pay while i get fatter buy & up half of europe.

I earn less than my staff as i like a better quality of life (2 days a week). I dont need luxry cars and houses as im not that bothered as im healthy and happy and you are dead a long time.

alk
What a nasty vicious post i think you have upset Jan enough you are being very personal about someone you know nothing about horrible and small minded maybe you should retract you childish comments.and keep any vindictive thoughts to yourself.

do you want me to post on this forum the absolutely disgusting private message that Jan sent me which inscenced me so much as to reply in such a venomous manner?

Curls Aug 7th 2005 12:46 am

I have my visa.

I have worked at top hairdressers in London and Manchester(Sassoons and Nicky Oliver), I own my own Barbers Shops, and this is my 3rd.

Dont need rose tints as im under no illusions..... i will be happy with my UK income and the exchange rate, and mortgage free living.

Well bully for you .A bit of hypocrisy here i think :rolleyes: .The way you are conducting yourself Tut! Tut! you will give us hairdressers a bad name they will think we are all as stupid as you! :D

alkristensen Aug 7th 2005 12:47 am

ok i will. Mods please note this is not me writing this.

Originally Posted by jan
I just read your profile fxxxxg upstart Barber i have forggotten more than you know pal i had two salons in U.K. employed over thirty people in London i have worked in the USA fashion shoots, portfolios,promo work for revlon.you fuxxin BARBER! DONT TAKE THE PISS! AND DONT MAIL ME . or POST Tosser. HA! HA! HA!

Curls Aug 7th 2005 12:51 am

[QUOTE=alkristensen]

ok i will. Mods please note this is not me writing this.

Originally Posted by jan
I just read your profile fxxxxg upstart Barber i have forggotten more than you know pal i had two salons in U.K. employed over thirty people in London i have worked in the USA fashion shoots, portfolios,promo work for revlon.you fuxxin BARBER! DONT TAKE THE PISS! AND DONT MAIL ME . or POST Tosser. HA! HA! HA!

This chap clearly has problems :o Will the last person to leave please turn the lights off! Goodnight :zzz:

Curls Aug 7th 2005 12:52 am

[QUOTE=alkristensen]

ok i will. Mods please note this is not me writing this.me thinks Jan is a man.

Originally Posted by jan

alkristensen Aug 7th 2005 12:54 am

touche, the irony of it all about hypocricy

rossifumi Aug 7th 2005 6:58 am

Originally Posted by jan

That's enough about you lets talk about ME. Trumpet, Horn, Blow! :zzz: :zzz:
Good luck Beverly1, I hope you succeed in your your emmigration.
Don't be put off by some of the posts you see on here some people just enjoy popping in and stirring up a hornets nest and then dissapearing again, obviously nothing better to do and nothing valuable to contribute which is what this site is all about. You'll notice one person has done just this which is disgusting action, this kind of posting is for the 'Take it Outside' forum FFS!

Steve2438 Aug 7th 2005 7:27 am

What a fantastic thread...better than east-enders or corrie, my wife's a hairdresser or should I say, (venomous, vindictive, self opinionated, back stabbing, vain, catty, bitchy ) person who cuts hair…
I never knew she had so much fun going to work…I did wonder what that target was on her back for…now it’s clear
:scared: :p

charlie brown Aug 7th 2005 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Steve2438
What a fantastic thread...better than east-enders or corrie, my wife's a hairdresser or should I say, (venomous, vindictive, self opinionated, back stabbing, vain, catty, bitchy ) person who cuts hair…
I never knew she had so much fun going to work…I did wonder what that target was on her back for…now it’s clear
:scared: :p

i am also a hairdresser but got fedup with all the fun as you put it. i miss doing the job but not other side of it. it's not all of them but a good amount wish me luck as just about to enter back in to the lions den :scared:

Steve2438 Aug 7th 2005 7:58 am

Originally Posted by charlie brown
i am also a hairdresser but got fedup with all the fun as you put it. i miss doing the job but not other side of it. it's not all of them but a good amount wish me luck as just about to enter back in to the lions den :scared:

Hi..... yeah sorry should have made it clear...not all are the same...but good luck and take a sword with you.... ;)

charlie brown Aug 7th 2005 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Steve2438
Hi..... yeah sorry should have made it clear...not all are the same...but good luck and take a sword with you.... ;)

don't worrie hairdressers are used to most of the stuff that has gone on and they ask why most hairdressers leave the trade after a while becouse thay get fed up with the s...t that is dished out. not the wages as some may think ,hairdresing is a form of art not just a money making game god luck with the app and the waiting :cool: cb

alkristensen Aug 7th 2005 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by charlie brown
don't worrie hairdressers are used to most of the stuff that has gone on and they ask why most hairdressers leave the trade after a while becouse thay get fed up with the s...t that is dished out. not the wages as some may think ,hairdresing is a form of art not just a money making game god luck with the app and the waiting :cool: cb

Here here. I am a barber now as i love having a laugh at work. Couldnt stand all the bitchy backstabbing in a hairdressers about each other and customers, so i decided on barbering as it was an easier business to run with less combacks, less stock to control, less women talking about thier boyfriends and menstrual cycles and rooting out my opinions on their marriage from a mans persective.

I want to have a laugh and talkabout footy(soccer in oz,hevs/megs) and have a good banter with my staff. We are all the best of friends and if there is a greivance it is said to face not behind people s backs.

I enjoy hairdressing now more than i have ever done, and i am well away from all the oneupmanship ( i am......considerably richer than yowww are) mentality.

As the last poster said, it is an art form that will be taken to the grave, allowing us to gain another start in a fantastic country. And if the wages are crap, then dont spend what you cant afford, simple. Enjoy Australia for what it is, a beautigful place. Work to live not the other way round.

alk

alkristensen Aug 7th 2005 1:06 pm

Sorry bev1,

for hijacking your thread, so i will take time out, and ask if you have any shop time. You need experience in occupation, 3 out of four years for extra points and 12 out of last 18 months for extra points too(working more than 22hrs per week)If you have all this then definately apply.

Why perth and not brisbane,syd or mel?

Good luck what ever you decide with, and pm me if you need TRA info as i have a file 2 inches thick, and all is on hard drive should you need copies, ooeeer!
alk ;)

hevs Aug 7th 2005 1:14 pm

Blimey, Jans back :scared:

Alk, tried to karma you but i need to spread.

I work with hairdressers and their wages are shit, but hey! they're shit in the UK too :D

Bev 1 good luck and yes it was 3 out of 4 years when i applied:(

Alk, you decided which team to barrack for yet

alkristensen Aug 7th 2005 1:24 pm

Here here. I am a barber now as i love having a laugh at work. Couldnt stand all the bitchy backstabbing in a hairdressers about each other and customers, so i decided on barbering as it was an easier business to run with less combacks, less stock to control, less women talking about thier boyfriends and menstrual cycles and rooting out my opinions on their marriage from a mans persective.

I want to have a laugh and talkabout footy(soccer in oz,hevs/megs) and have a good banter with my staff. We are all the best of friends and if there is a greivance it is said to face not behind people s backs.

I enjoy hairdressing now more than i have ever done, and i am well away from all the oneupmanship ( i am......considerably richer than yowww are) mentality.

As the last poster said, it is an art form that will be taken to the grave, allowing us to gain another start in a fantastic country. And if the wages are crap, then dont spend what you cant afford, simple. Enjoy Australia for what it is, a beautigful place. Work to live not the other way round.

alk

Oh and by the way......... im not supposed to tell you this but............Jan has got an .............

PMSL. :mad: Typical of hairdressers... was given a pm from curls telling me of someone elses misfortunes who couldnt wait to spread the goss!

I rest my case.

alk

Curls Aug 7th 2005 2:24 pm

I have my visa.

Third salon WOW!
Makes you wonder why you want to leave no need to work at 34 JACKONORY! for all those who remember.

Curls Aug 7th 2005 2:44 pm

Oh and by the way......... im not supposed to tell you this but............Jan has got an .............

PMSL. :mad: Typical of hairdressers... was given a pm from curls telling me of someone elses misfortunes who couldnt wait to spread the goss!

I rest my case.

alk

Yes why dont you finish the sentence .
I will finish it for you sad bstd . Jan has a critical illness .
I sent a pm.to alk asking him to lay off the insults in the circumstances and to be understanding.
I was NOT spreading gossip or getting any gratification in telling you of Jans situation.That is why i sent you a P.M.which i thought meant private message.i.e not for posting .I have received mail from Jan telling me that she has never sent a P.M. to you and i believe her i think you are a big girls blouse
and looking at you comments quite a gossip yourself .
Hopefully you will give it a rest and give you bottom a chance :confused: .Typical of HAIRDRESSERS you mentioned earlier well you blonde viking you know what they say about male hairdressers. :scared:
I think they sell vas in OZ. ALK. :D

68MEVY Aug 7th 2005 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by daisymoo
Hi Marie, glad you passed no probs but could you give me a bit of info as i'm worried about tra more than anything, my employer has pretty much said write was is needed and she will sign it. I have nvq 2 but only for 3 years but worked for employer for 4years.
thanks, carol

Hi Daisymoo, was going to post earlier but didn't want to get caught up in that 'debate'
For TRA you need to of worked for 12 out of the last 18 months. For a further 10 points (I think) you had to of worked in a salon for 3 out of the last 4 years. So in my opinion it looks like you've got enough experience behind you to get the TRA passed.
When I applied to DIMIA, they also ask for 3 out of the last 4 years, but things have changed recently for hairdressers and it might be less than that now.
Good luck and if there's anything else you want to know, give us a shout and I'll see if I can help you out.
Marie

alkristensen Aug 7th 2005 4:57 pm

Yes why dont you finish the sentence .
I will finish it for you sad bstd . Jan has a critical illness .
I sent a pm.to alk asking him to lay off the insults in the circumstances and to be understanding.
I was NOT spreading gossip or getting any gratification in telling you of Jans situation.That is why i sent you a P.M.which i thought meant private message.i.e not for posting .I have received mail from Jan telling me that she has never sent a P.M. to you and i believe her i think you are a big girls blouse
and looking at you comments quite a gossip yourself .
Hopefully you will give it a rest and give you bottom a chance :confused: .Typical of HAIRDRESSERS you mentioned earlier well you blonde viking you know what they say about male hairdressers. :scared:
I think they sell vas in OZ. ALK. :D

She is hardly a shrinking violet with comments like that.

If she was ill then best spend time with he family rather than trading insults on a website. Remember she started it first whilst attacking and biting someones head off in an earlier post. I came in to it as she was insulting.

i didnt finish the sentence as i didnt want to spill the beans! I was merely commenting how bitchy hairdressers are in general. You have messages saved in your inbox, you muppet. That is where i copied the one over from.

are you jan and curls, you trolls.

Only time will tell. When one stops posting we know what has happened.......

alkristensen Aug 7th 2005 5:22 pm

Third salon WOW!
Makes you wonder why you want to leave no need to work at 34 JACKONORY! for all those who remember.

believe what you want. If you read you will find that i want to leave as i have my visa, and have an income from the uk, as well as a trade or 2 just in case.

Id give you my website address but i dont want tossers like you on our blog.

alk