Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

phone number in uk

phone number in uk

Old Sep 22nd 2009, 7:56 am
Just Joined

gunder58 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default phone number in uk

Hi can anyone help me please...... is there a number i can register back home in the uk that diverts here in Australia making the phone calls cheaper for them? many thanks,
john
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 9:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: phone number in uk

I use http://www.localphone.com/. I have a Liverpool number that courtesy of the internet rings in Melbourne. You have to let people know that although it is a UK number you are still in Aus if you don't want to get woken up.

It use voice over ip and the phone I use is the Siemens Gigaset C470IP.

Free to me, callers pay UK rates. Most are on plans where they don't pay for calls in the evening/weekend so free to them as well.

You can use an ATA with your existing phone but I think an ip phone is best.

Now we have our Optus number, 3 other Aus numbers from Voip providers, plus the UK number associated with the house.

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=VoIP FAQ on voip

Best place for info http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/107

Ian
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Zenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to all

Out of curiosity, when it diverts to Melbourne does it have to be to a VOIP phone or can it be to a general landline?

At the moment I am in the UK using skype. I pay £8 per month for unlimited world access. I have a Perth number my family call me on and then I divert it to my landline phone since it is cordless and i can answer it anywhere in the house and the pc does not have to be on. I also have an incoming UK number for when I move to Perth. If I can do the same without the £8 fee then that would be fab.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 10:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zenshin
Out of curiosity, when it diverts to Melbourne does it have to be to a VOIP phone or can it be to a general landline?
As it's a Voip number you input the servers, username and password into your voip phone or ATA and it rings wherever you are in the world.

Unfortunately, Skype uses their own proprietary protocol so an IP phone/ATA won't work.

I suggest moving away from Skye and investigating ip phones/ATAs on the links I provided. If you can set-up a router then you should find it OK.

Whilst you are in the UK the IP phones are a lot cheaper as are digital radios so buy them there.

Ian
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

gunder58 is an unknown quantity at this point

ok guys, thank you for that, it's just that a friend here told me they used an number that was provided from this web-site, cheers for the info
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 5:17 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gunder58
ok guys, thank you for that, it's just that a friend here told me they used an number that was provided from this web-site, cheers for the info
Further to what ebo is saying here; Most sip providors will also call forward to a standard telephone number at there sip rates. Negating the need for SIP hardware and making it cheap to recieve incoming calls from the UK. This would seem to so what you need.

I use sipgate for a uk dial in no and a siemens C475IP (similar to ebo). But if I am not near it I can just forward it to another phone number in Oz (it also has voicemail to email). Many providers out there tho..