Giving up on Oz

Old Mar 22nd 2013, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

salmonking is just really nicesalmonking is just really nicesalmonking is just really nicesalmonking is just really nicesalmonking is just really nicesalmonking is just really nicesalmonking is just really nicesalmonking is just really nice
Default Re: Giving up on Oz

Originally Posted by chris955
We moved back last year, no regrets at all. People are friendly and helpful, groceries are cheap and much more variety. Ignore most of the doom and gloom nonsense. You often find people need to leave the UK to realise it isnt that bad afterall.
not in all cases,we went and came back 5 years ago,and its the worst thing we did! give it 3-4 years,you may feel different!
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

joe38 will become famous soon enoughjoe38 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by blackcab
Anyone, i guess many have. Been in Oz over a year, just had enough, the heat, humidity, keep getting bit, insects in the unit, just cannot settle. Noisy neighbours, our new neighbour plays his music so we can hear it clearly, asked him to turn it down, he is 20, lives there with two mates. Just takes no notice.

Its all getting to us i think, we know we left the UK because we were sick of the UK, but now we are here, wrongly or righly we think maybe its not that bad. I am in no way slagging off Australia, just not sure its for us, in our later forties, well heading there me.
Its just if we leave, we can never come back, our visa PR has expired, we have not completed two years yet, so its all over when we leave. But its starting to have an affect on my partners health. Sleeping just feeling terrible, mainly the heat, bites, noise, i guess its easier to cope when you have to keep warm and are not covered in bites that itch. Build into that a lack of sleep, having to drive ebverywhere, know very few people, and paying out 50% of our income in rent. We feel like we are no happier, just warmer. We live in a lovely area, Ascot, just north of Brisbane. But me especially, i could baord a flight tonight, i know when i get home, i will regret it. Well thats my moan, just wanted to tell someone.
i have thought to go somewhere else ,was on the gold coast ,we came back to the uk i regret it so much life is so much better in oz
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

blackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by joe38
i have thought to go somewhere else ,was on the gold coast ,we came back to the uk i regret it so much life is so much better in oz
I think the thing is with me, when things are good, they are good, admittedly, better when here in Oz. So today things are good, and good is better here by far, as so much more is free. But when i hit a bump in he road, is when things are bad. They are so much more bad here as i feel i am out of my comfort zone. It is not my home country, i was not born here. I will never be an Australian, so always feel outside looking in. I guess you just have to accept that as immigrants, but its hard not to always compare to home, as home as in the UK. That feeling of being English, born and bred, its a massive safety net no matter how bad things get when you are home.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 4:32 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I think the thing is with me, when things are good, they are good, admittedly, better when here in Oz. So today things are good, and good is better here by far, as so much more is free. But when i hit a bump in he road, is when things are bad. They are so much more bad here as i feel i am out of my comfort zone. It is not my home country, i was not born here. I will never be an Australian, so always feel outside looking in. I guess you just have to accept that as immigrants, but its hard not to always compare to home, as home as in the UK. That feeling of being English, born and bred, its a massive safety net no matter how bad things get when you are home.
The problem is after a few years here in Aus you'll likely feel like a fish out of water even if you return "home". That's why so many end up as ping pongers. Wanderlust is now in your veins!
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing beats belonging IMHO. So go where you feel you belong! It's been 18 fabulous months for me here back in UK and though I know I shall be dragged back kicking and screaming to the boredom of Australia at some point (the wanderlust may well return, of course given enough time and I may just be screaming and not kicking when the time comes) I am having a wonderful time belonging at the moment. Life in Australia was certainly far worse for me - but, horses for courses I guess!
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 10:08 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Nothing beats belonging IMHO. So go where you feel you belong! It's been 18 fabulous months for me here back in UK and though I know I shall be dragged back kicking and screaming to the boredom of Australia at some point (the wanderlust may well return, of course given enough time and I may just be screaming and not kicking when the time comes) I am having a wonderful time belonging at the moment. Life in Australia was certainly far worse for me - but, horses for courses I guess!
How is your hubby finding things? Doesn't he miss Australia?
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Just what I was thinking. Missed off the 17,202 boat people Australia took in last year.
Australia's white settlement in 1788 began with a fleet of boat people. Probably they were the right kind though even if felons of the day.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
And the others?
I was just highlighting the imbalance in migration to Australian from the UK compared to other large western countries. It seems odd to me that so many Britons are migrating to Australia. Why aren't more Americans or Germans moving here?
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budawang
I was just highlighting the imbalance in migration to Australian from the UK compared to other large western countries. It seems odd to me that so many Britons are migrating to Australia. Why aren't more Americans or Germans moving here?
It's partly a colonial thing as well as an economic thing. Brits emigrate to former colonies like Oz and Canada and you also have people wishing to join up with family and friends who have emigrated in the past. I guess the flipside of that coin is why do you find so many Aussies in Earls Court and not more Germans?

If you ask most Americans they live in the greatest country in the world so most of them probably don't want to emigrate. Germans? Maybe language and also they are better off than the Brits on average so less economic necessity to look for a perceived better life.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

I i feel i am out of my comfort zone. It is not my home country, i was not born here. I will never be an Australian, so always feel outside looking in. That feeling of being English, born and bred, its a massive safety net no matter how bad things get when you are home.
I am glad to hear someone else saying this, I have been feeling exactly like this for sometime now. I am in perth and need to decide in the next week whether I should return home to the uk or risk heading to melbourne and seeing if its any better for me.
I am worried I will still feel the same way about australia when I give melbourne a try. I am really torn over what to do

Quoll its great to hear you are happy being back in the uk, it lifts my heart that its possible to go back, and accept the uk both good and bad things and be happy there
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 1:43 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by salmonking
not in all cases,we went and came back 5 years ago,and its the worst thing we did! give it 3-4 years,you may feel different!
Of course not in all cases, no more than going to Australia is the best for everyone. Noone would say a situation applies to everyone.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

bra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Budawang
Maybe because there are so many Britons here?
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
It's partly a colonial thing as well as an economic thing. Brits emigrate to former colonies like Oz and Canada and you also have people wishing to join up with family and friends who have emigrated in the past. I guess the flipside of that coin is why do you find so many Aussies in Earls Court and not more Germans?

If you ask most Americans they live in the greatest country in the world so most of them probably don't want to emigrate. Germans? Maybe language and also they are better off than the Brits on average so less economic necessity to look for a perceived better life.
All your points are good ones, although I doubt there'd be a great many born and bred Aussies with no family ties settling permanently in the UK these days. As for Americans, I think it does come down to their extreme patriotism although given the harsh reality of the impoverishment and hollowing out of the US middle class and the positive image of Australia over there I still find it surprising more aren't coming. Anecdotal evidence on BE suggests a lot of dissatisfaction with the quality of life in the US - just look at the posts on Moving Back To The UK.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

salmonking is just really nicesalmonking is just really nicesalmonking is just really nicesalmonking is just really nicesalmonking is just really nicesalmonking is just really nicesalmonking is just really nicesalmonking is just really nice

Originally Posted by chris955
Of course not in all cases, no more than going to Australia is the best for everyone. Noone would say a situation applies to everyone.
no your right there,it suits some not others! didn't suit me at the time,but after these five years Im seriously thinking being "home"in the uk isn't for me either!!.could be the start of being a yo yo traveller!!lol.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dave99
I am glad to hear someone else saying this, I have been feeling exactly like this for sometime now. I am in perth and need to decide in the next week whether I should return home to the uk or risk heading to melbourne and seeing if its any better for me.
I am worried I will still feel the same way about australia when I give melbourne a try. I am really torn over what to do

Quoll its great to hear you are happy being back in the uk, it lifts my heart that its possible to go back, and accept the uk both good and bad things and be happy there
id say if you can,try Melbourne.by you stating going to Melbourne you sound undecided,like your not sure about coming back.give it a go in Melbourne,if it doesn't work out and you feel the same,come back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.