Fool Britannia

Old Jul 4th 2004, 12:12 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Chesterton has always been a retard. A bit like Simon Barnes without the wit. Take anything he writes with a grain of salt.

Edit: England didn't lose to New Zealand where it counted. England won 3-0 in the Tests.
Old Jul 4th 2004, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fool Britannia

Originally posted by rodmunch99
My wife thinks should just get used to it. Anyway what do you lot think about this article? Am I right to be angry or should I just get over it and grow a thicker skin? (Whatever, I will not be buying that filthy rag again)
Yes, it is annoying, but your wife is right - you need to get used to it. You should have seen the coverage of the Nov'03 Rugby cup final. So f***ing childish.

BTW, the Oz Daily Telegraph wouldn't consider itself a "rag".

These comments are just Aussies' way of making themselves feel better : it keeps their cultural cringe - their own term - under control.

Usually the comments refer to sport; so who cares. But, occasionally it spreads further. In a recent edition of Quadrant - a right-wing Oz journal covering politics etc. - they attacked Germaine Greer because of her comments on Oz. Somehow they managed to turn that into 'why Oz is so much better than England'. Pathetic.

Again, listen to your wife, and start growing that thicker skin!

Last edited by MikeStanton; Jul 4th 2004 at 3:09 am.
Old Jul 4th 2004, 3:53 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Bordy
I love it, but then again I'm Scottish.
funny eh
i remember a few years ago the front page of the sun was things like......we should have finished them off during the war. and kill the huns !!!!
but hey that was just poking fun
Old Jul 4th 2004, 4:29 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Stewie
Hi to all
Yeah! I agree with Jackthelad, we all need thicker skin.

I actually had a good laugh all the way through the article.
I like the Aussie sense of humour, even when directed at us Poms.

It's just the way they are, don't get a complex about it.

We have to accept it if we are to live there. Some of the best times I've had in Aus is when we've had parties with loads of jokes directed at brits. Just mention the Rugby World Cup. that keeps them quiet for a while.

Regards
Me too, thought it was pretty funny. I've played the World Cup card once or twice with some of the Aussies at work and plan on using it again in the next 3 years or so
Old Jul 4th 2004, 5:19 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MikeStanton

Somehow they managed to turn that into 'why Oz is so much better than England'. Pathetic.
Dont you just hate when that happens
Old Jul 4th 2004, 7:11 am
kong

Ah yes the "cultural cringe". The Aussies have a real chip on their collective shoulders over their colonial past.. They like to lord it over all countries, but especially England. I guess they hate the fact that we thought so little of their country that we sent all the scum we had over there. Nowadays however scumbags like WBB pay the rednecks at DIMIA for the privilage of being at the arse end of oblivion.

Being a POM in Aus maens being treated with the contempt that is also directed at aboriginals. The average Aussie feels that their country is too good for either of these wingers to inhabit.

Old Jul 4th 2004, 7:36 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by kong
The average Aussie feels that their country is too good for either of these wingers to inhabit.
How does the non average Aussie feel?
Old Jul 4th 2004, 7:38 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by seang
How does the non average Aussie feel?

He feels ok, I spoke to him this weekend.
Old Jul 4th 2004, 7:39 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Bordy
He feels ok, I spoke to him this weekend.
is there anyone u dont know
Old Jul 4th 2004, 12:34 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Yes, it is annoying, but your wife is right - you need to get used to it. You should have seen the coverage of the Nov'03 Rugby cup final. So f***ing childish.

BTW, the Oz Daily Telegraph wouldn't consider itself a "rag".

These comments are just Aussies' way of making themselves feel better : it keeps their cultural cringe - their own term - under control.

Usually the comments refer to sport; so who cares. But, occasionally it spreads further. In a recent edition of Quadrant - a right-wing Oz journal covering politics etc. - they attacked Germaine Greer because of her comments on Oz. Somehow they managed to turn that into 'why Oz is so much better than England'. Pathetic.

Again, listen to your wife, and start growing that thicker skin!
Daily Telegraph - a rag to entertain the empty brain on the commuter train then in the bin.

Cultural cringe - stuned amazement at the narrow mindedness of Pom cultural self-righteousness.

Germain Greer - Mummy, Mummy - misdirected Oedipus complex?
Old Jul 4th 2004, 12:45 pm
kong

Originally posted by Megalania
Daily Telegraph - a rag to entertain the empty brain on the commuter train then in the bin.

Cultural cringe - stuned amazement at the narrow mindedness of Pom cultural self-righteousness.

Anyway, it really suprised me that atricle. Who would have though it?? A aussies newspaper waffling on about sport and how shit the poms are. What next??? Maybe an article on how all poms want to live in oz, because over there its pure shit mate, like real cold and dear and dirty...

Old Jul 4th 2004, 12:51 pm
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

Originally posted by Megalania

Freudian slip

jib
Old Jul 4th 2004, 1:24 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahh a Telegraph journo sarcastically praising the Sun.

The Tele is for those not bright enough for the big words in the Herald.
Old Jul 4th 2004, 1:58 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

The article made me chuckle. And frankly, it's a case of 'get over yourself'. Did you just register to whinge? First post a complaint.... Got anything positive to say about the country you now live in? If not, there's plenty of planes heading back to the UK.
Old Jul 4th 2004, 2:39 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mr mover
Come on rod , its a tongue in cheek send up of what ,the fleet street. papparazi had already written.

Got to agree with you here MM.

The bit that had me in giggles was "That stately model of journalistic integrity and rational though, The Sun, has ........."

best laugh I've had for ages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.