Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gold Coast - the good, the bad and the ugly?

Gold Coast - the good, the bad and the ugly?

Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:09 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gold Coast - the good, the bad and the ugly?

Originally Posted by auspal
I dont think that the drug problem is anywhere near what is being experienced in the UK, IMHO.

Soapy, the guys ( and gals) you are picking up from the watchhouse have probably had 4 hours to sober up in the cells, there is a huge difference in attitude from when they get taken in there, thank goodness

Sorry you got a speeding ticket mate, it happens to the best of us.
nah i deserved it lol

your right, i know they have had at least four hours to sober up. you would think he police would at least give them enough money for a taxi home though
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:10 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clippies
Erm.....erm......ah well, I would but erm...I'm too tight
ah well, the pish will have to stay locked away
Old Sep 26th 2007, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by soapy
nah i deserved it lol

your right, i know they have had at least four hours to sober up. you would think he police would at least give them enough money for a taxi home though
They give them 5 cents for their cash bail, if they are skint, what more do they want?
Old Sep 26th 2007, 6:44 pm
Im here to help :)

Location: Flying to the Gold Coast 3rd July to live the dream - woo hoo!!!!!!!!
jutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to all

Hya,

I have spoken to my fiance and he would recommend looking @ Carrara, Ashmore, Mullendiner (dont know how to spell it) Burleigh Waters, Ellenora, Gaven, Pacific Pines. Also he said to avoid Nerang, Labrador, Southport (DSS places) you need to let me know if you are a young couple or a family, or single as then he can tel you the best areas. Also Mermaid waters, Broadbeach and Nobbys are all expensive!!

Jutang and Dingoe
Old Sep 27th 2007, 4:46 am
Master of verbal pish©

It’s Molendinar, just in case anyone is doing a search for it

When I first got here I answered a thread about areas on the coast. If I read it now I would laugh at how stupid I was.
To be honest there’s no real bad areas on the coast. When an area has a lot of rentals it’s classed as a bad area!

Labrador is one of there’s areas where rent is a bit cheaper because the houses are older. But if I had money to invest in a house it would be there that I would buy. Most of the rentals will be on prime land in about 10 years.
The people, who own them, know this. That’s why the houses are left to rot. The house is worth very little money, it’s the land they want to keep. So they charge cheap rent to keep long term tenants in. it’s a good move and works for both the people who are renting it and the owner. But there is a down side for people who want to Buy in an area then turn their noses up at people who are struggling to keep their heads above water. It’s also very close to Southport (the CBD area of the coast) and people who are less fortunate than the rest tend to live closer to amenities.

Nerang was the first real suburb built for families, so that’s why it gets tarred with the “Bad area” name. Some parts of Nerang are lovely. It also has a motorway running through it and has plenty large retail areas, something that was seen as a negative for a long time. But people have spotted that they are two minutes from a motorway and that’s an advantage when trying to get to work. You only have to look and see where they are building now to see it. All the areas are right next to the motorway. The old areas that are now taking off are all very close to it too. Have a look at the rise in the house prices in Nerang over the last 3 years. that should give you a good indication of the direction its heading.

Southport is growing; it won’t be too long before you can’t afford a house there. Its in a race with Robina, who are trying very hard to become the next CBD of the coast. But I doubt if Robina will ever catch up. Plans to build another 12 residential/office towers have been approved in the last 12 months for Southport.

Ashmore has some of the best old houses on the coast. Some parts of it are just beautiful. But it’s just too close to Molendinar (very industrial). It won’t be long before they start to pull down old factories to build. And gawd only knows what shit they have pumped into the ground over the years?

Just remember though. This is just my opinion lol
Old Sep 27th 2007, 7:04 am
Banned

Trendsetter is an unknown quantity at this point

It's interesting how Gold Coast real estate has flattened out in recent years.

I bought a 2 bedroom unit in Mermaid Waters back in 2002 for $125K. For the next 2 years I was studying at the local uni and was only paying $680 per month on this piddly mortgage.

2 years later when I was ready to leave the the Gold Coast in search of employment, I sold for $280k.

So in 2 years I made $155k in capital gains. That's $77.5 per year for sitting on my arse playing drinking games with some of the Gold Coast's finest.

I laugh now when I see the same unit, 2 years on, selling for only $10k more.

The boom sure was a big one over 2002-2004.

I don't think we'll ever see increases even close to that again on the GC. If I was buying to invest at the moment, I would be pumping my money into the Sunshine Coast. It's way under valued.