Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A few things I would like to say

A few things I would like to say

Old Jan 21st 2003, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Perth Helena is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jeannie
In Canada B.C. we have walk in clinics everywere, I went to one this morning. I gave my medical card waited 10 min saw the Doctor, and went next door to the coffee shop no "fuss no muss". medical costs me and the Hubbie $180.00 CDN a month.
The advantages to living in a small city, Jeannie. You would have to be lucky to get a 10-minute wait in a Vancouver clinic. I showed up one New Year's Day in agony. Had to wait 90 minutes. Finally got in to see the doctor who was muttering and shaking his head, saying he'd just seen 6 people in a row with nothing more than the sniffles, most of them asking for antibiotics. And two others had nothing more than hangovers, asking for antibiotics. As I suffered. Turned out I had the worst case of strep throat he had ever seen plus middle ear infections in both ears. Maximum wait here would be 20 minutes at our clinic, longer if you wanted a specific doctor but when you feel like you're going to die, you just want someone with a current medical license. I don't mind paying an extra cost if that's the service I get.

And if you are on welfare it costs nothing (I'M not going there on that topic..... "LOL")
:lecture:
Yeah, that's a bit annoying sometimes but I don't mind free healthcare for people like that. As long as they are truly needy. Here, you get a card that entitles you to a number of discounts and benefits but with some financial monkey business by a good accountant someone pretty well-off can get one of those cards.
Old Jan 21st 2003, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Perth Helena
The advantages to living in a small city, Jeannie. You would have to be lucky to get a 10-minute wait in a Vancouver clinic. I showed up one New Year's Day in agony. Had to wait 90 minutes. Finally got in to see the doctor who was muttering and shaking his head, saying he'd just seen 6 people in a row with nothing more than the sniffles, most of them asking for antibiotics. And two others had nothing more than hangovers, asking for antibiotics. As I suffered. Turned out I had the worst case of strep throat he had ever seen plus middle ear infections in both ears. Maximum wait here would be 20 minutes at our clinic, longer if you wanted a specific doctor but when you feel like you're going to die, you just want someone with a current medical license. I don't mind paying an extra cost if that's the service I get.

Yeah, that's a bit annoying sometimes but I don't mind free healthcare for people like that. As long as they are truly needy. Here, you get a card that entitles you to a number of discounts and benefits but with some financial monkey business by a good accountant someone pretty well-off can get one of those cards.

Yes you are right small towns do have different rules. did the Doc give you antibiotics for the throat ?? strep throat is a very nasty thing to get it takes awhile to get over. I had it a couple of months ago, but I told my Hubby the Doc said the only cure known to man was 2 weeks in Hawaii "dont know what he ment by YOU'V GOT NO CHANCE"...........