Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Financially better off?

Wikiposts

Financially better off?

Old Sep 22nd 2009, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Financially better off?

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
I do wonder though what the UK is going to offer our kids in the future. Every day there is doom and gloom about what's going to happen. £2 billion is being taken off the schools budget and a 3p hike in tax is being rumoured - and this is just for starters. All parties are agreed that there are to be very significant cuts in public services and tax increases seem inevitable. Thinking ahead very long term, does it look as though things are going to be as dire in Australia as here?
The UK has $9 trillion external debt - nearly as big as the US. Australia has $700 billion. Britain's debt is in fact nearly 100% of its GDP. Britain doe snot have the means to pay back its debt. Its two options are make it disappear with inflation/devaluation, or debt default.

You do the maths about which country is better placed for the future - they're not talking about debt default in Australia.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 12:59 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hereandthere
The UK has $9 trillion external debt - nearly as big as the US. Australia has $700 billion. Britain's debt is in fact nearly 100% of its GDP. Britain doe snot have the means to pay back its debt. Its two options are make it disappear with inflation/devaluation, or debt default.

You do the maths about which country is better placed for the future - they're not talking about debt default in Australia.
$9 trillion are you sure?
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:00 pm
ABCDiamond

This is Australia's Net Debt to GDP ratio:

The UK figure for the same thing is the right hand side one of this graph:

Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:03 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
$9 trillion are you sure?
According to the Office of National Statistics, at the end of last year, 2008, UK gross external debt stood at ₤6.4 trillion.

When doing comparisons sometimes Gross and Net are looked at. I think the net figure is the most realistic one.

Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

$9 USD I think read somewhere, LF. Which would be about 5 or 6 trillion sterling. Either way it's never getting paid off so does it matter?
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:14 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

$9 USD I think read somewhere, LF. Which would be about 5 or 6 trillion sterling. Either way it's never getting paid off so does it matter?

Just curious. Would also be interested to know what percentage of Australia's economy comes from digging stuff out of the ground and selling it overseas. I suspect it is high.

Last edited by Lord_Farquar; Sep 22nd 2009 at 1:18 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just curious.
No worries. On this - how thehell does a country the size of Britain get an American-sized debt? It is going to hurt adjusting that economy, for sure. I read in the Telegraph the other day about leaked Labour plans to raise income tax 3%. Alreayd spending is being cut - 3000 teachers are on their way to the dole queue for a start, which should improve class sizes no end. What a nightmare.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:19 pm
Banned

No worries. On this - how thehell does a country the size of Britain get an American-sized debt? It is going to hurt adjusting that economy, for sure. I read in the Telegraph the other day about leaked Labour plans to raise income tax 3%. Alreayd spending is being cut - 3000 teachers are on their way to the dole queue for a start, which should improve class sizes no end. What a nightmare.
Conversely if Australia's economy is so good. Why are we paying so much tax??
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just curious. Would also be interested to know what percentage of Australia's economy comes from digging stuff out of the ground and selling it overseas. I suspect it is high.
I think a large amount is services-based now, but of course resource sector is large. Good job so many emerging nations in Asia need the resources, really.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Is it that much higher - what's the top rate 47%? UK is 50% from January don't forget. Plus insane taxation on fuel. The economic arguments are so complicated it's impossible to make sense of them - too many variables. But one simple thing I believe - Aus will have a higher standard of living than UK over the next 15 - 25 years at least. Maybe for ever.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:33 pm
ABCDiamond

It would be better if tax rates were reduced to UK rates, but then they may increase the Medicare deduction from 1.5% to UK rates...

When you add the two together, the current figures are:

UK median UK Male Full time earnings
23.9% : Deductions as a percentage:

Australia average Australian Male Full time earnings
23.7% : Deductions as a percentage

Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:35 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It would be better if tax rates were reduced to UK rates, but then they may increase the Medicare deduction from 1.5% to UK rates...

When you add the two together, the current figures are:

UK median UK Male Full time earnings
23.9% : Deductions as a percentage:

Australia average Australian Male Full time earnings
23.7% : Deductions as a percentage
I wasn't actually comparing with the UK.

I would prefer a UAE tax rate.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:38 pm
ABCDiamond

I wasn't actually comparing with the UK.

I would prefer a UAE tax rate.
Well, yes, that would be good

Although aren't they also now considering implementing a personal tax system ?

Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:40 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Well, yes, that would be good

Although aren't they also now considering implementing a personal tax system ?
I hope not. I would like to work there.

Maybe we could have Singapore's tax rates instead.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 4:25 pm
Username change - was "Manc_in_Adelaide"

Danny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really nice

Originally Posted by ezzie
Everyone has focussed on the fact that Australia just skimmed the 'technical recession' markers. However, it did this through massive gov't spending which has not been reported in the media here.).
Which has not been reported in the media here ?

Have you been hiding under a rock for the past few months ? It was absolutely hammered home for weeks by the scaremongering Liberals, even though I think it was pointed out it would be one of the lowest debts in the OECD.