Financially better off?

Wikiposts

Financially better off?

Old Sep 17th 2009, 5:09 am
Just Joined

Johnny DT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Financially better off?

I am looking to move to Perth.

My salary in the UK (£40k) is about double the national average. In Australia someone in my job would earn $120k - $150k, which I understand is about double the national average. This would therefore suggest that I'm not better off. However if I earn £40k in the Uk, but earn £65k in Oz ($130,000), and the cost of living is about the same, then suggests that I should be better off.....

I know it's not simple, but broadly speaking based on the above am I going to be better off financially?
Old Sep 17th 2009, 5:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Financially better off?

Originally Posted by Johnny DT

My salary in the UK (£40k) is about double the national average. In Australia someone in my job would earn $120k - $150k, which I understand is about double the national average. This would therefore suggest that I'm not better off. However if I earn £40k in the Uk, but earn £65k in Oz ($130,000), and the cost of living is about the same, then suggests that I should be better off.....

I know it's not simple, but broadly speaking based on the above am I going to be better off financially?
So you're saying that whichever country you are in you expect to be earning doublethe national average? In my experience you will end up spending at least the same percentage of your wage on living expenses, if not more, so I would expect you to probably end up on about the same standard of living.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

It amazes me that deciding to move countries has to be about wages (for some), surely its about a change of scenery and quality of life? weather etc?

each to their own, but I for one dont let this enter my head, as long as I have enough to pay my bills & have food, il be very grateful

Bluekipper
Old Sep 17th 2009, 6:47 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnny DT

According to the national statistics people, the median wage for a male in the U.K is actually £27,092 so your salary is not double.
The average Australian wage for a male is $69,997.

Will you be the sole earner?
Old Sep 17th 2009, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kapri
The average Australian wage for a male is $69,997.

You would think they would throw in the extra $3 and call it an even $70 k wouldn't you?
Old Sep 17th 2009, 9:13 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bluekipper
It amazes me that deciding to move countries has to be about wages (for some), surely its about a change of scenery and quality of life? weather etc?

each to their own, but I for one dont let this enter my head, as long as I have enough to pay my bills & have food, il be very grateful

Bluekipper
All the scenery and weather in the world won't make a difference if you don't have a pot to piss in. If you have a family in tow then your potential earnings have to be right up there as one of the first things to think about.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

arh well the $50000 I have been offered means I have not got a pot to piss in and i am way below the average
How do families survive on this kind of salary in oz if its less than average?
Old Sep 17th 2009, 9:41 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by garyp
arh well the $50000 I have been offered means I have not got a pot to piss in and i am way below the average
They "do it tough" in true Australian fashion. $50k a year will be hard work.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
They "do it tough" in true Australian fashion. $50k a year will be hard work.

It will be tough, you will if you have children get some help from centrelink but Australia is an expensive country, make no mistake living on $50K with a family will not be easy, no free medical care, no free dental care, no free presciptions for children under 16 and the cost food is expensive. We did it for a year on slightly less than $50K with a family of 4 and it was depressing how little we had left over each week.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 10:37 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by macy
It will be tough, you will if you have children get some help from centrelink but Australia is an expensive country, make no mistake living on $50K with a family will not be easy, no free medical care, no free dental care, no free presciptions for children under 16 and the cost food is expensive. We did it for a year on slightly less than $50K with a family of 4 and it was depressing how little we had left over each week.
I'm not sure it's right to say that there's no free medical care. I've had loads of 'free' medical care here. Also, I would have also thought that someone on $50k with kids would have had access to a Health Card which gives access to free dental for kids.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 10:38 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by garyp
The extra FTB they/we get

Old Sep 17th 2009, 10:42 am
Account Closed

I did read a few years ago during Peter Costello's reign (God Bless Him ) that someone on $40k with a 2 kid family would effectively be paying no tax as the benefits would be equal to the tax paid. I suspect with the increases in LITO that this figure is now higher.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 10:45 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by macy
no free medical care I disagree
no free dental care I disagree *
no free presciptions for children under 16 I agree
the cost food is expensive I disagree

* Note: School children do get some free dental services; the school dental vans, the free annual check up for teenagers.
However, most of it is paid for, unlike the free dental service for everyone in the UK.

I agree that a family of 4 on only about 70% of the average male wage would find it tough, probably in either country.

Old Sep 17th 2009, 10:50 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I did read a few years ago during Peter Costello's reign (God Bless Him ) that someone on $40k with a 2 kid family would effectively be paying no tax as the benefits would be equal to the tax paid. I suspect with the increases in LITO that this figure is now higher.
An interesting thought.. I just checked ours.. we paid $2,400 net after tax rebate and FTB payments.. oh but... we also got back about $1,800 in stimulus, so we have only contributed about $600 in tax this year

And our income is pretty close to the average...

Old Sep 17th 2009, 11:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
An interesting thought.. I just checked ours.. we paid $2,400 net after tax rebate and FTB payments.. oh but... we also got back about $1,800 in stimulus, so we have only contributed about $600 in tax this year

And our income is pretty close to the average...
Sponger

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.