Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Financially better off?

Wikiposts

Financially better off?

Old Sep 19th 2009, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Financially better off?

Originally Posted by Johnny DT
I am looking to move to Perth.

My salary in the UK (£40k) is about double the national average. In Australia someone in my job would earn $120k - $150k, which I understand is about double the national average. This would therefore suggest that I'm not better off. However if I earn £40k in the Uk, but earn £65k in Oz ($130,000), and the cost of living is about the same, then suggests that I should be better off.....

I know it's not simple, but broadly speaking based on the above am I going to be better off financially?
STAY THERE COZ YOUR GREEDY.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by framac67
STAY THERE COZ YOUR GREEDY.

How do you work that out ?

I think the OP has the right priorities personally. Are you saying that you wouldnt move to California if the main reason for going was a much better financial outcome ?
Old Sep 19th 2009, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant future

We earn about half what we did in the uk, but thats because we worked twice as hard over there.
BUT I would say I was better off financially here and Im much happier strange eh
Old Sep 19th 2009, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
The more Gas Fields they find here, the more likely you'll be able to afford that London house Seems to do the Exchange rate a power of good

Reckon I could handle this place myself though Badge

180ft of Grand Union Canal Frontage.... now affordable.

http://www.homes24.co.uk/doc.html?_a=view&id=1059002
That's a great little house mate. The sort of thing I would consider.

Looking at the unit value, that's twice my current mortgage, on half the salary - taking into account London salary. 4x times as expensive. I'm not even looking at exchange rates here..as you know I don't touch them.

The thing is I would want to be closer to London. It's 80k where as here we are 40k away, and I would prefer more of a semi-rural life.

I've long realised that we really have a sweet spot here.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 3:58 pm
Username change - was "Manc_in_Adelaide"

Danny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really nice

I think the OP has the right priorities personally.
Rubbish.

Its about balance and quality of life AND the chance to improve the quality of life of your kids. Money is only a part of it.

I can't beleive how many money-orientated people are posting on here ?

We are talking about changing your entire life for the better, yet people on here are on about staying put to earn a better crust so they can retire a few years early? Have we taken leave of our senses, or are people not experiencing what Australia has to offer ?

If you think you would enjoy Australia for what it has to offer, and you have the chance to move, then grasp it with both hands. The quality of life is much greater as long as you embrace it.

If you just wanna count beans but retire in your 50's with your London lifestyle then good for you, but if that means another 'how ever many years' stuck in the UK, then who's the winner there ?

I earn less than I did in the UK, and my mortgage is a lot bigger, but the life doesn't compare and I know my kid(s) will grow up in a much healthier and safer environment.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc_in_Adelaide
Rubbish.

Its about balance and quality of life AND the chance to improve the quality of life of your kids. Money is only a part of it.

I can't beleive how many money-orientated people are posting on here ?

We are talking about changing your entire life for the better, yet people on here are on about staying put to earn a better crust so they can retire a few years early? Have we taken leave of our senses, or are people not experiencing what Australia has to offer ?

If you think you would enjoy Australia for what it has to offer, and you have the chance to move, then grasp it with both hands. The quality of life is much greater as long as you embrace it.

If you just wanna count beans but retire in your 50's with your London lifestyle then good for you, but if that means another 'how ever many years' stuck in the UK, then who's the winner there ?

I earn less than I did in the UK, and my mortgage is a lot bigger, but the life doesn't compare and I know my kid(s) will grow up in a much healthier and safer environment.
I dont agree that the quality of life is greater, just different.

We've had 4 kids born raised and educated here, looks like two of my Aussie kids are going to choose the UK, as for them at present that offers them a greater quality of life. Especially if part of that quality involves more money and opportunity to enjoy ones free time. One has already been there over 4 years.

If you enjoy travelling overseas and seeing different cultures, see how Australia will affect that quality for most migrants for starters.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 20th 2009 at 5:01 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 7:06 pm

Danny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really nice

If you enjoy travelling overseas and seeing different cultures, see how Australia will affect that quality for most migrants for starters.
Eh ?
Old Sep 20th 2009, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Manc_in_Adelaide
Eh ?
No easy weekends away to foreign capitals. Thats a huge hole in my wants in life. People started to travel to the US for long weekends after I left.

My Daughter has been to at least 5 or 6 foreign Cities this year.... Only managed to get overseas twice in the 20 years she lived in Aus.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 9:02 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

No easy weekends away to foreign capitals. Thats a huge hole in my wants in life. People started to travel to the US for long weekends after I left.

My Daughter has been to at least 5 or 6 foreign Cities this year.... Only managed to get overseas twice in the 20 years she lived in Aus.
Lived in Bristol for a few years before moving out to Oz and on three or four occasions travelled down to Bristol airport on a Friday afternoon, caught the flight to Dublin, night out in another country, flight back at 5am Saturday morning. Total flight cost used to be about 25 quid. You won't get that in Oz.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant future

Just got flights to Kl for $150 return, we are looking at flights to singapore for $200 return and you can get to bali for the same sort of money.
Granted this is from Perth.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chrisandvee
Just got flights to Kl for $150 return, we are looking at flights to singapore for $200 return and you can get to bali for the same sort of money.
Granted this is from Perth.
Bali is 'orribly expensive from Melbourne. Will admit KL is pretty good though, thats only been a recent possiblity.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 9:34 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Bali is 'orribly expensive from Melbourne.
Not so much the expense as the distance.....you could be in New York from The UK in the same time and probably cheaper.

G
Old Sep 20th 2009, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Grayling
Not so much the expense as the distance.....you could be in New York from The UK in the same time and probably cheaper.

G

Was just about to add that.... NY 7 hours from London tops.... KL 8 Hours+ from Melbourne.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 9:38 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Was just about to add that.... NY 7 hours from London tops.... KL 8 Hours+ from Melbourne.
I flew back from NY once in under 5 hours...to London.....with a tailwind

Used to go fairly regularly to the East coast....used to only cost around £200 from London or Manchester.

G
Old Sep 20th 2009, 10:00 pm

No easy weekends away to foreign capitals. Thats a huge hole in my wants in life.
So in all seriousness, because you can't nip over to Europe in an hour or so, thats a reason not to emigrate, not to change your life for the better?

Europe on your doorstep is impressive, but is it worth not emigrating for, not improving your everyday life for ? And realistically, its a snapshot of another culture. Its not real exposure, but it satisfies the tourists amongst us who enjoy ticking boxes off lists. Done that tick, seen that tick etc etc.

Don't get me wrong, Ive done the Euro-breaks like most other people, but as I said earlier its about balance, and the overall quality of your life needs to be the winner.

Australia is miles from anywhere like Europe, but at the same time what you can do an hour from where most people live is fantastic, and with a guaranteed climate, every weekend can be like a mini holiday.

I still say that those of us who embrace what Australia has to offer will love it, and those that perhaps don't embrace, or who are more indoors orientated will maybe not find it as appealing.

For me, beach walks, surf culture, great food and wineries and the warm climate win hands down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.