Fool Britannia

Old Jul 4th 2004, 3:19 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fool Britannia

Originally posted by kong
Anyway, it really suprised me that atricle. Who would have though it?? A aussies newspaper waffling on about sport and how shit the poms are. What next??? Maybe an article on how all poms want to live in oz, because over there its pure shit mate, like real cold and dear and dirty...
Poms are "shit" at sport. It is "real cold and dear and dirty" - common knowledge - no need to state the obvious.
Old Jul 4th 2004, 5:55 pm
DarrenD

This is something all migrants face.

Despite what people like Mike Stanton may say, migrants to the UK get just as much sh*t, bigoted comments, racist views etc.

This is something a migrant has to endure until theyve fitted inenough for people not to realise.

For example, some questions my wife has received coming to the UK from South Africa:
* Are you an illegal immigrant?
* Do they have pens and cars where you come from?
* Do you ALL live in mud huts ?
* Gday mate !! (my personal favourite this one)
* You all beat up black people dont you?
* Do you have school there ?
* Do you ride elephants to school ?
* I bet you feel really lucky to be living here
* And she gets the 3rd degree everytime she goes for medical care about whether she's eligible. And the doctor never does anything to help her (but im not sure if thats the same as they do for everyone else !)
There are plenty more and you could write a book on all the quotes.

Shes also faced a lot of hostile sniping, comments, bitching etc from neighbours and other parents at toddler group when im at work. The only 2 people to get any of this are her and a half indian woman.

The really funny thing is that the coloured africans say the whites should all get back on boats to where they come from.

The newspapers make exactly the same inane references to germans, french, argentinians, aussies, etc. Dont expect any different there.

Last edited by DarrenD; Jul 4th 2004 at 5:57 pm.

Old Jul 4th 2004, 7:44 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

interesting trivia for you...

When Pauline Hanson was being interviewed, the interviewer asked if she was xenophobic....and she had to ask what it meant...

Anyway...

I hate that kind of crap in the paper. It does'nt bother me, i don't really read the pap in the "opinions" sections of the papers anyway, but i don't really see the point in it. I suppose the good thing us poms can take from it, is that the UK is in the Aussie papers nearly everyday. How often do you see references to Australia in the UK papers? Its the little brother trying to get one over his big bro kind of thing.

I've never had any anti pom centiment dished out to me in person though, in fact its quite the opposite. I regularly get people asking where in the uk um from, can i tell them about good holiday spots, whats it like living in london etc.

And boys.....aussie ladies love the accent

(hope the wifes not reading this....)
Old Jul 4th 2004, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

rodmunch99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by downunderpom
The article made me chuckle. And frankly, it's a case of 'get over yourself'. Did you just register to whinge? First post a complaint.... Got anything positive to say about the country you now live in? If not, there's plenty of planes heading back to the UK.
Why be so aggressive?

As I said in my first post : "I am glad to live here and find most people I meet very friendly."

Is that not a positive statement about the country I live in ?

I was just letting a bit of Pom bashing in the media get to me and I wondered if other people felt the same.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
Got to agree with you here MM.

The bit that had me in giggles was "That stately model of journalistic integrity and rational though, The Sun, has ........."

best laugh I've had for ages.
And an even bigger laugh is that both the "Telly" and "Sun" papers are owned by Rupert Murdoch...say no more
Old Jul 5th 2004, 7:57 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by MikeStanton
And an even bigger laugh is that both the "Telly" and "Sun" papers are owned by Rupert Murdoch...say no more
Rupert Murdoch's a very jolly fellow - laughs all the way to the bank. Infectious too - even got the shareholders in stiches between deathly sober moments.

Keith Rupert Murdoch
Old Jul 5th 2004, 10:16 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by rodmunch99
Why be so aggressive?
Simple. We get a lot of 'trolls' coming on here under new user names and slagging off Oz / ExPats / people moving in either direction, and we get a little sensitive to (and fed up with) it. It's not a good idea in any forum to use your first post to complain - there's an immediate "TROLL ALERT' siren that goes off.