Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gave Aldi's a try

Gave Aldi's a try

Old Apr 12th 2008, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Pisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant future
Default Gave Aldi's a try

We have been here about 3 months now and decided to give Aldi's a try after getting very depressed over an ever increasing food bill.
Could not believe it. I filled the trolley up with tuna, toilet paper, dishwasher powder, fruit, several loaves of bread to freeze, pasta, tomato paste, sauces, cheese, flavoured milk, cleaning goodies, sweets, cooldrinks etc. etc. and it came to $89 the same trolley would have cost me about $120 - $150 from Wooworths.
I am sold!!
Old Apr 12th 2008, 8:56 am
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Gave Aldi's a try

Originally Posted by Pisces
We have been here about 3 months now and decided to give Aldi's a try after getting very depressed over an ever increasing food bill.
Could not believe it. I filled the trolley up with tuna, toilet paper, dishwasher powder, fruit, several loaves of bread to freeze, pasta, tomato paste, sauces, cheese, flavoured milk, cleaning goodies, sweets, cooldrinks etc. etc. and it came to $89 the same trolley would have cost me about $120 - $150 from Wooworths.
I am sold!!
Bargains galore to be had in Aldi's, milk, bread, nappies etc. I damned if I'm going to other big supermarkets to pay over inflated prices for the same stuff!

The meats good as well!
Old Apr 12th 2008, 8:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Shhhhhhh! You'll upset the WA lot

Meat from a supermarket? yuck! Save money and your tastebuds. Get your meat from a real butcher and then your fruit and veg from a market - save even more money.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Apr 12th 2008 at 9:00 am.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 9:05 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

I used to use Aldi in the UK I hope they come to Cairns soon
Old Apr 12th 2008, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20

Meat from a supermarket? yuck! Save money and your tastebuds. Get your meat from a real butcher and then your fruit and veg from a market - save even more money.
Have you tried coles burgers from the meat counter? Yuk, hubby wouldnt even try them and I took one bite and nearly threw up! Their mince tastes really stringy too.

Boo hoo no aldi in WA
Old Apr 12th 2008, 9:46 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

So if they save $30-$50 then I could save over $100 a week if they had Aldi here.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 10:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gems
Have you tried coles burgers from the meat counter? Yuk, hubby wouldnt even try them and I took one bite and nearly threw up! Their mince tastes really stringy too.

Boo hoo no aldi in WA
Never bought meat from a supermarket in the UK. Not doing it here. They are good for basic groceries, nothing more.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Pisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant future

The butcher near us is great, amazing hamburgers and italian sausages and $5.00 for a big chicken which i think is cheaper than the supermarket. I pay $5.00 for mince and it makes 2 meals of bolognaise sauce for our family. It did feel really decadent going to butcher as I have never have, but the meat is excellant and I don't think more expensive. They also do packs of lamb pieces for $30, which is enough for about 6 meals.
I have not found a market yet for fruit and veg - I live on the upper north shore in Sydney near the pennant hills station, if anyone can help and point me in the right direction.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 10:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Found these but I don't know Sydney well enough to know if they are close by.
http://www.foxstudios.com.au/markets/farmers.asp
http://www.sydneymarkets.com.au/

Also found these guys. Didn't look at the prices though
http://www.organicfood.com.au/Conten...g-About-Us.seo
Old Apr 12th 2008, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Only for Brisbane/Gold Coast but really worth a visit

http://www.mrsflannerys.com.au/

Buy grains, dried fruit, nuts, all sorts of flour, spices etc 'loose' in paper bags for very cheap prices. It'll cost a fortune in storage jars if you don't already use them
Old Apr 12th 2008, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

I think shopping in Aus. is different to UK in that here it is cheaper to shop for everything in Asda, Tesco etc and local shops are more expensive where the opposite is the case in Aus.I'd just found that out when we moved back but intend to do that when we go back again but the other problem may be the time factor, it is so much quicker to shop in one place, load the car up and back home so that may be something for people to consider depending on how much spare time they have?
Old Apr 12th 2008, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pisces
I am sold!!
Aldi batter Coles and Woolworths. Must save 30% on an average shop.

Also for anybody in the Western suburbs (Brisbane) a new fruit and veg 'supermarket' has opened in Riverlink, Ipswich called 'Mother Nature', next door to Aldi. Best quality (and cheapest) fruit and veg plus ham, cheese etc I've found anywhere in Oz. Bit like a big deli. Top notch.

Last edited by spartacus; Apr 12th 2008 at 11:06 am.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 11:05 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

So with you MS MP
Old Apr 12th 2008, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Basty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Gems

Boo hoo no aldi in WA
No Aldi in WA - your joking!!!!
Old Apr 12th 2008, 12:06 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lesleys
Only for Brisbane/Gold Coast but really worth a visit

http://www.mrsflannerys.com.au/

Buy grains, dried fruit, nuts, all sorts of flour, spices etc 'loose' in paper bags for very cheap prices. It'll cost a fortune in storage jars if you don't already use them
thanks for that.

bookmarked for future use.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.