Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flights back to UK - Price jump 30% in one day

Flights back to UK - Price jump 30% in one day

Old Mar 1st 2013, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights back to UK - Price jump 30% in one day

Originally Posted by bcworld
The increase is because the sale ended yesterday. Nothing to do with supply & demand. Surely it's not difficult to understand that when a sale ends the price goes up?
Except my flights were not at *sale* prices in the first place. They were not and never have been included in the Emirates promotion to which you are referring.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

The increase is because the sale ended yesterday. Nothing to do with supply & demand. Surely it's not difficult to understand that when a sale ends the price goes up?
oh my god do you work for the airlines or something. i was not even aware there was a sale on i i check prices every day. So how do you justify the amount a Assie has to pay as opposed to a pom for the same flight only setting off frm different directions
Old Mar 1st 2013, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

Originally Posted by tictac
Same experience here.

The cynic I have become leads me to believe it's more to do with the Qantas tie-up than any supposed supply & demand factors. i.e rip off Australia.
I thought that it was to do with the merger at first, but then when went back looking elsewhere, all of the major airline prices had gone up similarly. If you're on it and ready to book right now, try what we did and book through the US website we used. It is still yesterday there but won't be for much longer. Not sure if supposed to put links in so sorry if I'm doing something wrong but it was www.cheapoair.com. I don't want to be liable if it doesn't work out for others but this all seems to be good for us and we have logged in with emirates and picked seats and all that.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:12 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raven
oh my god do you work for the airlines or something. i was not even aware there was a sale on i i check prices every day. So how do you justify the amount a Assie has to pay as opposed to a pom for the same flight only setting off frm different directions
No I don't work for an airline...and I don't know anyone that does. I'm not getting into a further discussion about air fares...been there, done that, got the Groundhog Day t shirt.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raven
Higher salaries would play a part. Using the exchange rate to compare isn't an accurate comparison of cost as it ignores wages.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

No I don't work for an airline...and I don't know anyone that does. I'm not getting into a further discussion about air fares...been there, done that, got the Groundhog Day t shirt.
Can I ask,when did the sale end.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice

When is the best time to book generally to get the better fares? As soon as they are released or to hang on and wait? Looking for flights back to Uk in April 2014 so do i try this May?
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lois1
When is the best time to book generally to get the better fares? As soon as they are released or to hang on and wait? Looking for flights back to Uk in April 2014 so do i try this May?
You just have to keep checking prices, do it over a period of months. I am thinking of going back for a trip in September so I will start checking frequently from now.

You need to understand what is a good price and when you see something that is good value in your mind then book it right there and then. Prices go up and down all the time, it isn't at all the case that you will get the best price in May.

I saw a Cathay flight last week that was acceptable to me, but it has gone up by $2k this week. I couldn't book last week as not sorted out time off work and was not 100pc decided on trip.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Mar 2nd 2013 at 2:15 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 2:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeeWillo
raven you are totally right, the flight we have luckily just booked if it was reversed as in a return flight to adelaide from manchester yesterday was £1400 (about $2200), where the same flight but from adelaide to manchester was $3600. It is a complete rip off. I don't know how they can justify it!

Today they have both gone up, but still the UK return to Oz is £2200 ($3300) and the Oz return to UK is $4500.
It is completely illogical to compare prices based on current AUD:GBP exchange rates. To do so, suggests that you think UK based travellers should pay more because the pound has weakened against the Aussie dollar which is absurd.

A GBP2200 flight from UK is entirely comparable with a $4500 flight from Australia because the purchasing power of a GBP is about 2x a AUD.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 3:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I saw some QF flights in from Sydney to London for late June a month ago for 3500 and last week they were 2100. So yes the airlines can bring them down. There were also a QF sale round the world in June july for 2500.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 4:21 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
It is completely illogical to compare prices based on current AUD:GBP exchange rates. To do so, suggests that you think UK based travellers should pay more because the pound has weakened against the Aussie dollar which is absurd.
Sorry, but it's completely LOGICAL to compare prices based on exchange rates. Airlines are international entities, pricing on the international market. Prices rise and fall with the changes in exchange rates - or at least they should. As it is they seem to rise, but not fall - which is why Australian prices are so over the top.

It's not UK travellers that should pay even more, but Aussie travellers who should much less
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 4:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
Sorry, but it's completely LOGICAL to compare prices based on exchange rates. Airlines are international entities, pricing on the international market. Prices rise and fall with the changes in exchange rates - or at least they should. As it is they seem to rise, but not fall - which is why Australian prices are so over the top.

It's not UK travellers that should pay even more, but Aussie travellers who should much less
Can you please explain to me why the price of a flight between two places should rise and fall with exchange rates? I cannot see the logic, perhaps you can help me out.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 4:46 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Can you please explain to me why the price of a flight between two places should rise and fall with exchange rates? I cannot see the logic, perhaps you can help me out.
...and which currency the prices should be normalised against?

Last edited by bcworld; Mar 2nd 2013 at 4:55 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 4:51 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

The price flying London>Oz should be the same as the price flying Oz>London, taking into account exchange rates and taxes. The costs are the same, everything it priced internationally, there is no justification for a difference (other than the airlines being allowed to get away with it).
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

zultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GarryP
The price flying London>Oz should be the same as the price flying Oz>London, taking into account exchange rates and taxes. The costs are the same, everything it priced internationally, there is no justification for a difference (other than the airlines being allowed to get away with it).
Get real: a return ticket from Bath to London on the train is more expensive than a return ticket to Bath from London. The pricing has nothing to do with 'rip off' airlines or Australia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.