Wikiposts

fed up with uk

Old Apr 17th 2005, 10:52 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: fed up with uk

Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead
Well, from somebody who is already here: we left for exactly the same reasons. I thought of everything I would NOT miss, like weather, I didn't think about things I would miss. All I would say is to give it a go, it really does depend on your circumstances, but leave a door open incase you want to come back. Because you can't really tell until you are living here. I personally want to go back to England in 2 years when I have my citizenship. I really miss my family, and my kids are being deprived of their grandparents etc. I can't just hop in a car and go and see my mum and dad. Have you read the "homesick" threads ?? We are far worse off here financially than in the uk. Taxes here are high, and you have to pay $54 just to visit the doctor (ok you get about $30 back). My husband is finding their work ethic totally different. Its so samey here, no history, no culture. Think of how many holiday destinations you can do from Europe, and how many from here? Everyone is different, I know people who have been here years, others who stayed a week, and I've heard of someone who got back on the plane after a couple of hours!!!
Well good luck anyway, everyone is different, but don't burn your bridges
yeah I hear you, but (has to be a but!! ...lol)

a door open? - yeah I'm a cabbie, I can keep my licence to drive so WILL have that to return to if and when! (workwise)

hop in a car and go see mum & dad ? - well unfortunatly borth myself and partner have very little ties with our families. For one reason or another we are just not close as many are! we are the 'get together at xmas' type so I don't see this a prob. Ok naive maybe, but we converse more in cyberland to be honest, and might as well be in Tim Buk Too (soory on that spellin ...lol)

We are far worse off here financially than in the uk - We are doin well in this field, but KNOW money isn't everything! Ok, it helps, but NEVER was the be all and end all!

Its so samey here, no history, no culture. - I hear you, and have heard many say this, but without goin on, I drive my can round London. I drive past Big Ben, Buck Pal, Traf Sq, House of Twats (Commons), over all the bridges over the thames, oh everything inc Brixton prob at least once a night! ........ but it means nothing to me. i have tourists rave about it all as I drive along, and I yawn! it's just not my thing, and I CAN lose it ...... no prob!

Think of how many holiday destinations you can do from Europe, and how many from here? - can't give no arguement, and many a reason the Aussies I speak to hit on the UK for, close proximity to Europe! There is always Taz tho

Well good luck anyway, everyone is different, but don't burn your bridges - Thanks, I'm trying not to
Old Apr 17th 2005, 11:12 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stormz
She probably made the wrong choice. My wife`s parents had the choice of the £10 boat trips to either S.A. or Aus in the 60`s, and they chose Aus. Dunno why they went to Perth though... maybe because it was the first stop in Aus from S`ton. Personally I`d have gone east, but maybe I`m just dissilusioned with Perth as I was born there and spent some latter teen years there and found it very boring.

I don`t hate the UK. I hate some parts of living in the UK (anything to do with money really.... taxes are a killer), the Chavs, the seeming open-door immigration policy (which in turn leads to lack of affordable housing and more strain on public resources).... but overall I like living in the UK... the history, the travel opportunities, the beautiful scenery, the entertainment. In Oz the lifestyle is more relaxed and the weather may be better, but it has no history to visit, and I don`t find it beautiful except for the beaches. International class entertainment just doesn`t make it there that often (especially Perth).
I`ll miss the UK, but know my kids will have a better future in most ways in Oz, and they can always come to the UK if they want to once they are old enough.
Are you looking forward to the 47.5% top marginal tax rate at a lower threshold? Why do you know your kids have a better future here? You have outlined a lot of frustrations people have with Oz.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 11:14 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Don`t understand your tax ref, but I think our kids will be better off in Oz on the lifestyle, schooling and family front.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 11:20 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stormz
Don`t understand your tax ref, but I think our kids will be better off in Oz on the lifestyle, schooling and family front.
Check out the tax calculator on www.ato.gov.au. Council tax rather than income tax is where you will save. Income taxes in Oz are worse than the UK. Forgot to add on the 1.5% medicare levy plus more if you do not have private medical insurance. Then add in school fees if you local high school is not up to it. Just don't expect lower taxes. What will the Oz lifestyle do for your kids? Sorry to pick on you for this one as lots of people say this but the British families I know do perfectly fine in Blighty.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 12:00 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bondipom
Why do you know your kids have a better future here? You have outlined a lot of frustrations people have with Oz.
Ok, not directed at me, but will answer anyway.

MY kids have a better future here in the UK schooling wise, without a doubt. I/my partner went thru a lot to get my daughter into a top Grammar school here. With her in, my younger son got a place auto. I say that as my daughter who is VERY bright had to sit a test to get in, needed 98% + and got it! my son is no fool, but not on par with her, but all the same is now in the same school, and doin well

This school all the top students go to Oxbridge and with my daughter currently sitting in the top group of every class, AND the top of the top group in Maths and Chemistry, we know she will do well! My son is middle of the road, but is not bothered with grades and all that, it doesn't push him! he wants to work in the trade field and that is fine with me. My daughter strives on the pressure/expectancy of her and just enjoys the challenge!

What I want to say, and Auntie Stella keeps drifting me, is altho they will both prob have a better chance here in the UK, myself, partner, and BOTH kids want to go live in Oz. They've both read enough on here from other kids who have emmigrated and are doin fine, to know THEY will too.

I'm pretty sozzled now and for fear of goin round in circles will end now, but all i'm sayin is we, as in me & partner know ANY kid will do well, wherever they are if they want it! We've NEVER pushed any of our kids, it's all on their own merit. We guide them, but NEVER DEMAND anything from them, trhey do as they'll do!

Ok, lucky as they both do well, but ahhhhhhh ,,,,,,,,,,,,, booze is now turning this post into a mess ...lol

ok, final comment is I'm confident altho they have better chances in the UK, Oz 'aint so bad' so feel with all the other contributing factors inc the kids wanting to go to Oz, should we REALLY stay put just for the 'better' education ???

I'm gonna hit 'submit reply' instead of 'preview post' as i'm just too gone now ...lol.

Just hope this post makes sense, and is relevant!

if not, then a typical Jim2004 post about cack and bound to be a 'thread killer' ....... which is fine, I am used to it now
Old Apr 17th 2005, 12:02 pm

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Reading some of the comments, if you are leaving UK because of immigration, crime, yobs blah blah you will also find it in Australia. If you don't like "foreigners" you are going to be very rudely woken up as your neighbours could be Chinese, Japanese, Vietmese, Italian, Somalian, Indian blah blah. From talking to a friends out there they think the social problems have been come quite bad especially with kids. Police complain about kids roaming and committing crime and some are under 10 and they feel helpless in dealing with some of the problems. Drugs is a big problem out there also, in some places children are illiterate due to poor education. People also forget distances, the nearest cities down south are no less that 9 hours driving, so if you can't get work in one place you literally have to up sticks, unlike UK where you can easily commute. Some people do feel islolated and if you have a family it is expensive to go back home and with exchange rates people have lost a lot of money in going back. If you can't get work or are not multi skilled awhat are you going to do? If you are used to family and friends support you have to remember if the shit hits the fan you are completely on your own. People don't always realise that. Its easy to say hell if it doesn't work out I'll go somewhere else...but if you have no money it isn't always an option and some people do get trapped and it is their reality, moreso if they have a family. Some Australians think Australia also has gone to the dogs hence why they live in other countries.
I agree with everything you've said here. People think its paradise here. Just the other week, a schoolkid stood on a syringe on a bayside beach, someone was shot in the CBD, this weekend there has been the biggest drugs haul, its everywhere, not just in the UK. Yep the sun shines an awful lot, but it for me, it doesn't make up for the fact we can't go and see the family. Airfares are expensive, and if either of my parents got ill (or worse) I would hate being over here, not being able to do anything.You don't miss what you've got until you don't have it !!!
Old Apr 17th 2005, 12:08 pm

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jim2004
yeah I hear you, but (has to be a but!! ...lol)

a door open? - yeah I'm a cabbie, I can keep my licence to drive so WILL have that to return to if and when! (workwise)

hop in a car and go see mum & dad ? - well unfortunatly borth myself and partner have very little ties with our families. For one reason or another we are just not close as many are! we are the 'get together at xmas' type so I don't see this a prob. Ok naive maybe, but we converse more in cyberland to be honest, and might as well be in Tim Buk Too (soory on that spellin ...lol)

We are far worse off here financially than in the uk - We are doin well in this field, but KNOW money isn't everything! Ok, it helps, but NEVER was the be all and end all!

Its so samey here, no history, no culture. - I hear you, and have heard many say this, but without goin on, I drive my can round London. I drive past Big Ben, Buck Pal, Traf Sq, House of Twats (Commons), over all the bridges over the thames, oh everything inc Brixton prob at least once a night! ........ but it means nothing to me. i have tourists rave about it all as I drive along, and I yawn! it's just not my thing, and I CAN lose it ...... no prob!

Think of how many holiday destinations you can do from Europe, and how many from here? - can't give no arguement, and many a reason the Aussies I speak to hit on the UK for, close proximity to Europe! There is always Taz tho

Well good luck anyway, everyone is different, but don't burn your bridges - Thanks, I'm trying not to
Well if you haven't got family ties - you'll be alright then won't you!! Thats the biggest problem for me. I used to live just over the M25 from you - and boy I miss it!!! Do you know the Viceroy in Bricket Wood ? What wouldn't I give to get a decent curry from there !!!
I would say give it a go, otherwise you'll always be wondering "what if". But life is life where ever you go, I know where I'd rather be living mine!!!
Old Apr 17th 2005, 12:28 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

But life is life where ever you go, I know where I'd rather be living mine!!!
I agree with a lot of what you say re Aus not being utopia and life still goes on, bills to pay, crime etc, etc...

It seems from your posts that you are very unhappy in Aus and miss UK very much. So why don't you go back to live in UK if Aus makes you so unhappy?

Old Apr 17th 2005, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

Well if you haven't got family ties - you'll be alright then won't you!! Thats the biggest problem for me. I used to live just over the M25 from you - and boy I miss it!!! Do you know the Viceroy in Bricket Wood ? What wouldn't I give to get a decent curry from there !!!
I would say give it a go, otherwise you'll always be wondering "what if". But life is life where ever you go, I know where I'd rather be living mine!!!
Oooooooooo, The Viceroy of India!! ........ well never visited the one in Brickets, but used to frequent the one in Abbots, top stuff!!

I even posted a 'Curry on the Gold Coast' thread as we are a little worried on that front ...lol, but I think I'm gonna have to learn how to do the ole curry myself b4 we go as the replies were ok, but didn't make me feel at ease! ...lol

Yeah I appreciate the family ties prob is prob the biggest PROB when ppl migrate, but as I say we're fine on that front. I wish it was different, but both sides just seem to be happy with a visit once a year, which to me makes it almost not worth doin!

I chat to my sister prob once a week at least in email, yet see her ONLY at xmas!

how sad it that!!!

Both brothers the same, altho one doesn't have internet access so I literally see him once a year!

terrible i know, but just how it is!

Moving to Oz gives us MANY worries, but funny enough family isn't one of them!
Old Apr 17th 2005, 12:36 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bondipom
Check out the tax calculator on www.ato.gov.au. Council tax rather than income tax is where you will save. Income taxes in Oz are worse than the UK. Forgot to add on the 1.5% medicare levy plus more if you do not have private medical insurance. Then add in school fees if you local high school is not up to it. Just don't expect lower taxes. What will the Oz lifestyle do for your kids? Sorry to pick on you for this one as lots of people say this but the British families I know do perfectly fine in Blighty.
Anyone paying more than a 30% marginal tax rate + medicare (~1.5%) is chucking money at the gubberment through laziness.

How will Aus get skilled migrants from the UK if not by appealing to the dis-affected or love-struck?
Old Apr 17th 2005, 12:42 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

KDDDD

I see from your earlier posts that you are at about the 4 month stage. I think this is probably the hardest stage - the initial excitement has worn off and real life kicks in, and it just isn't the 'same' as what you are used to.

I have been here 2 yrs and 4 months now and can say that it does get easier, especially once you start building up friendships. I don't have plans to stay forever but nor do I have plans to leave, just take it as it comes. I would also avoid visiting the UK too quickly as it is more likely to confirm your current view that it is the place you want to be before you have tried Oz out for a little longer. You will be able to make a more objective and less emotional judgement later.

I am currently on a temp visa so haven't even begun the 2 years as PR to get citizenship. That is my next plan (wheels currently getting into motion). Once I have citizenship I will feel I am more able to make a decision about where to live. I like the idea of trying out the US for a bit as well as some more time in the UK - I would, however, hate to not be able to get back into Oz after building so many ties and friendships here.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Megalania
Anyone paying more than a 30% marginal tax rate + medicare (~1.5%) is chucking money at the gubberment through laziness.

How will Aus get skilled migrants from the UK if not by appealing to the dis-affected or love-struck?

As a Student in Oz, and with a family of 4, I'm lookin at £500 (tops!!) per year for private health cover, that is ok for me!

I know the UK has the National Health, but after spending all Saturday in my local hospital waiting for a bed my partner can go in for a few days, took *****in all day too!! ........ i'm just not impressed! we endid up with a bed at a hospital (again, don't wanna keep swearing, but AM totally piss*d bout it all, ****** miles way! and NOT even relevant to her needs needing me to go pick her up at 9pm and bring here home for better care, by me!!! ....... oh it's just pants in the UK!!

£500 per year (if it's any good?!?!? ....... is NOTHIN!!!)
Old Apr 17th 2005, 1:03 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

As a Student in Oz, and with a family of 4, I'm lookin at £500 (tops!!) per year for private health cover, that is ok for me!

I know the UK has the National Health, but after spending all Saturday in my local hospital waiting for a bed my partner can go in for a few days, took *****in all day too!! ........ i'm just not impressed! we endid up with a bed at a hospital (again, don't wanna keep swearing, but AM totally piss*d bout it all, ****** miles way! and NOT even relevant to her needs needing me to go pick her up at 9pm and bring here home for better care, by me!!! ....... oh it's just pants in the UK!!

Elective (non-critical MediCare) hospitalization is rationed in Aus. Pay up-front and you are in like Flynn. Is it not the same in the UK?
Old Apr 17th 2005, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Go private then, you get what you pay for.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 1:14 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Elective (non-critical MediCare) hospitalization is rationed in Aus. Pay up-front and you are in like Flynn. Is it not the same in the UK?

Yes, but I'm not sure many realise the similarities between the NHS and Medicare. Why so many think the NHS (free at the point of delivery) is so bad is beyond me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.