Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good Removal Companies?

Good Removal Companies?

Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:29 am
Banned

MrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to all
Default Re: Good Removal Companies?

John Mason team in tomorrow. I have spent the weekend cleaning bikes, golf clubs, shoes, power tools and anything else that has been exposed to the British elements . Will update you on how it goes and how John mason faired.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Stand by for action and make sure they don't pack things too early. They move pretty quick and we had to make sue they kept a few essentials for the second day (eg bed, TV, kettle).

They will pack anything unless you stop them. We brought over old newspapers, dirty rags etc.

They did a pretty good job though - we only had one small glass broken.

Charlie
Old Sep 20th 2010, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlie5
Stand by for action and make sure they don't pack things too early. They move pretty quick and we had to make sue they kept a few essentials for the second day (eg bed, TV, kettle).

They will pack anything unless you stop them. We brought over old newspapers, dirty rags etc.

They did a pretty good job though - we only had one small glass broken.

Charlie
Correct! Make sure you have a room with all your important stuff in and close/lock it or tell them not to touch it.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 6:54 pm
Banned

MrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to all

Well John Mason came, packed and loaded. They also did a damn fine job. Cant fault anything as they turned up on time (2 of them) and got stuck in. Pleasant enough and happy to add a few more things that we forgot to tell them about. 20 ft container was full to the brim and we had a panic moment towards the end thinking not everything would fit, but the last thing that went in was a double mattress that they had to hold upright whilst they closed the doors.

So my overall assessment of John Mason in the UK . Best price and couldn't fault the service. Lets hope it continues when our stuff arrives in Sydney.
Attached Thumbnails Good Removal Companies?-dsc03691.jpg  

Last edited by MrJenkins; Sep 22nd 2010 at 6:56 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Hi

Do you know who your Australian sub-contractors are ging to be? We were given Wainwrights.

Charlie
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Dimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really nice

Good point about the Australian sub-contractors. We were given Chess who did the following:
1. Would not put books on shelves but dumped most of them on the floor...their bosses & UK shipper (Coles) would not believe us until we produced photographs. Keep your camera handy to document any irregularities or breakages.

2. Intimidated us by saying unpacking would be very difficult as we would not know where to put things so they had better just leave most things in boxes (ie they are keen to avoid unpacking).

Tip- get it clear from the beginning what the un-packers will do and not do and how many trips to the address you are entitled to as we got slugged for their second trip to unpack more stuff they had left before. You need to be strong with these guys. They may not all be like this -just depends on the local crew you get but be careful.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

kizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud of

We used Robinsons who were excellent, couldn't do enough for us in the UK or over here. Avoid Berk Bros, moving is stressful enough without these idiots. Beware scammers asking for money upfront before the 'autumn prices come in' like we had, I did a thread regarding that.

Mold/Mildew, things like fridges/washers get mold, they are in an unventilated container for about 6-8 wks. We washed our fridge with mild bleach solution and put unused tea bags and silicon sachets in the bottom and it was better, but still had mold, also try and put a peg in the door so it is partially open. Dishwasher had several hot washes and washing machine had a bleach wash, obviously run a wash through again before you use it.

We had no trouble with feather duvets or pillows and listed them as bedding so we weren't hiding anything. Were also told that the feathers were regarding feathers of endangered birds and didn't related to chickens/ducks/geese, so it seems its open to interpretation.

Hope it all goes well for you
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 3:38 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dimond
Good point about the Australian sub-contractors. We were given Chess who did the following:
1. Would not put books on shelves but dumped most of them on the floor...their bosses & UK shipper (Coles) would not believe us until we produced photographs. Keep your camera handy to document any irregularities or breakages.

2. Intimidated us by saying unpacking would be very difficult as we would not know where to put things so they had better just leave most things in boxes (ie they are keen to avoid unpacking).

Tip- get it clear from the beginning what the un-packers will do and not do and how many trips to the address you are entitled to as we got slugged for their second trip to unpack more stuff they had left before. You need to be strong with these guys. They may not all be like this -just depends on the local crew you get but be careful.
It looks like a "must do" is to print off every email commitment that the shipping agent makes in case it's necessary to point them out to the Australian sub-contractors.

Originally Posted by kizbut1
We used Robinsons who were excellent, couldn't do enough for us in the UK or over here. Avoid Berk Bros, moving is stressful enough without these idiots. Beware scammers asking for money upfront before the 'autumn prices come in' like we had, I did a thread regarding that.

Mold/Mildew, things like fridges/washers get mold, they are in an unventilated container for about 6-8 wks. We washed our fridge with mild bleach solution and put unused tea bags and silicon sachets in the bottom and it was better, but still had mold, also try and put a peg in the door so it is partially open. Dishwasher had several hot washes and washing machine had a bleach wash, obviously run a wash through again before you use it.

We had no trouble with feather duvets or pillows and listed them as bedding so we weren't hiding anything. Were also told that the feathers were regarding feathers of endangered birds and didn't related to chickens/ducks/geese, so it seems its open to interpretation.

Hope it all goes well for you
Excellent tips! Thank you
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi

The Wainwright guys didn't want to unpack either.

Wainwrights also tried to charge me for a delay in delivery due to port congestion!

Charlie
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 7:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
I used Anglo Pacific. I have heard good reports and bad. My experience was all good.
You were lucky there....the words ten foot and barge pole come to mind when I see their name..

Originally Posted by moores2525
Let me add my experiences on Anglo Pacific from today...

I'm moving to Sydney in December and booked with Anglo Pacific - they have been awful.

Took a deposit from me then didn't confirm recipt of it in writing and when delivering boxes to me this morning I got a generic text message saying, and I quote "...boxes have been dropped outside your address". I live in a block of flats on a busy street in North London. Sure enough, I went straight downstairs to the main door and no boxes. Didn't ring the bell, didn't call me, just a text and then no boxes. i called him, no answer. Then I text him asking why he didn't ring the bell or call - no reply.

Put in a complaint by email first thing this morning to their Customer Services and to the guy I spoke to when booking - have heard nothing back. Have asked my bank to refund me the deposit and will leave them to sort these idiots out.

A bunch of cowboys - AVOID!
If you hear anything from them you'll be lucky A few years back several of us complained so much about them on here that one of their executives joined BE and promised to personally address all the complaints........he's obviously forgotten his password as we are still waiting.......
Old Sep 27th 2010, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

GetmetoOz has a spectacular aura aboutGetmetoOz has a spectacular aura aboutGetmetoOz has a spectacular aura about

Hi, I am currently getting the shippers in to quote...

The first one went on and on about having to pay duty on anything less than one year old...

We were going to buy new wardrobes/drawers as ours are all fitted - anyone else been told about declaring new stuff??

Thanks
Old Sep 27th 2010, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Dimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Good Removal Companies?

This might be the theory but in practice as long as it is not excessive (ie a dozen wardrobes)and has the new labels removed all will be OK.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Don't worry about this. They may also tell you that you cannot take your fridge/freezer - just ignor them.

Charlie
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 10:57 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Was chatting with a long time friend this evening who over the years has shipped their belongings to several destinations around the world and back again. She said that something that we have to watch out for is that the shipping people pack tightly filling up every available space in boxes and the container. She said that at least on two occasions in the past they packed loosely and uneconomically such that they needed to pay extra for a 40 footer/additional container space. She said that we also have to watch out that sets of things / parts of dismantled furniture go in together and to have a "must go" grouping of possessions and "a can go if there's space" grouping. She said that a trick appears to be to separate dismantled sets /parts of furniture and then be told that the last bits won't fit in leaving no real option but to pay for extra space.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 12:13 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dimond

Un less you pay extra for "Valet " unpack, the rule of thumb is unpack to bench top only, this is a world wide industry standard.
The people you sent the photos to would have known this and were humouring you.
You are entilled to ONE only Debris disposal, others are to be paid for, so it pays to get all your cartons unpacked and disposed of in one hit..........MM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.