Fool Britannia

Old Jul 3rd 2004, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

rodmunch99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fool Britannia

I was under no illusions when we immigrated to Sydney 18 months ago about the Australian attitude towards the English. I am glad to live here and find most people I meet very friendly.

However I find the media situation different. This article in the Sydney Daily Telegraph got me a bit annoyed. Sporting issues aside, this article seems to be typical of the sledgehammer wit and bigoted attitude that is perpetuated by the media about the English. What gets me down is the fact there are a lot of people in Australia who love it when England fails at anything. (Yes, I do realise the English tabloids aren’t entirely innocent either).

My wife thinks should just get used to it. Anyway what do you lot think about this article? Am I right to be angry or should I just get over it and grow a thicker skin? (Whatever, I will not be buying that filthy rag again)
Attached Thumbnails Fool Britannia-telegraph-full.jpg  
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 10:12 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

Let them have there fun. It all stems from the fact that they still have a sense of cultural inferiority to the English. Despite constantly besting us on the sporting field the Poms still have a superiority complex that winds the Aussies up!

Old Jul 3rd 2004, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fool Britannia

Originally posted by rodmunch99
I was under no illusions when we immigrated to Sydney 18 months ago about the Australian attitude towards the English. I am glad to live here and find most people I meet very friendly.

However I find the media situation different. This article in the Sydney Daily Telegraph got me a bit annoyed. Sporting issues aside, this article seems to be typical of the sledgehammer wit and bigoted attitude that is perpetuated by the media about the English. What gets me down is the fact there are a lot of people in Australia who love it when England fails at anything. (Yes, I do realise the English tabloids aren’t entirely innocent either).

My wife thinks should just get used to it. Anyway what do you lot think about this article? Am I right to be angry or should I just get over it and grow a thicker skin? (Whatever, I will not be buying that filthy rag again)

Yeah, I think you need a thicker skin.

There is always going to be a certain schadenfreude amongst other countries when England lose, because the English media were already talking about winning it (be it Euro 2004, Wimbledon etc).

I don't think they're picking on you personally, they are picking on the English media, in this case the rags like the Sun, who quite happily build up Henman, or Beckham and then slaughter them for losing.

As the aritcle you posted said "their optimism is renewable as spring growth", so maybe Button will win the French Grand prix this afternoon!

Cheers,
JTL
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

Hi to all
Yeah! I agree with Jackthelad, we all need thicker skin.

I actually had a good laugh all the way through the article.
I like the Aussie sense of humour, even when directed at us Poms.

It's just the way they are, don't get a complex about it.

We have to accept it if we are to live there. Some of the best times I've had in Aus is when we've had parties with loads of jokes directed at brits. Just mention the Rugby World Cup. that keeps them quiet for a while.

Regards
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 11:05 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I love it, but then again I'm Scottish.
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 11:08 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Bordy
So the Aussie inferiority complex to the English is something you can relate to then?

Old Jul 3rd 2004, 11:17 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Kentish Man
So the Aussie inferiority complex to the English is something you can relate to then?

Take the monocle out so I can smack ya in the eye.

Now what's superior about a Pom except their attitude, eh?
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Bordy

Maybe so..but you'll be a pom when you get here!!
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 11:24 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by podgypossum
Maybe so..but you'll be a pom when you get here!!

I am here.
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

great..so now you're a pom!!
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 11:27 pm
The Godfather

Maybe, but I'm a Scottish Pom
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 11:32 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

No, Scorts are given the benefit of the doubt, once.
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not in my house..i was married to one once!! :scared:
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 11:41 pm
Banned

Not in my house..i was married to one once!! :scared:
Would remove lingering doubt.
Old Jul 4th 2004, 12:10 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fool Britannia

Originally posted by rodmunch99

Come on rod , its a tongue in cheek send up of what ,the fleet street. papparazi had already written. If you are to survive in this country, get a personality trans plant, other wise a thicker skin just look at what the english have been good at for centuries, Kicking the crap out of any one they felt , was a threat to them:scared: ..................... MM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.