Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gold Coast - the good, the bad and the ugly?

Gold Coast - the good, the bad and the ugly?

Old Sep 26th 2007, 5:11 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gold Coast - the good, the bad and the ugly?

The Good – About an hour after the post above I turned a corner and was met by a family of kangaroos in Coomera. Later in the morning I spotted a huge lizard on the road in Coombabah.
The sun shines just about every day here, something that still gives me a lift.
Oh and the free BBQs all over this place.

The bad – Water restrictions!

The Ugly – Drinking and driving! Now that’s a real problem.

Drugs aren’t a major problem here. Its here, but nothing like Glasgow. Its not in your face like it was in the UK. I don’t see junkies hanging about the streets here like I did in Glasgow. Pauline says that it because they have a tan here that it make them harder to spot lol

I pick up a lot of the dregs of the Gold Coast from the Southport watch house every night, and to be honest if that’s as bad as it gets then im a happy man.

The gold coast has some problems, just like any city in the world. But the police do a fantastic job containing most of it. As I have said before that I find the police a bit heavy handed here, but it seems to work. Maybe we should go back to the old style of policing.
I really shouldn’t be sticking up for the police because they handed me my first speeding ticket today ( Im sure it was the family of kangaroos who grassed me) but the police officer was very fair.

Its very hard not to like this place, but everyone have different ideas of where they want to live so it’s a bit pointless us telling anyone why WE like the Gold Coast.

Soapys advice : If you are a young couple I would say head for Sydney, north or south it doesn’t matter. The whole place has everything you would ever need. After a few years if you decide to have children, migrate north where they have so many sunny days to decide what they want to do, and its not dictated by the weather.
In the three and a half years we have been in Australia we have spent more weekends out than we did our entire lives in the UK. now that might not be everyone’s cup of tea?
But its oor big Urn.

Remember, life is like a box of chocolates. But its that hot oot here if your not careful, it could all melt and look like shit!
Old Sep 26th 2007, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Location: Chichester, England, Auckland, NZ, Gold Coast, Oz. Going back to UK 17th Oct
DebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud of

Over the last few days police have been trying to put a stop to car hoons and drunk drivers. See this link

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...top-story.html

Time will tell!!!

Last edited by DebiE; Sep 26th 2007 at 5:35 am.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 5:39 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebiE
Over the last few days police have been trying to put a stop to car hoons and drunk drivers. See this link

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...top-story.html

Time will tell!!!
yeh its working. they chased a mad taxi driver up ferry Rd early this morning
Old Sep 26th 2007, 5:44 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by soapy
We are coming to the Gold Coast end of Dec for a short holiday doing the theme parks. Have you been to them? are they any good?

Problem really for us is that we have been to Disney Land in Orlando, so i know not to expect too much from the GC.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

Location: Chichester, England, Auckland, NZ, Gold Coast, Oz. Going back to UK 17th Oct
DebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud of

Who the police or the roos?
Old Sep 26th 2007, 6:28 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Good post Soapy

Now kindly resume to your usual pish if you don't mind
Old Sep 26th 2007, 6:29 am
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
We are coming to the Gold Coast end of Dec for a short holiday doing the theme parks. Have you been to them? are they any good?

Problem really for us is that we have been to Disney Land in Orlando, so i know not to expect too much from the GC.
i have never done any of the parks, but hear great things about them. but if you have been to the USA ones, well i doubt if they will leave an impression lol
theres a few posters on here who have been to them. so keep an eye out. im sure someone will reply
Old Sep 26th 2007, 6:30 am
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by Clippies
Good post Soapy

Now kindly resume to your usual pish if you don't mind
if you pay my fine?
Old Sep 26th 2007, 6:32 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

if you pay my fine?
Erm.....erm......ah well, I would but erm...I'm too tight
Old Sep 26th 2007, 6:32 am
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by DebiE
Who the police or the roos?
Old Sep 26th 2007, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

I dont think that the drug problem is anywhere near what is being experienced in the UK, IMHO.

Soapy, the guys ( and gals) you are picking up from the watchhouse have probably had 4 hours to sober up in the cells, there is a huge difference in attitude from when they get taken in there, thank goodness

Sorry you got a speeding ticket mate, it happens to the best of us.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 8:02 am
Im here to help :)

Location: Flying to the Gold Coast 3rd July to live the dream - woo hoo!!!!!!!!
jutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to all

Hya,

yeh parks are good!!! I went to Seaworld and Dreamworld, did not go to Movie World or the outback show, but apparently they are good too. I was quite lucky as my fiance's uncle works for the parks and we got free tickets - as it can be expensive!! When we go back next year to get married we are gonna go to Seaworld again and go swimming with the dolphins - cannie wait!!!

There are so many good places to go on the Goldcoast, you must check out Q1, the tallest residential building in the southern hemisphere - its spectacular when lightning strikes it. Check out the Hinterlands - Mt Tamborine and Springbrook. Also take a drive over the border to NSW and check out Nimbin, Byron and a lovely little town called Mooball.

With regards to drugs - I wouldnt say there is a prevalent drugs prob - there obviously are kids who take drugs, but this does not mean they are junkies or violent, its just like any other culture in the world today when it comes to recreational drugs use - I never saw a big prob with it anyways

Good friends of mine moved there a year before I lived there and they did the move purely to give their kids a better future and they do not regret it. Every morning the weather is good, well 95% of every day. Its a wonderful place!! I cant wait to emigrate back there!!
Old Sep 26th 2007, 8:44 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute
Default Theme Parks!

Hi Nu!

If, like us you've done Orlando, then you'll find the theme parks small, but they are perfectly formed....
In Movie world the Shrek 4d show is EXACTLY the same as the Universal one!

The Batman drop ride is Bigger than the one next to Spider man in Universal! (I think that it's the biggest in the world!) The boys wouldn't go on it and usually they're up for Anything!!!

It's good, but don't expect Disney proportions, you'll only disappoint yourself if you do!

Ali x
Old Sep 26th 2007, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the posts

We have been to the GC but only for the weekend so you don't really get to know what it's like to actually live there.

We have friends who have brought a lovely waterfront property which cost them a few bucks at Hope Island (out of our pricerange though)

Hubbie did think the main area was abit like Great Yarmouth but it was fun all the same. I liked the area south, near the border of NSW but prices seem very high.

Our main priority is obviously work, then school for our 13 year old. We don't want to be too far from the action but far enough away, if you understand me.

Mandy
Old Sep 26th 2007, 2:41 pm
Im here to help :)

Location: Flying to the Gold Coast 3rd July to live the dream - woo hoo!!!!!!!!
jutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to all

Hello,,

I wil ask my Fiance as he is a born and bred GC boy, he will know good places to live @ affordable prices. I know yuo should stay away from buying properties in Nerang, Palm Beach and Southport Central - as few DSS bums, like every city/town all over the world!! I know Coomera is nice, Mermaid Waters, Broadbeach, Bureigh Heads - but pricy!! Especially Hedges Ave, prices are real expensive!! I will get back to you, but you may have to remind me to get back to you, as memory is not so good @ mo!! Soz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.