Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

FLYING WITH SINGAPORE A380

FLYING WITH SINGAPORE A380

Old Apr 5th 2008, 7:29 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FLYING WITH SINGAPORE A380

Originally Posted by Seasider
Wow, haven't met anybody outside of Asia that's been to Sulawesi! You must be divers? We stayed on a lovely little island off Sulawesi called Gangga a few years ago - totally away from it all - and my husband did his PADI there with only him in the "class". FAB.
Ha ha - yes we are divers! And the diving up there is AWSOME! We flew into Manado and then went over to Lembeh for a week, then to the other side (west) to dive Bunaken and Bangka - quality stuff! I love Indo, and just about every other part of asia I've been to!

By the way, bloomin' expensive beer in Singapore!

Graham
Old Apr 5th 2008, 9:04 am
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
How are you going to ensure you get on the upper deck? Unless you are flying BC of course.

For my sins, it seems we are booked on it again. (Yes I know I was very excited last time before the event, but I honestly thought the seats were uncomfortable.)

edit: BTW when we flew it the other week SIN-SYD it was our steward's first trip on one.
The back 3rd of upper deck is economy class too apparantly, the middle is business and front 1st class. i think that bout right.

You can pre book your flights so enabling you to get the seats you want we want upper deck too.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 11:38 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katsmajics other half !!!
The back 3rd of upper deck is economy class too apparantly, the middle is business and front 1st class. i think that bout right.

You can pre book your flights so enabling you to get the seats you want we want upper deck too.
Yes it is, you're right, but you can only choose your seats online after you have booked. Was being a bit flippant really but I meant, what if you book and there are no upper deck seats available?

BTW my friend travelled SIN-SYD on the upper deck and said he thought it was more bumpy than usual.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 3:18 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katsmajics other half !!!
Yes we were on the upper deck at the very back - and I can assure you it was economy! Business class looked very nice though - hoooge leather seats
Old Apr 6th 2008, 7:41 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>> BTW my friend travelled SIN-SYD on the upper deck and said he thought it was more bumpy than usual.<<

The bigger the airplane the more flexible it has to be, and for a given level of turbulence a biggie will bounce around more in some modes.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 7:44 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

My trip was pretty bumpy and I was on the lower deck, so that may be true although I have had some pretty bumpy rides to/from Oz anyway. Incredibly smooth landing, though.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:18 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
>> BTW my friend travelled SIN-SYD on the upper deck and said he thought it was more bumpy than usual.<<

The bigger the airplane the more flexible it has to be, and for a given level of turbulence a biggie will bounce around more in some modes.
Not true, a cessna will move about more in turbulent air than a Jumbo for example; large airfames are more stable because of their inertia. There are many factors that give a smooth ride, wing loading, your proximity to the aircrafts CG and the way the airplane is trimmed are just 3 examples.

Last edited by ex_exile; Apr 6th 2008 at 9:57 am.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:56 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex_exile
Not true, a cessna will move about more in turbulent air than a Jumbo for example; large airfames are more stable because of their momementum. There are many factors that give a smooth ride, wing loading, your proximity to the aircrafts CG and the way the airplane is trimmed are just 3 examples.
All too complicated for me. Bigger airplanes are more stable but flex more. If they didn't, they'd snap.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

laguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura about

I flew in the A380 (upper deck) about 3 weeks ago on my return trip from singapore to heathrow. It actually takes 850 passengers but I heard there were only about 500 passengers on it that day. Once it's in the air it's like any other plane, although I did feel it would never get off the ground due to it's weight. The seat width and legroom, in my opnion, exceeded that of the 747 and the seating layout was more generous. There also was extra room for storing items next to the window seats. My entertainment system packed up soon into the flight and had to be re-set by the stewardess. I noticed usb and ethernet connections on each seat but I dont think these were operational yet. To be honest, it doesnt matter which plane you fly in, it's the actual length of the journey that is most challenging and not one I want to repeat too soon!
Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:00 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

>>To be honest, it doesnt matter which plane you fly in, it's the actual length of the journey that is most challenging and not one I want to repeat too soon!<<

You could shorten the time slightly on an airplane that big by choosing a seat at the back and walking to sit at the front by the time it lands?

Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

inOz2008 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol
>>To be honest, it doesnt matter which plane you fly in, it's the actual length of the journey that is most challenging and not one I want to repeat too soon!<<

You could shorten the time slightly on an airplane that big by choosing a seat at the back and walking to sit at the front by the time it lands?

Running would get you there sooner, thus shortening the journey even further!!
Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:13 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by inOz2008
Running would get you there sooner, thus shortening the journey even further!!
No, I think you have to walk at such a speed that if you start at takeoff you arrive at the pointy end just before landing.

The speed of a Qantas stewardess would be just about right.

Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

laguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura about

Actually it didnt appear that big compared to the 747, I still think the 747 stands taller and possibly the same length. I think they need a gym, sauna, swimming pool to pass the hours, although not sure about the swimming pool because we had tons of turbulence.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 10:11 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by laguna33p
Actually it didnt appear that big compared to the 747, I still think the 747 stands taller and possibly the same length. I think they need a gym, sauna, swimming pool to pass the hours, although not sure about the swimming pool because we had tons of turbulence.
But they could combine it with the 9 hole golf course and use it as a water-drive hole.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 10:30 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laguna33p
I flew in the A380 (upper deck) about 3 weeks ago on my return trip from singapore to heathrow. It actually takes 850 passengers but I heard there were only about 500 passengers on it that day. Once it's in the air it's like any other plane, although I did feel it would never get off the ground due to it's weight. The seat width and legroom, in my opnion, exceeded that of the 747 and the seating layout was more generous. There also was extra room for storing items next to the window seats. My entertainment system packed up soon into the flight and had to be re-set by the stewardess. I noticed usb and ethernet connections on each seat but I dont think these were operational yet. To be honest, it doesnt matter which plane you fly in, it's the actual length of the journey that is most challenging and not one I want to repeat too soon!
No it doesn't take 850 passengers....it maybe could if every seat was an economy seat, but the Suites & business class take up stacks of floorspace. The Singapore Airlines A380 has 471 seats in total, so it must have been full the day you flew on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.