Water Quality

Old Jan 16th 2003, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

choombi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Water Quality

Hi there,
As one of the places we are looking at is the adelaide area we was wondering what the quality of water was like, i have heard that you can't drink it as it has a high saline content, also as it does have the lowest rainfall of all the major city's does the lack of water pose major problems.

Thanks
Steve
Old Jan 17th 2003, 1:04 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Water Quality

Originally posted by choombi
Hi there,
As one of the places we are looking at is the adelaide area we was wondering what the quality of water was like, i have heard that you can't drink it as it has a high saline content, also as it does have the lowest rainfall of all the major city's does the lack of water pose major problems.

Thanks
Steve
No idea about Adelaide Perths is very poor , only worth drinking when brewed.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jan 17th 2003 at 1:25 am.
Old Jan 17th 2003, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

Perth Helena is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard
No idea about Adelaide Perths is very poor , only worth drinking when brewed.

We use a Brita filter water pitcher. Perth water isn't "poor", it's sanitised and filtered and whatever else they do to it to keep you from coming down with diptheria, but it has a "taste" to it. Bit of a chlorine smell. Nothing that water should have but unfortunately something many people around the world have to put up with. The worst water in the developed world I've ever had was in Regina, Saskatchewan. Makes me gag just thinking about it. I couldn't even brush my teeth with it. L.A. water isn't anything wonderful either but at least I could brush my teeth without using bottled water.

Anyway, lots of people here don't like their water to have a taste or a smell, so we filter it or buy bottled. The Brita filter works well. I fill up a glass bottle from the filtered water out of the pitcher as well so we have lots in the fridge. We all drink loads of water so it's just a matter of constantly refilling the pitcher. Some people have filters fitted to their taps or pipes.
Old Jan 17th 2003, 1:47 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Perth Helena
We use a Brita filter water pitcher. Perth water isn't "poor", it's sanitised and filtered and whatever else they do to it to keep you from coming down with diptheria, but it has a "taste" to it. Bit of a chlorine smell. Nothing that water should have but unfortunately something many people around the world have to put up with. The worst water in the developed world I've ever had was in Regina, Saskatchewan. Makes me gag just thinking about it. I couldn't even brush my teeth with it. L.A. water isn't anything wonderful either but at least I could brush my teeth without using bottled water.

Anyway, lots of people here don't like their water to have a taste or a smell, so we filter it or buy bottled. The Brita filter works well. I fill up a glass bottle from the filtered water out of the pitcher as well so we have lots in the fridge. We all drink loads of water so it's just a matter of constantly refilling the pitcher. Some people have filters fitted to their taps or pipes.
The taste it has is rank like you say a filter is required but the water varies suburb to suburb , some has a lovely brown colour to it and all of it is hard loads of lime in it , the good wife will only drink bottled water.

Old Jan 17th 2003, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

... the water varies suburb to suburb , some has a lovely brown colour to it ...
Brown? Out of the tap? Bore water can be weird - rusty or sulphuric, but if you're getting brown water out of the tap, I'd get that checked. Even if it were a bit cloudy, I'd complain. Wasn't aware that brown water out of the tap was common anywhere but then I haven't had water from all water sources in Perth. You could be right but still, I'd question that with the Water Corp. We had a brief spell of brown water when they were mucking with the pipes somewhere but that was only for one morning. My neighbour didn't know about it and did a load of whites that morning! Needless to say they weren't blindingly white after that wash. She complained to the Water Corp and they dropped off some sort of chemical to add to her wash and it cleared it up.
Old Jan 17th 2003, 2:07 am
Banned

Brown? Out of the tap? Bore water can be weird - rusty or sulphuric, but if you're getting brown water out of the tap, I'd get that checked. Even if it were a bit cloudy, I'd complain. Wasn't aware that brown water out of the tap was common anywhere but then I haven't had water from all water sources in Perth. You could be right but still, I'd question that with the Water Corp. We had a brief spell of brown water when they were mucking with the pipes somewhere but that was only for one morning. My neighbour didn't know about it and did a load of whites that morning! Needless to say they weren't blindingly white after that wash. She complained to the Water Corp and they dropped off some sort of chemical to add to her wash and it cleared it up.

We had very odd water in Quinns but like you say they were forever mucking about with the mains because of the building going on around us, there seems to be a few making a living out of bottled water we even get it free at work in the coolers far better than the tap water.

Old Jan 17th 2003, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

Twofingersalute is an unknown quantity at this point

We had very odd water in Quinns but like you say they were forever mucking about with the mains because of the building going on around us, there seems to be a few making a living out of bottled water we even get it free at work in the coolers far better than the tap water.

Water lets see-melbourne -quite good water, except its on water restrictions now as water level is at 51%-but funny that Citylink used a million litres a day to prop up the burnley tunnel-but thats alright seeing its the Governement-the only leaking tunnel in the world!!! They put fluoride in the water-do they do that in england?
Old Jan 17th 2003, 4:01 pm
Magnetic Member

magnetman is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Twofingersalute
Water lets see-melbourne -quite good water, except its on water restrictions now as water level is at 51%-but funny that Citylink used a million litres a day to prop up the burnley tunnel-but thats alright seeing its the Governement-the only leaking tunnel in the world!!! They put fluoride in the water-do they do that in england?
Its very patchy - only about 10% apparently. Mainly the North East and the Midlands where they forget to clean their teeth (or buy fluoride toothpaste)

http://www.liv.ac.uk/bfs/extent.html
Old Jan 21st 2003, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply,
Do you think that the lack of rain around Adelaide is a factor in people choosing other areas of Oz or are there other reasons, it just seems that most people on this forum are choosing Perth or Brisbane.

Steve
Old Jan 21st 2003, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Ozbunny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adelaide water

Hi all

I'm from Adelaide, and have lived in various suburbs, north, east and south of the city. In my experience the water tastes fine...perhaps a little chloriney in certain parts. As for Adelaide not getting a lot of rain, sure seems to me like we get our fair share.

But one of the great things is, it seems to rain mostly at night here, so that leaves the majority of our days rain free....makes it a pretty nice place to live really.

Although, its a tad too hot this week!
Old Jan 21st 2003, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply,
Any other info you could give me on Adelaide would be much appreciated
Old Jan 21st 2003, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by choombi
Thanks for your reply,
Do you think that the lack of rain around Adelaide is a factor in people choosing other areas of Oz or are there other reasons, it just seems that most people on this forum are choosing Perth or Brisbane.

Steve
I don't believe lack of rain is a factor at all. Most migrants number one factor in choosing where to live is jobs. Adelaide's never been at the top of the list for job availability since South Australia's lagged economically in the recent past. It's always been Sydney & Melbourne for job availability, then Brisbane, Perth, Canberra (not necessarily in that order for the last three). Then people probably figure in housing cost and other factors, and they go from there in deciding where to move to. I'm not saying you won't find work in Adelaide. It could be harder than in other cities. Or not. It depends on industry, timing and sometimes, just luck.

Good luck.
Old Jan 22nd 2003, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

As tap water goes Brisbane seems fine. There is no flouride in it tho and kids seem to have a incredible amount of fillings here. No doubt there is a flouride/no flouride debate, however just check if your bit of Aus will have flouride. If not you may choose to purchase flouride drops for the kids.