Giving up on Oz

Old Mar 21st 2013, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

salmonking is just really nicesalmonking is just really nicesalmonking is just really nicesalmonking is just really nicesalmonking is just really nicesalmonking is just really nicesalmonking is just really nicesalmonking is just really nice
Default Re: Giving up on Oz

Originally Posted by blackcab
Anyone, i guess many have. Been in Oz over a year, just had enough, the heat, humidity, keep getting bit, insects in the unit, just cannot settle. Noisy neighbours, our new neighbour plays his music so we can hear it clearly, asked him to turn it down, he is 20, lives there with two mates. Just takes no notice.

Its all getting to us i think, we know we left the UK because we were sick of the UK, but now we are here, wrongly or righly we think maybe its not that bad. I am in no way slagging off Australia, just not sure its for us, in our later forties, well heading there me.
Its just if we leave, we can never come back, our visa PR has expired, we have not completed two years yet, so its all over when we leave. But its starting to have an affect on my partners health. Sleeping just feeling terrible, mainly the heat, bites, noise, i guess its easier to cope when you have to keep warm and are not covered in bites that itch. Build into that a lack of sleep, having to drive ebverywhere, know very few people, and paying out 50% of our income in rent. We feel like we are no happier, just warmer. We live in a lovely area, Ascot, just north of Brisbane. But me especially, i could baord a flight tonight, i know when i get home, i will regret it. Well thats my moan, just wanted to tell someone.
all I would say to you is to think carefully before you come back.i was in your position 5 years ago.my wife,me and my daughter moved to Brisbane from the uk looking for a better life,we were there for just over a year before we came "home".well to be honest I wish id stuck it out.home just is not the same anymore.our reasons for coming back.homesick,fed up of the heat,the insects(mainly bloody ants,i know it sounds stupid!),spiders,i got biten by a red back,the huntsmen,they were bloody everywhere!snakes,saw lots of them!.we were worried as my daughter was just starting to walk and explore!.also once we settled and I was working,i just kept on thinking about working back home and it was no different.well.......
now we have been back 5 years what I miss....the heat!!!.the weather in the uk really is terrible for the past 3 years.the outdoor living,you can plan ahead trips to the beach,zoo,waterparks.you cant do this in the uk.bbq's we have had 2 since we have been back!!.the wildlife,seeing kookaburra,gallar's,laurakeets even bloody bush turkeys!!,kangaroo's,koala,s,gecko's,lizards every day was beutifull.now we are back crows and magpies don't have the same appeal!lol.work,yes its the same as the uk but going to work in shorts and tshirt instead of thermal clothes for 9 months of the year!starting at 6am but finishing at 2pm that's the way forward!.
we were silly not giving it longer to get over the homesickness.if you are feeling any of this,find friends,join clubs,anything to get your mind off it,this is what we didn't do enough of.
weigh the pro's and con's of aus v uk

weather=really has to be aus,im sitting here now,end of march.it is 3 degrees,blowing a gale,damp and some parts of the country have 8" of snow.

people= I will never have a go at the brits but.....to be honest there aint many left!!.no that's wrong,there are more and more eastern Europeans coming every day.now I don't mind any nationality coming as long as they are willing to support themselves,but these are not and quite frankly,we are full!.the aussies=nice, friendly, outgoing people,who love a beer and a bbq!.

sport=do I really have to answer this one!just look at the set ups at uni's,clubs and the like.compared to uk government selling off school playing fields for housing!

cost of living= I had to pay £1.51 per litre for diesel yesterday!,my mortgage is a lot more than renting in aus,food is going through the roof,fair enough but.....wages are not going up!.

governments,now,i dont know what state out there is in at the moment,but here is a disgrace.if your willing to be honest,work hard your going to get clobbered.if you want to have 12 kids,stay in bed all day,be anti social you will be looked after fine!i wasn't brought up that way.

I know this reply is going on a bit and probably doesn't make much sense but PLEASE before you make your decision have a seriouse think about it the grass isn't always greener on the other side and it definatly isn't at the moment.try and stay out there until you get your passport,then if you want to come home you can go back in the future.this is one thing im sorry I didn't do.
id go back tomorrow if I could.i currently working on my wife as she is not keen.
one final thing about the insects,snakes and spiders.....they are not really that bad.
good luck with what you decide
Old Mar 21st 2013, 12:43 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Well she wont move back and we have 50/50 care so in a nutshell no way I could move back on my own and leave him here and courts favour the status quo, besides it's a fight I'd rather not have. After 8 years here now it's becoming bearable and who knows one day I might like it more than back home. For that to happen a few things need to change. One I need a lobotomy, Two I need a tesco or asda next door to me (So long as they come here and dont adopt the Aussie way, you know, no choice and high priced monopoly).
A decent English type pub or two within a few K of me. Air fares need to be the same price as if you bought the ticket in the UK. Oh and the big one, all the true blue Aussie Battlers need to emigrate to the UK.
arkon - I think that if all the true blue Aussie Battlers go to the UK, then it's only fair that all the true blue UK Battlers come to Oz. Never mind, at least you'll hear familiar accents in the Tescos next door
Old Mar 21st 2013, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

blackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by salmonking
all I would say to you is to think carefully before you come back.i was in your position 5 years ago.my wife,me and my daughter moved to Brisbane from the uk looking for a better life,we were there for just over a year before we came "home".well to be honest I wish id stuck it out.home just is not the same anymore.our reasons for coming back.homesick,fed up of the heat,the insects(mainly bloody ants,i know it sounds stupid!),spiders,i got biten by a red back,the huntsmen,they were bloody everywhere!snakes,saw lots of them!.we were worried as my daughter was just starting to walk and explore!.also once we settled and I was working,i just kept on thinking about working back home and it was no different.well.......
now we have been back 5 years what I miss....the heat!!!.the weather in the uk really is terrible for the past 3 years.the outdoor living,you can plan ahead trips to the beach,zoo,waterparks.you cant do this in the uk.bbq's we have had 2 since we have been back!!.the wildlife,seeing kookaburra,gallar's,laurakeets even bloody bush turkeys!!,kangaroo's,koala,s,gecko's,lizards every day was beutifull.now we are back crows and magpies don't have the same appeal!lol.work,yes its the same as the uk but going to work in shorts and tshirt instead of thermal clothes for 9 months of the year!starting at 6am but finishing at 2pm that's the way forward!.
we were silly not giving it longer to get over the homesickness.if you are feeling any of this,find friends,join clubs,anything to get your mind off it,this is what we didn't do enough of.
weigh the pro's and con's of aus v uk

weather=really has to be aus,im sitting here now,end of march.it is 3 degrees,blowing a gale,damp and some parts of the country have 8" of snow.

people= I will never have a go at the brits but.....to be honest there aint many left!!.no that's wrong,there are more and more eastern Europeans coming every day.now I don't mind any nationality coming as long as they are willing to support themselves,but these are not and quite frankly,we are full!.the aussies=nice, friendly, outgoing people,who love a beer and a bbq!.

sport=do I really have to answer this one!just look at the set ups at uni's,clubs and the like.compared to uk government selling off school playing fields for housing!

cost of living= I had to pay £1.51 per litre for diesel yesterday!,my mortgage is a lot more than renting in aus,food is going through the roof,fair enough but.....wages are not going up!.

governments,now,i dont know what state out there is in at the moment,but here is a disgrace.if your willing to be honest,work hard your going to get clobbered.if you want to have 12 kids,stay in bed all day,be anti social you will be looked after fine!i wasn't brought up that way.

I know this reply is going on a bit and probably doesn't make much sense but PLEASE before you make your decision have a seriouse think about it the grass isn't always greener on the other side and it definatly isn't at the moment.try and stay out there until you get your passport,then if you want to come home you can go back in the future.this is one thing im sorry I didn't do.
id go back tomorrow if I could.i currently working on my wife as she is not keen.
one final thing about the insects,snakes and spiders.....they are not really that bad.
good luck with what you decide
Brilliant....thanks, laughed out lowdeeee.

Still here for now, in a better place than in Jan, lol. still bitten, but found that drink deadens any pain, so the healing process is strong german lager, thanks for erupting this thread. made me laugh how sh1t things were 2 months ago. but bettre now, wow,.z?
Old Mar 21st 2013, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

salmonking is just really nicesalmonking is just really nicesalmonking is just really nicesalmonking is just really nicesalmonking is just really nicesalmonking is just really nicesalmonking is just really nicesalmonking is just really nice

its not for everyone mate,works for some,not for others.but now your there.....
just wish we had stuck it out a bit longer!
Old Mar 21st 2013, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

blackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by salmonking
its not for everyone mate,works for some,not for others.but now your there.....
just wish we had stuck it out a bit longer!
Cum back, have to admit, its tough as f%%k at times, costs, family, i guess its what how much you have to lose? Sticking it out, a term which outlines a prison sentance, not good. It ain't prison, just not what you are used to, not surrounded by all loved ones and things which make you feel happy. My advice, if you have a nice life in the UK, stay, if you have a sh!t life in the UK, do i need to answer? Me?
Old Mar 21st 2013, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

Cum back, have to admit, its tough as f%%k at times, costs, family, i guess its what how much you have to lose? Sticking it out, a term which outlines a prison sentance, not good. It ain't prison, just not what you are used to, not surrounded by all loved ones and things which make you feel happy. My advice, if you have a nice life in the UK, stay, if you have a sh!t life in the UK, do i need to answer? Me?
ha ha sticking it out my of been the wrong expression!! its not we don't have a nice life, we manage, I just want a better life!.also now with 2 daughters I really worry about their future in this country.thats the thing.familiar surroundings,family around us its all safe,easy if you like.oh I don't know,as I say id have to work on wifey first!
Old Mar 21st 2013, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
What's a 'true blue Aussie Battler'?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceWKrsJX9N4
Old Mar 21st 2013, 6:45 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

We moved back last year, no regrets at all. People are friendly and helpful, groceries are cheap and much more variety. Ignore most of the doom and gloom nonsense. You often find people need to leave the UK to realise it isnt that bad afterall.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 8:43 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Really? so I could just up and leave my 7 year old here?
Originally Posted by Pollyana
Main reason for staying - its taken me 10 years to fight myself back up into a good career position with a good wage - starting again as junior admin at nearly 40 was bad enough, no chance of doing it now. No qualifications, its all hard fought on the job stuff to get where I am now. If I went home I would be back at the bottom, low wage, having to watch every penny and not having the job I love - they don't have storm and cyclone watchers & planners in the UK. My best hope would be emergency planning for a council but having friends in that field back home I know I have no chance of breaking into that small field with my lack of qualifications on paper.
here at least I enjoy my work and have a reasonable lifestyle. Back home I would struggle to get either.

Come retirement age I will have a rethink.....
So in both cases it's a balancing act between heart and head and sometimes it's both the heart and head that sways the decision towards staying in Australia or the UK. To an extent it's like that for most people, myself included. I'm reasonably content to be here, sure, there's lots of things I could grumble about, things I miss, things I object to, things that are just downright annoying that "wouldn't happen at home" that make me feel like getting on the next plane. But my kids are happy and well, they're lined up nicely for great futures, so the annoying things are less important and I try not to think about them as annoying and just accept them. When I do that they somehow I can focus on the enjoyable things and get on with life. And once the kids have flown the nest and they don't need me and the mrs anymore then we'll think about what and where next ...Which sounds more or less the same as both of you

Last edited by paulry; Mar 21st 2013 at 8:45 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steen1976
I just think anyone leaving the UK because they perceive it to be broken, ruined, they are sick of it or similar are often on to a loser. Aus has as many issues as the UK. Some worse.

Coming here to get away from the UK isn't a good start.
I think Australia would benefit from having migrants coming from a broader European base. Just because Britons speak English and understand the rules of cricket does not automatically make them good migrants. It would be good to see more French, Germans, Italians etc. Many of them speak passable English anyway and would learn quickly enough. I don't think either Australia or those British migrants who fail to adapt (for whatever reason) are well served by the current over-emphasis on British migration.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
arkon - I think that if all the true blue Aussie Battlers go to the UK, then it's only fair that all the true blue UK Battlers come to Oz. Never mind, at least you'll hear familiar accents in the Tescos next door
I think some of the influx of Aussies are pretty switched on. I think a lot of true blue battlers from the UK arrive in Australia where they then go head to head with the Aussie battlers..I sometimes wonder which mob are worse...

Originally Posted by Budawang
I think Australia would benefit from having migrants coming from a broader European base. Just because Britons speak English and understand the rules of cricket does not automatically make them good migrants. It would be good to see more French, Germans, Italians etc. Many of them speak passable English anyway and would learn quickly enough. I don't think either Australia or those British migrants who fail to adapt (for whatever reason) are well served by the current over-emphasis on British migration.
I'm under the impression that we've reached a tipping point where the Brits won't come any more - they can't afford it and half can't get on.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I'm under the impression that we've reached a tipping point where the Brits won't come any more - they can't afford it and half can't get on.
Settlers in Oz in 2011/12:

16,700 UK born
406 French born
803 German born
1,622 US born
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/02key.htm

The reality is that Europeans will diminish as a % of the migrant intake and Kiwis and Asians (south, east and north) will make up a growing % of the population. As Geoffrey Blainey would say, The Tyranny Distance has shaped Australia's history and it will shape the future - neighbours will be favoured rather than long distance relatives and all that.

FWIW I grew up (in Oz) in the post war period and believe me there were huge numbers of European migrants of all nationalities with of course British predominating but in my classes at school there would always be Italians, Germans, Greeks and to a lesser extent Dutch, Yugoslavs (remember that country), Czechs, Ukrainians etc, etc. European migration has had a 50 year period and it will taper off as the intake increasingly features New Zealanders, Chinese, Indians, Vietnamese etc.

The tourist numbers show the same thing - from memory British visitors were the largest group but now I think they are 3rd behind Chinese and NZ'ers.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be good to have more Europeans, I'm just saying the reality is they won't come in increasing numbers. Surely too Europeans have had a huge impact on way of life, food and drink etc.

I was just thinking how the European nationalities (understandably) used to go to areas where friends and families were and they used to have their own football (soccer) teams etc. Different suburbs were known for different ethnic concentrations. The ethnic names for teams have been long banned but I can remember the pitched battles between Serbs and Croats, Greeks and Turks etc. I can also remember the day at Olympic Park when Israel were playing Australia and the person in charge of the PA system played the German national anthem when it came to the turn of Israel!!
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 12:07 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budawang
Settlers in Oz in 2011/12:

16,700 UK born
406 French born
803 German born
1,622 US born
And the others?
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 1:43 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
And the others?
Just what I was thinking. Missed off the 17,202 boat people Australia took in last year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.