Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flights back to UK - Price jump 30% in one day

Flights back to UK - Price jump 30% in one day

Old Mar 2nd 2013, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights back to UK - Price jump 30% in one day

I wouldn't fly via Bangkok as the airport isn't bril. Try Cathy Pacific via HK too
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 11:53 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
I wouldn't fly via Bangkok as the airport isn't bril.
What's wrong with it?
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Or fly into KUL (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia) or SIN (Singapore) and then pick up an Emirates flight; might work out cheaper and then you may get your Dubai to Glasgow connection

The price rises are how the airline world works and the cheaper the ticket the less flexible it is and those prices were all the Early Bird Sales to Europe which have to be booked & ticketted by early March
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bcworld
What's wrong with it?
Dont know Someone else has been posting on my account Wonder who that was

I cant comment on Bangkok
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 4:09 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
Dont know Someone else has been posting on my account Wonder who that was

I cant comment on Bangkok
have your kids hacked your account.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 5:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Try looking on Expedia as well. I was looking at multicity flights from Perth to Prague then Budapest to Perth. Looking at the emirates website the price is - get this - $13000! Yes, $13000. On Expedia, the exact same flights were $2130. Singapore was a little better at only $8700 on their website and $2400 through Expedia. Think I'll be speaking to my travel agent as well to see what he can find.
You still speak to travel agents? It's 2013.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Margaret3
have your kids hacked your account.
No just someone who would not like me going to Bangkok
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 6:12 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
You still speak to travel agents? It's 2013.
Well I guess it can have some merit. Airlines excel at bad IT...that's why Dorothy was seeing those fares - they weren't the cheapest available, just what the website came up with - phoning Emirates or Singapore Airlines probably would've got a better result. Clearly Zuji etc are often able to do a better job with the available fare classes - perhaps a TA could do the same on an even smaller margin?
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
The price flying London>Oz should be the same as the price flying Oz>London, taking into account exchange rates and taxes. The costs are the same, everything it priced internationally, there is no justification for a difference (other than the airlines being allowed to get away with it).
Disagree. If, for example, reverse airfares did roughly match at 2% of an average salary in each country and then the currency exchange nose dived in one of the countries they happened to fly to...why should they reduce the airfares in the country whose currency didn't collapse to 1% of average salary and leave them at 2% in the country that did collapse just because of exchange rate changes. Why should the collapse of one particular foreign currency make airfares super cheap in the economy that didn't have a currency collapse. Should every country flying into the UK suddenly reduce their airfares to super cheap when the pound dropped. And raise them when the Yen strengthened, and drop them again against the RMB and raise them again against....
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 9:25 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Well I guess it can have some merit. Airlines excel at bad IT...that's why Dorothy was seeing those fares - they weren't the cheapest available, just what the website came up with - phoning Emirates or Singapore Airlines probably would've got a better result. Clearly Zuji etc are often able to do a better job with the available fare classes - perhaps a TA could do the same on an even smaller margin?
There's also the added benefit of the TA dealing with any problems that crop up with the holiday. For example, when my dad was dying I was due to fly home on JAL from Perth to Tokyo-Tokyo to Detroit then commuter flight from Detroit to Toronto. 3 days before I was due to fly out the commuter airline decided that they were not going to be flying the DTW-YYZ route anymore, which would have left me stranded. The travel agent not only managed to get me new flights (with QANTAS), but I ended up saving money. I'm not sure what strings he pulled either, but all the way from PER to YYZ I was offered an entire row of seats to myself. Same coming home, except the LAX-SYD leg, where there was an empty seat between me and my rowmate. The rest of the flight was full.

If I can get the same price as what I can find online through my agent then why wouldn't I? It keeps someone in a job and I have the added benefit of someone to take care of issues should they arise.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 10:27 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Try Tiger, Scoot or Jetstar to SIN and then a European airline (KLM, Lufthansa etc) to Glasgow via a European city. One more stop but at least you would not have to go through LHR.
Ok, I've just done this. The best prices I could find PER-TXL, BUD-PER was $2072. However, by looking at Jetstar to Singapore and Luftansa for the rest of the flights the total cost was $1256. Even with paying extra for baggage allowance on Jetstar I still save $750!

Thanks for that.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by LeeWillo
I found Qantas and Emirates similar in price, but Qantas (also Virgin Australia) don't seem to fly direct, they go to other Australian airports first. Thanks for your help guys, I'll have to keep researching. It is just so frustrating when found what I want and was a bit of a shock to see it change so drastically. I expected may fluctuate by maybe up to $200 in total but not that much. I've done 20 flights over the last 12 months, and not seen a change like that.
managed to get flights for $3777 flying malaysia to london. pretty good deal me thinks
Old Mar 4th 2013, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by GarryP
The price flying London>Oz should be the same as the price flying Oz>London, taking into account exchange rates and taxes. The costs are the same, everything it priced internationally, there is no justification for a difference (other than the airlines being allowed to get away with it).
here here someone talking sense at last:
Old Mar 4th 2013, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Disagree. If, for example, reverse airfares did roughly match at 2% of an average salary in each country and then the currency exchange nose dived in one of the countries they happened to fly to...why should they reduce the airfares in the country whose currency didn't collapse to 1% of average salary and leave them at 2% in the country that did collapse just because of exchange rate changes. Why should the collapse of one particular foreign currency make airfares super cheap in the economy that didn't have a currency collapse. Should every country flying into the UK suddenly reduce their airfares to super cheap when the pound dropped. And raise them when the Yen strengthened, and drop them again against the RMB and raise them again against....
Or another way of looking at it. UK to Ethiopia.

Can't imagine the Ethiopians are going to be able to afford to pay the same price as the Brits would for the same trip. Therefore to avoid empty flights back to the UK the airlines would have to price the flights in accordance with what Ethiopians can afford.

Software companies do it all the time. Is iTunes going to charge the same price in the US as they would in India to download a tune ..... or better put are Apple going to reduce the US price to that of the Indian price. .... unlikely. Are Apple going to try and sell tunes in India - of course there are a billion of them.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 3:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by raven
managed to get flights for $3777 flying malaysia to london. pretty good deal me thinks
I hope that's not for one of you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.