Giving up on Oz

Old Jan 20th 2013, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

blackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of light
Default Giving up on Oz

Anyone, i guess many have. Been in Oz over a year, just had enough, the heat, humidity, keep getting bit, insects in the unit, just cannot settle. Noisy neighbours, our new neighbour plays his music so we can hear it clearly, asked him to turn it down, he is 20, lives there with two mates. Just takes no notice.

Its all getting to us i think, we know we left the UK because we were sick of the UK, but now we are here, wrongly or righly we think maybe its not that bad. I am in no way slagging off Australia, just not sure its for us, in our later forties, well heading there me.
Its just if we leave, we can never come back, our visa PR has expired, we have not completed two years yet, so its all over when we leave. But its starting to have an affect on my partners health. Sleeping just feeling terrible, mainly the heat, bites, noise, i guess its easier to cope when you have to keep warm and are not covered in bites that itch. Build into that a lack of sleep, having to drive ebverywhere, know very few people, and paying out 50% of our income in rent. We feel like we are no happier, just warmer. We live in a lovely area, Ascot, just north of Brisbane. But me especially, i could baord a flight tonight, i know when i get home, i will regret it. Well thats my moan, just wanted to tell someone.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Giving up on Oz

Originally Posted by blackcab
Well thats my moan, just wanted to tell someone.
Sounds like you have had a rough weekend/week with having just moved into a place.

Hope the week ahead is better for you
Old Jan 20th 2013, 9:36 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that,maybe take a wee trip somewhere,recharge the batteries n yer minds,good luck mate

PS,DO NOT return this week,baltic
Old Jan 20th 2013, 9:45 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone, i guess many have. Been in Oz over a year, just had enough, the heat, humidity, keep getting bit, insects in the unit, just cannot settle. Noisy neighbours, our new neighbour plays his music so we can hear it clearly, asked him to turn it down, he is 20, lives there with two mates. Just takes no notice.

Its all getting to us i think, we know we left the UK because we were sick of the UK, but now we are here, wrongly or righly we think maybe its not that bad. I am in no way slagging off Australia, just not sure its for us, in our later forties, well heading there me.
Its just if we leave, we can never come back, our visa PR has expired, we have not completed two years yet, so its all over when we leave. But its starting to have an affect on my partners health. Sleeping just feeling terrible, mainly the heat, bites, noise, i guess its easier to cope when you have to keep warm and are not covered in bites that itch. Build into that a lack of sleep, having to drive ebverywhere, know very few people, and paying out 50% of our income in rent. We feel like we are no happier, just warmer. We live in a lovely area, Ascot, just north of Brisbane. But me especially, i could baord a flight tonight, i know when i get home, i will regret it. Well thats my moan, just wanted to tell someone.
Sounds like in the last 12 months, you have had so much pressure heaped on you, especially moving twice within that time,, not reallyhaving a chance to settle into the place. Rents in Brisbane definitely are so high it is ridiculous, and by the sounds of it, your real estate agents are a pain.
Next time there is a meetup, come along and let off some pressure in a relaxed atmosphere, or ask around on the forum as I am sure someone will make the time to have a drink or coffee with you. Bus route 321 will get you into the city or you could catch a train from Toombul as well. The favourite watering hole usually the Pig and Whistle in Eagle Street.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

blackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
Sounds like you have had a rough weekend/week with having just moved into a place.

Hope the week ahead is better for you
Terrible week, thanks.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Sorry to hear that,maybe take a wee trip somewhere,recharge the batteries n yer minds,good luck mate

PS,DO NOT return this week,baltic
Thanks very much for your kind comments
Old Jan 20th 2013, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Sounds like in the last 12 months, you have had so much pressure heaped on you, especially moving twice within that time,, not reallyhaving a chance to settle into the place. Rents in Brisbane definitely are so high it is ridiculous, and by the sounds of it, your real estate agents are a pain.
Next time there is a meetup, come along and let off some pressure in a relaxed atmosphere, or ask around on the forum as I am sure someone will make the time to have a drink or coffee with you. Bus route 321 will get you into the city or you could catch a train from Toombul as well. The favourite watering hole usually the Pig and Whistle in Eagle Street.
Thanks for your comments, taking the time to reply, its appreciated. I think if it gets too bad, we will break lease, our unit ain't all that bad, we should rent it easily, will only have to pay one weeks rent, and advertising fees. But i cannot have many more weeks like the last few. I will break, when you are walking around just knowing its not right, but also knowing it might be worse in the UK, and the Oz dream has vanished for good. Its our own faults, should have done two years in the five years we had our visa's, no one to blame but ourselves.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 10:04 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like a very familiar story, I have lost count of how many times I have heard the UK is crap and Australia must be better, unfortunately same shit different bucket. Often moving makes you realise it wasnt actually that bad at all. None of us can tell you what to do, you just have to do what your heart tells you is best. Good luck.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

lynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nice

Come down to Melbourne. The weather is much more moderate here, with just enough properly hot days for the beach/BBQ but virtually no humidity or annoying insects.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 11:09 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up near Melbourne, no annoying insects ?
Old Jan 20th 2013, 11:11 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I grew up near Melbourne, no annoying insects ?
Look in yer mirror
Old Jan 20th 2013, 11:15 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynetteh
Come down to Melbourne. The weather is much more moderate here, with just enough properly hot days for the beach/BBQ but virtually no humidity or annoying insects.
Before you travel 12,000 miles back..... why not try somewhere else a little closer? This is such a big country, Melbourne will be totally different to where you live and the same for Perth, where the heat will be much dryer and totally different to Melbourne. There are many choices in the country, maybe for whatever reason, you haven't made the right one for you..... yet!

I do feel for you with the noisy neighbors..... unfortunately that is the bad side of living here, too many people just don't care about the people around them.

Seriously consider not going until you have secured PR or Citizenship, just so you and your kids(?) have choices in life.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 11:22 am
FREE TIBET

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
Before you travel 12,000 miles back..... why not try somewhere else a little closer? This is such a big country, Melbourne will be totally different to where you live and the same for Perth, where the heat will be much dryer and totally different to Melbourne. There are many choices in the country, maybe for whatever reason, you haven't made the right one for you..... yet!

I do feel for you with the noisy neighbors..... unfortunately that is the bad side of living here, too many people just don't care about the people around them.

Seriously consider not going until you have secured PR or Citizenship, just so you and your kids(?) have choices in life.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need to move south and give it another try. It took me 13 months to get used to the country, and after my two years, retuned to the UK. A year later I was back in Oz and stayed another 50 years.

Melbourne is a good place to live, big, bright and bustling, but if you want a less dynamic location with only 1.3 million people, Adelaide is the place to go.

If you are being bitten at night and are too hot it seems as if you don't have air-conditioning or fly screens, certainly a big need in Australia. You have lots of things to consider before giving up, one location doesn't represent the whole of Australia. I've had a bad time since returning to England to live 14 months ago, Australia feels like paradise now in my mind. Think about moving to another town or city before you burn your bridges.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 12:00 pm
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

Can I just add to the other Melbourne posts that a high percentage of the BE failure rate in Australia tends to be in the SE quarter of Queensland, lots of episodes of wanted down under bear this out too.
Now, I am not belittling Brisvegas or the Gold coast here, but it seems to me that the culture shock of coming from the UK to that particular corner of the world tends to be just that little too much for a lot of people.
I first emigrated to Christchurch NZ knowing that it was a couple of degrees warmer than London and moved to Melbourne knowing that it was another couple of degrees warmer than Christchurch. the climate is similar regarding humidity and the insects are only a little scarier here in Melbourne than SE England so I only have to deal with the culture differences.
Little steps could be your answer to settling here and I think you took quite a large one going to Brisbane, remember Australia is bigger than Europe and you wouldn't write off all of Europe because of a bad experience in Barcelona now, would you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.