Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gave Aldi's a try

Gave Aldi's a try

Old Apr 12th 2008, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Gave Aldi's a try

Originally Posted by Pisces
We have been here about 3 months now and decided to give Aldi's a try after getting very depressed over an ever increasing food bill.
Could not believe it. I filled the trolley up with tuna, toilet paper, dishwasher powder, fruit, several loaves of bread to freeze, pasta, tomato paste, sauces, cheese, flavoured milk, cleaning goodies, sweets, cooldrinks etc. etc. and it came to $89 the same trolley would have cost me about $120 - $150 from Wooworths.
I am sold!!
For those WA people. We changed where we shopped 2 weeks ago and saving loads.

We now shop at spud shed. Stack up on veggies, fruit and bread (using the freezer now) and then I shop for my meat on specials. I've been grabbing a couple of cooked chooks at 5.30 (half price). I even asked the lady to reduce them the other day and she did.

The meat that is reduced is normally 3/4 bucks off, sometimes more and still has three days left. I bought some discounted steaks in the weak and they had 3 days left on them. Yoghurts are the same.

I think they discount it all because they have more stock coming in and not enough shelf space.

I reckon we are saving about $50 per week perhaps more. Will be totting it all up at the end of the month.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Never bought meat from a supermarket in the UK. Not doing it here. They are good for basic groceries, nothing more.
We never buy red meat from the supermarket, not like Tesco's, Asda or Sainsbury's at all! White meat's ok though.
Definately get red meat from the butcher, and while I'm "at it" I haven't tasted a proper PORK SAUSAGE since being back!
they're all full of bloody herbs here!
Old Apr 12th 2008, 12:29 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by talbot
We never buy red meat from the supermarket, not like Tesco's, Asda or Sainsbury's at all! White meat's ok though.
Definately get red meat from the butcher, and while I'm "at it" I haven't tasted a proper PORK SAUSAGE since being back!
Must be somewhere. We have a few butchers round here that do proper pork sausages. They're obviously not as popular as beef or chicken (can't get used to them). Had some fab Pork and Leek sausages the other day
Old Apr 12th 2008, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Must be somewhere. We have a few butchers round here that do proper pork sausages. They're obviously not as popular as beef or chicken (can't get used to them). Had some fab Pork and Leek sausages the other day
I must admit, I use the local butcher more for my dog's marrow bone, than for our use!
I mUST ask for pork sausages next time!
Old Apr 12th 2008, 12:40 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by talbot
http://www.britishairways.com/travel/fx/public/en_gb
Old Apr 12th 2008, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

hahahaha, I never looked at the connection until I did it!
Thought there was a decent butcher there!!
Old Apr 12th 2008, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Burkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura about

After buying meat from a butcher I will never buy again from the supermarket.

It tastes so much better, especially mince steak and chicken.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 10:04 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe I sould have edited my first post to say we only bought sausages from Aldi's.....

My OH buys all other meat from a butchers, as previously stated by others, the quality is better and it costs a lot less.