Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A few things I would like to say

A few things I would like to say

Old Jan 16th 2003, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default A few things I would like to say

I’ve read so much negativity on these boards I feel I want to set some things straight. From those that are unhappy one could assume that Australian’s are a culturally bereft lot who get pissed every night and bang the empty beer cans on their heads. For me that would be like saying everyone in England is a soccer thug and never takes a bath.

Some of the complaints I have read have included the lack of culture, the weather, how bad the driver’s are, how Australians drink too much, the spiders and the snakes and so on. While these can be issues I have to ask has the weather changed since you first thought of moving to Australia or has it always been the way it is now? Has Australia ever promoted itself as a cultural mecca? I do agree that the English could be rated amongst the best driver’s in the world but did anyone move to Australia for the purpose of critiquing the driving skills of others? As for the snakes and spiders I take it everyone has to wrestle them in their driveway each morning to get to their cars. Australians do like a drink, but just because they buy their beer by the slab doesn’t mean they go home and quaff it in one go. Also as for people moaning all the kids in Oz are fat, every Australian is in debt, I suggest you take a look around because these things are common throughout the world. Everyone seems to live beyond their means these days. Kids sit in front of the telly or play computer games rather than get off their butts and play outside.

As for the comments about lack of money, I am amazed that a teacher has a take home salary of less than $1k per month. My BIL works as a storeman earning less than $30,000 and he still manages to take home between $300-$400 per week. People keep mentioning the tax rate of 47% but it needs to be kept in mind that the rate at $50,000 is 30%. The 47% does not kick in until $60,000. Yes there is a medicare levy of 1.5% (I think) but that does not match the 10% NI.

As for the complaints about the NHS in Australia, every negative you can find from your own experience in Australia I can find one for the UK. As a matter of fact our number one reason for leaving the UK was to get away from the NHS. I had a brilliant GP in the UK but found it is impossible to get past the gatekeepers to see the person you need to see in the UK. However instead of putting up with it we dealt with it by moving on. In Australia you are not tied to one Dr, so if you think they are crap get off your butt until you find one who is good. Yes some Dr’s will charge you an amount above what the Medicare scheduled fee is so you will pay for each visit but personally I believe if you find a good Dr it is worth it. I know I would have paid my GP in the UK 10 quid each time rather than having them scrimp and save to hold the surgery together.

If you are after money Australia is not the place to go. If you are career minded forget it. However if you want a bit more sunshine and more personal space it is a good place.

I think it is so important to write a list of what you hope to achieve before you move. Whenever you feel down look at that list and remind yourself of why you made the move. If you can see that you are achieving your goals with you move it does help you feel happy.

Also never underestimate the feeling of isolation the distance between the UK and Australia can cause. It is a long way from home.

Finally there is no shame in saying you are not the right person for Australia and going home. I don’t believe anyone should consider themselves a failure if things don’t work out and they would prefer to go home. I know I could never live in England forever, not because there is anything wrong with England but just that I prefer warmer weather. Doesn’t mean that England and everything associated with it is crap, just that I am not the right type of person for England.
Old Jan 16th 2003, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Vicky. Helpful balanced view!
Mash..
Old Jan 16th 2003, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A few things I would like to say

And the sad thing is Vicky is that it just isnt true. Having lived in Australia as a child, and also spent a year there in 98 (doing 10,000 km) i can assure everyone who comes on this web site that it is a beautiful countryb full of opp's. It is tragic that some people who dont find it right for them have to make it their business putting other people off, for whom it could be the life of their dreams (we dont all come from beauty and wealth in the UK).

Love

Grub

Go get you dreams and if you want things to happen then make them happen!
Old Jan 16th 2003, 1:49 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Grub
And the sad thing is Vicky is that it just isnt true. Having lived in Australia as a child, and also spent a year there in 98 (doing 10,000 km) i can assure everyone who comes on this web site that it is a beautiful countryb full of opp's. It is tragic that some people who dont find it right for them have to make it their business putting other people off, for whom it could be the life of their dreams (we dont all come from beauty and wealth in the UK).

Love

Grub

Go get you dreams and if you want things to happen then make them happen!
I agree, but no more 'tragic' than people generalising, exaggerating and generally criticising the UK to those who wish to return from Australia. The words 'double standards' spring to mind. What about those who want to return to the UK - is it equally a 'tragedy' that people on this forum who do not enjoy their lives in the UK make it their business to point out the UK's shortcomings to those who are here and pondering a return? Are negative views expressed about personal experiences in the UK more valid than negative views expressed about personal experiences in Australia?
Old Jan 16th 2003, 6:58 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Vicky88
I’ve read so much negativity on these boards I feel I want to set some things straight. From those that are unhappy one could assume that Australian’s are a culturally bereft lot who get pissed every night and bang the empty beer cans on their heads. For me that would be like saying everyone in England is a soccer thug and never takes a bath.

Some of the complaints I have read have included the lack of culture, the weather, how bad the driver’s are, how Australians drink too much, the spiders and the snakes and so on. While these can be issues I have to ask has the weather changed since you first thought of moving to Australia or has it always been the way it is now? Has Australia ever promoted itself as a cultural mecca? I do agree that the English could be rated amongst the best driver’s in the world but did anyone move to Australia for the purpose of critiquing the driving skills of others? As for the snakes and spiders I take it everyone has to wrestle them in their driveway each morning to get to their cars. Australians do like a drink, but just because they buy their beer by the slab doesn’t mean they go home and quaff it in one go. Also as for people moaning all the kids in Oz are fat, every Australian is in debt, I suggest you take a look around because these things are common throughout the world. Everyone seems to live beyond their means these days. Kids sit in front of the telly or play computer games rather than get off their butts and play outside.

As for the comments about lack of money, I am amazed that a teacher has a take home salary of less than $1k per month. My BIL works as a storeman earning less than $30,000 and he still manages to take home between $300-$400 per week. People keep mentioning the tax rate of 47% but it needs to be kept in mind that the rate at $50,000 is 30%. The 47% does not kick in until $60,000. Yes there is a medicare levy of 1.5% (I think) but that does not match the 10% NI.

As for the complaints about the NHS in Australia, every negative you can find from your own experience in Australia I can find one for the UK. As a matter of fact our number one reason for leaving the UK was to get away from the NHS. I had a brilliant GP in the UK but found it is impossible to get past the gatekeepers to see the person you need to see in the UK. However instead of putting up with it we dealt with it by moving on. In Australia you are not tied to one Dr, so if you think they are crap get off your butt until you find one who is good. Yes some Dr’s will charge you an amount above what the Medicare scheduled fee is so you will pay for each visit but personally I believe if you find a good Dr it is worth it. I know I would have paid my GP in the UK 10 quid each time rather than having them scrimp and save to hold the surgery together.

If you are after money Australia is not the place to go. If you are career minded forget it. However if you want a bit more sunshine and more personal space it is a good place.

I think it is so important to write a list of what you hope to achieve before you move. Whenever you feel down look at that list and remind yourself of why you made the move. If you can see that you are achieving your goals with you move it does help you feel happy.

Also never underestimate the feeling of isolation the distance between the UK and Australia can cause. It is a long way from home.

Finally there is no shame in saying you are not the right person for Australia and going home. I don’t believe anyone should consider themselves a failure if things don’t work out and they would prefer to go home. I know I could never live in England forever, not because there is anything wrong with England but just that I prefer warmer weather. Doesn’t mean that England and everything associated with it is crap, just that I am not the right type of person for England.

Just a few things you seem have over looked the medi care levy is a top up not your total payment , you pay far more than that through direct tax , 50k-60 is taxed at 42%.
For a country that means tests all benefits including pensions , you get very little for what is paid into the system, you were never tied to one doctor in the UK my wife changed hers a number times.
The there is no set charge to see a doctor ours charges upto $70 plus there is only a $28min for pharmaceuticals no max until you spend over $600.
To be honest 30k a year is bloody poor even for the unskilled you must both be working to get by.
The Australian way of life is very limited and the high light of most peoples lifes is to buy a slab and get pissed try getting into the bottle shops on the weekend.
Good for you that it suits you here , to be honest I think its very limited and most people do out grow it, saying that it seems that it matters more to most that you get a few days extra sun.
Australia suits those who love suburbia vast bland estates full of want to be middle class people , who need to keep up with the jones .
Good Luck to you I will look for a wider world

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jan 16th 2003 at 7:03 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2003, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Location: St Austell, Cornwall to 'Coff's Harbour NSW, then Adelaide - back to Cornwall- back to Oz hopefully
sue5665 is an unknown quantity at this point

PB

When was the last time you visited the UK???

Sue
Old Jan 16th 2003, 11:18 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vicky88

Wouldn't it be a boring old world if we were all the same. Liked the same climate, cars, housing estates, clothes, schools, outdoor or indoor lifestyles, food, holidys, TV programmes etc, etc. Everyone would want the same thing and you would never be able to get what you wanted. So it is a good job that everyone is different. That is basically what this is all about. Where ever you are there are good and bad things 'IN YOUR OPINION'. So we all need to make the most of where we are. And if you just can not do that, well then it is time to move on.
But remember the old saying, 'THE GRASS IS NOT ALWAYS GREENER ON THE OTHERSIDE OF THE FENCE'

Regards to you all,

Cinderella
Old Jan 17th 2003, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

PB, I think you should move to Melbourne mate, you would probably find it a lot better there than in the massively overgrown country town of Perth.
Old Jan 17th 2003, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

I have no argument with the statement that everyone is entitled to their opinion and agree what works for one, does not work for another. However, I don't believe that facts should be twisted to suit oneself.

Tax rates. As I stated at $50,000 the tax rate is 30%. On the amount between $50,0001 and $60,000 that portion is taxed at 42% and anything over $60,0001 is taxed at 47%. As for the medicare levy it is 1.5% on all income. So would be grateful if you I could be set straight on these other taxes that I don't know about.

Re Dr.'s. When was the last time you were in the UK and visiting out of town and were able to go to the local surgery and get seen? In my experience it just doesn't happen. I was at my husband's surgery once, some poor woman needed to see a Dr to get a repeat prescription and there was no way that they would see her. Another time some woman had a sick child that she wanted to bring in but they had no appt. vacancies so told her she would have to wait until the Friday morning, even though this was a Wednesday afternoon. All I am saying is that with Medicare you can go to any Dr at any time, without having to fill in forms to change surgeries.

As for the cost of prescriptions, yes I agree that they are high because unfortunately there is a large welfare population to be supported. However you do realise that it is nearly up to 7 pounds in the UK now.

As for the pensions issue. Well I have to say I am not overthrilled by the UK plan. 70 quid a week after making contributions for 44 years. Not too many manage to live big on that I am sure after they pay their winter heating bills. Also what is wrong with means testing for the pension. If you have a couple of million stashed in super why call on the public system? We know we will not get a pension when we retire but are planning for this. This is just another example where it is up to the individual to act in their own best interests rather than rely on a government.

I know lots of Australians who hardly drink anything and don't spend all their time pissed. Yes, they do live in suburbia but the reality is wherever you live most of your time is taken up with existence rather than living.

Also wonder what this wider world is that you are seeking and what you are going to do about obtaining it?

Just want to point out that while I am Australian I actually live in California. I have also lived in the UK, Switzerland, France, Mexico and Pakistan so think I might actually have seen a bit of the wider world and am able to recognise that there is no such thing as a perfect place. Every country has it's good and bad bits. You just have to deal with it the best you can, and sometimes you even need to recognise the problems you have are with yourself rather than the environment you are living in.

That said we will return to Australia to live eventually. I know it is not perfect, many of the things you mention frustrate me as well. However Australia is able to give me enough positives that I can deal with the negatives.
Old Jan 17th 2003, 6:07 am
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

Originally posted by Grub
(we dont all come from beauty and wealth in the UK).
Speak for yourself

BB-charm,wit,looks to die for & an impossibly smooth butt
Old Jan 17th 2003, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommie Bastard

Just want to add that it is a pity that you have allowed your bitterness to cloud any objectivity in your posts. Some of what you say I do agree with, you do have some valid points, however your carry on over each and every issues have made you into one of those people that it's not worth listening to.

As for your comment re the 30k - if you read the message I stated it was my BIL not myself. I think it is inappropriate to try and make people feel inadequate because they earn less than you do. Remember without checkout chicks, garbage collectors and the likes, the rest of us wouldn't live very pleasant lives. Not everyone is destined for a university education and a desk job. Earning more does not make any of us a more valued member of society than anyone else. If you want to talk money I am sure my husband earns a lot more than you and I can attempt to make you feel inadequate.

Anyway enough of this as I have to get ready as I am flying to Adelaide tonight. Yes, I know that is such a boring place and then I am following it up with the even more boring Tasmania and Canberra. So I guess by Sunday evening I should have consumed my first slab, attended my first barbie with my boring mates, been attacked by a killer spider and even managed to spend my husband's pay cheque at the pokies. However, not to worry, I can go to the bank on Monday and get myself one of those million dollar loans to tide me over.
Old Jan 17th 2003, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

captaincook is an unknown quantity at this point

Needless to say the original poster was an Australian.

I think Billy Connolly summed up Australia when he said they believe they are living in California but its actually more like Alabama. If you want a mid-west American lifestyle then Oz may be perfect for you - unfortunately the way Oz is portrayed in the UK is false.

I have to say that the picture of Oz portrayed in the UK is a very Californian image with a vibrant economy, high tech jobs, endless summers, lifes a beach. I have to say without trying to be negative that Australians endlessly promote this image regardless of the truth. I know ex-pat journalists in London that go out of their way to do this because its good for Oz. Brits watch Neighbours etc We had friends that recently got married in Sydney having seen the Cold Feet wedding on TV and they could'nt believe it when it rained and spoiled their wedding day!

We can argue all day over the good and bad of Oz vs England but I personally would rather read truthful comments from Brits that have actually made the move than sour grapes from ex-pat Australians who cannot tolerate any criticism of Australia although more than happy to dish it out on any other country in which they may live. I am not referring to the original poster here but Australians in general.
Old Jan 17th 2003, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by pommie bastard
The there is no set charge to see a doctor ours charges upto $70 plus there is only a $28min for pharmaceuticals no max until you spend over $600.
To be honest 30k a year is bloody poor even for the unskilled you must both be working to get by.
The Australian way of life is very limited and the high light of most peoples lifes is to buy a slab and get pissed try getting into the bottle shops on the weekend.
PB, you need to find a doctor that bulk bills, I have never paid a doctors fee EVER (other than an operation, that I went Private for). I pay my 1% at the end of tax year and that is the end of it. Unless things have changed in the last 2 years, there are still doctors that bulk bill. Or if you do pay you can go and claim most of it back on Medicare.

As for the buying a carton/slab of beer. When I was in Malaysia all of us got together - locals included and went to each others houses. In London we did the same. In Ireland we did the same. In Sri Lanka we did the same and in America we do the same. So it is not an Australian thing it is pretty universal. I guess it just depends on how good your friends are and how much you want to hang out with them. And also how much money you want to spend, my philosophy is you can have a good time at home with your friends, do it. It is better than spending $50++++ at the pub and having to get a cab home, which is not cheap.
Old Jan 17th 2003, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

CaptainC,

I have to agree that too many Brits do believe that living in Australia is like Neighbours or Home & Away. I also agree that there are some Australians who will rave on about the perfection of Australia. These are normally those Australians who have never set foot outside the country so really have no idea what they are on about. An example of overpromotion is Sydneysiders who will rave that they have the most beautiful city in the world. I guess that may be true if you can afford to live on the Harbour itself, but personally I find areas like Parramatta and the like to be nothing special. As for anyone who is naive enough to believe that it doesn't get cold or never rains they need to take a reality check.

All I really want to see is a more balanced presentation. As I said there are some truths in what PB and his supporters say, just a better approach instead of a 100% run the place down might help.
Old Jan 17th 2003, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue

Here in California most of our entertainment is done at home with everyone bringing round the beers and shock horror, our two sets of best friends are both British. It is too expensive to go out. All the best bars are downtown, the taxi fare is $50+ each way so there is $100 before you have your first beer.

Also every country is guilty of promoting itself as an beautiful paradise. Here in San Diego they rave on about how their beaches are the best in the world and how wonderful their restaurants are. Personally I think there is only 1 decent beach in town and the beaches in Australia are far better, but I have just learnt to smile and nod my head because it doesn't matter if it is true or not. Some things are just not worth worrying about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.