Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia or Canada

Australia or Canada

Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

sinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of light
Default Australia or Canada

Hi,
I posted this in the Canada forum too but wanted to get both view points.

Ok story so for is, we started the visa process for Oz in March this year, went to Brisbane for 3 weeks and loved it although wasn't sure about moving there (dearer houses, worried about the extreme heat), thought Adelaide would be better for us (although never been!!!) So we continued with the waiting for skills assessment, which we got in August and have since proceeded with the next step.

But Canada was also in the back of my mind so to try and settle things we went for a week's reccie to Halifax NS in Sept, looking at houses and jobs etc and well we absolutely loved it. Of course now the dilema is, do we wait the remaining 6-9 months (all being well -skill on MODL) for the Oz visa or do we continue with the job hunting in Canada, and possibly another reccie in the hope we get a job offer and then apply for PR - applying for PR for Canada will take 5+ years but a job offer will speed things up?

Argh its all soooooo confusing but if anyone has any experience of living in both Canda and Australia any info would be most appreciated, positives AND negatives

Cheers,
Sinead
Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:47 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia or Canada

Originally Posted by sinurt
Hi,

Ok story so for is, we started the visa process for Oz in March this year, went to Brisbane for 3 weeks and loved it although wasn't sure about moving there (dearer houses, worried about the extreme heat), thought Adelaide would be better for us (although never been!!!) So we continued with the waiting for skills assessment, which we got in August and have since proceeded with the next step.

But Canada was also in the back of my mind so to try and settle things we went for a week's reccie to Halifax NS in Sept, looking at houses and jobs etc and well we absolutely loved it. Of course now the dilema is, do we wait the remaining 6-9 months (all being well -skill on MODL) for the Oz visa or do we continue with the job hunting in Canada, and possibly another reccie in the hope we get a job offer and then apply for PR - applying for PR for Canada will take 5+ years but a job offer will speed things up?

Argh its all soooooo confusing but if anyone has any experience of living in both Canda and Australia any info would be most appreciated, positives AND negatives

Cheers,
Sinead
Having lived in both I would choose Australia every day of the week purely on the weather alone. Canada does have the benefit of being much closer to the UK for trips home, Australia is a long way and you feel the distance even those of us that are settled feel it. Big decision, we have just had to make the same one and chose Australia.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Cheers,
Sinead
I had to choose between Australia, Canada, or South Africa. South Africa won because they took the least time to get everything processed. Had several very pleasant years in Namibia, the Republic, Botswana, and Rhodesia.

Canada is fantastic; I worked for Canadian construction outfit Ryco BCM. Vancouver has to be one of the most picturesque places ever; Canadian people are nice, Canadian musicians are tops........ but the weather It gets cold enough to make grown people cry over there.

Downunder................ been here 18 years and love it. No intentions of ever leaving.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 10:09 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

This was our dilemma to. I wanted to take the canada route I love the snow and have family in Halifax NS. Hubby doesnt like the cold though so I agreed to Aus and now i'm really excited about going we are in the final stages of applying and hope to be in Cairns by feb.

If it all goes wrong in Australia though am heading for the snow

kaye
Old Sep 20th 2007, 10:38 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Been to Canada loads of times and lived in NZ, going to Oz now. When it's cold in Canada you will be amazed how cold it is. But it does not stop the Canadians from living their lives. Go for what you feel is best for you.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 10:22 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm a Canadian and now live in Australia. I would say the biggest factor is the weather and the job opportunites. I love both countries and in many ways they are pretty similar.

If you can handle the temperature being below zero (about 0 to -30 or so) for 5-6 months of the year then go for it. But if that doesn't appeal to you then go to Australia. I love Canada but I'm not the type to do outdoor activities in the winter so I tend to stay inside as much as possible in the winter.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the US in Baltimore, quite a distance from Canada. However, the winters here are terrible. I can only imagine (not that I want to LOL) how cold it is in Canada. It must be beyond freezing. The winters in the UK are mild in comparison. As I get older, I really feel the cold and can understand people who say weather is a big deciding factor in where they live. I have friends in Australia who wish for the snow. They have a romantic idea of what it is like. However, they have NO idea of the reality of living in thick snow and freezing temperatures for months on end. Easy answer, if you don't like the cold, don't move to Canada.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wardy2
This was our dilemma to. I wanted to take the canada route I love the snow and have family in Halifax NS. Hubby doesnt like the cold though so I agreed to Aus and now i'm really excited about going we are in the final stages of applying and hope to be in Cairns by feb.

If it all goes wrong in Australia though am heading for the snow

kaye
We got snow in Australia too you know......... heaps of it when in season?
Old Sep 26th 2007, 1:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

In the time it's taking Canada to look at an application for immigration, you could have migrated to Australia and become an Australian citizen.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 1:46 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
In the time it's taking Canada to look at an application for immigration, you could have migrated to Australia and become an Australian citizen.
My thoughts exactly
Old Sep 26th 2007, 4:03 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

For the cold thing in Canada, I lived in Southern Ontario where it does not regularly get all that cold. My last winter in Canada (2006-06) we only had about 3 or 4 weeks of snow and it rarely went below about -10. It's not like as soon as you cross the border from the US it suddenly becomes the high Arctic or something. Were Comet lived was the far north of Alberta, which yes, can get very cold. The lower areas, such as Toronto or Niagra regions are much more temperate and in fact farther south than Seattle.

Although I hate to disagree with Bobcat, Vancouver may look nice to a tourist, but it is a festering armpit if you ask me. Junkies, homelss and hookers as far as the eye can see. Living there was the worst 3 years of my life. It's filthy and the downtown east side, west end and Stanley Park are all unsafe at night for anyone.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 4:40 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I've never been to Canada, I'm sure it's very nice but...

Australia

Canada is too cold.

Plus all the Canadians I've met/worked with have no sense of humour whatsoever.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 4:52 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

-10, the wife starts to moan if it get below 15

Originally Posted by Dorothy
My last winter in Canada (2006-06) we only had about 3 or 4 weeks of snow and it rarely went below about -10.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 5:26 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by themerlin
-10, the wife starts to moan if it get below 15
I know what she means though. I'm cold at 23c.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 6:30 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny, if it gets below 25 in the house she starts putting jumpers on the kids. 25 in the UK and they would be running round the garden naked

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I know what she means though. I'm cold at 23c.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.