England sucks??

Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:04 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: England sucks??

Originally Posted by psb182
some very good comments and thanks for sharing your thoughts.......I suppose if you are not close to your family and your life seems to be in limbo land then what the heck it's worth giving it a go.......I personally feel people HAVE to be migrating "material"........certain people fit the mould.....I know I did 20 yrs ago ........what I mean by that is if you have no tight bond with family and friends then it is easier to leave and the homesickness will not be as strong.......I guess being a little selfish helps too.....but if you really have great relationships with your family and friends then I belive those people with find it hard to cut the mustard being away from those people........imo the biggest factor in the whole situation is not lifestyle,sun,beaches,money,chavs,rain,cold winters.......it's your relationships with people in your life that will decide if you are cut out to leave your homeland.........I did it 20 yrs ago but my relationships as I got older and my longing to spend more time with family have made me realize that the most important thing in life is not where I am but the people that are around me
I'm glad your happy where you are in your life. Not many can boast that. People move for different reasons though. My wife had little to stay for in the UK whereas I had loads and we were both well off in both lifestyle and financially. The decision and reason to migrate is very different for everyone I always feel.

I would agree with you in that you do have to be migration material. How would we define that ? Rolling with the punches, ability to be ultimately adaptable and a strong sense of adventure perhaps. A splash of selfishness - absolutely - life is not a rehearsal!!! Certainly not for everyone. Many friends and family often say I'd love to do that...but...

As they say, home is where the heart is. I think its easier for some to adapt to the new country by simply accepting it as what it is and realising that it is home no matter what - good and bad. A circle of friends you will build no matter where you are if you desire (and are not a complete arse or Brit abroad ) but family is harder to get over for sure but you get used to it.

Back to the subject though, does England suck ? For me yes it does for many reasons. For you or someone else, maybe not. Its all a matter of personal perception which is hard to generalise I think.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
WTF

Oh right it's Ok to insult me eh?
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:06 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wildmark
Oh right it's Ok to insult me eh?

are you out for an argument?
why is that an insult?
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:08 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
I'm glad your happy where you are in your life. Not many can boast that. People move for different reasons though. My wife had little to stay for in the UK whereas I had loads and we were both well off in both lifestyle and financially. The decision and reason to migrate is very different for everyone I always feel.

I would agree with you in that you do have to be migration material. How would we define that ? Rolling with the punches, ability to be ultimately adaptable and a strong sense of adventure perhaps. A splash of selfishness - absolutely - life is not a rehearsal!!! Certainly not for everyone. Many friends and family often say I'd love to do that...but...

As they say, home is where the heart is. I think its easier for some to adapt to the new country by simply accepting it as what it is and realising that it is home no matter what - good and bad. A circle of friends you will build no matter where you are if you desire (and are not a complete arse or Brit abroad ) but family is harder to get over for sure but you get used to it.

Back to the subject though, does England suck ? For me yes it does for many reasons. For you or someone else, maybe not. Its all a matter of personal perception which is hard to generalise I think.

sometimes it may 'suck'....sometimes it might not?!
it depends on the person/the time/the situation.

the quote above is a good yardstick, each to their own, with their own thoughts and feelings.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:12 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

xx

Ill have you know we have a decent class of gangster where we live.

When I worked at one London hospital, the armed police had their base there.

There really were some lovely policemen there you know.

I remember I worked for a vet in Harlesden the gun capital. Our bus got half way down the road that even I wouldn't have walked down at night.

He stopped the bus in the middle of the road, took the money tray, left keys in ignition and engine running and ran off down the Harrow Road.

Staring at one another in shock, one guy said 'Do you want me to drive the bus to Marylebone?' and he busily checked the drivers cabin and as the door was open, he tried to sit in the seat.

'Don't you dare drive this bus' I yelled.

I had my dog with me and a 10 kg bag of dog food and couldn't run for the life of me.

Soon the other passengers screamed at him to get out of the cabin and whilst it was nice of him to offer to steal the bus and drive it to marylebone, it really wouldn't do.

Besides, I would have messed my knickers if he did.

Anyway, some foreign guy hands me his phone and says 'I have called the police'

Relaying to the police control that our driver had run off, she said to me 'Are you sure he was a bus driver?'

'I bloody well hope so' I squeaked going pale.

'Where are you and how many are on the bus?' Police ask

'Harrow Road and there are about 15 of us' I replied clutching my whippet.

Silence. Harrow Road in the Harlesden end is The Bronx.

'Right, get off the bus now, leave the engine running as it is and we will send a police car to check it out and secure it. Another London bus is on its way to get you' Policewoman said.

Sure enough, as I struggled with my dog food and dog, another bus drove along.

Some guy flagged it down and we all got on. Last we saw of our abandoned bus was when the police turned up and the driver of our new bus had turned off the engine and secured it till it could be collected.

Can you imagine THAT in Australia?
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:17 pm
Never going back

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Ill have you know we have a decent class of gangster where we live.

When I worked at one London hospital, the armed police had their base there.

There really were some lovely policemen there you know.

I remember I worked for a vet in Harlesden the gun capital. Our bus got half way down the road that even I wouldn't have walked down at night.

He stopped the bus in the middle of the road, took the money tray, left keys in ignition and engine running and ran off down the Harrow Road.

Staring at one another in shock, one guy said 'Do you want me to drive the bus to Marylebone?' and he busily checked the drivers cabin and as the door was open, he tried to sit in the seat.

'Don't you dare drive this bus' I yelled.

I had my dog with me and a 10 kg bag of dog food and couldn't run for the life of me.

Soon the other passengers screamed at him to get out of the cabin and whilst it was nice of him to offer to steal the bus and drive it to marylebone, it really wouldn't do.

Besides, I would have messed my knickers if he did.

Anyway, some foreign guy hands me his phone and says 'I have called the police'

Relaying to the police control that our driver had run off, she said to me 'Are you sure he was a bus driver?'

'I bloody well hope so' I squeaked going pale.

'Where are you and how many are on the bus?' Police ask

'Harrow Road and there are about 15 of us' I replied clutching my whippet.

Silence. Harrow Road in the Harlesden end is The Bronx.

'Right, get off the bus now, leave the engine running as it is and we will send a police car to check it out and secure it. Another London bus is on its way to get you' Policewoman said.

Sure enough, as I struggled with my dog food and dog, another bus drove along.

Some guy flagged it down and we all got on. Last we saw of our abandoned bus was when the police turned up and the driver of our new bus had turned off the engine and secured it till it could be collected.

Can you imagine THAT in Australia?
nope, good ol' britain!
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:20 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

nope, good ol' britain!

I often think of that man, I can still see him pelting down the road clutching the tray of money.

I do hope it was just the end of his shift.

Oooh its chilly tonight, my feet are cold.

Im refusing sleep because it means im up at 7am tomorrow.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 11:15 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: England sucks??

England sucks??
I would say that in some respects - though most definitely not all - it inhales quite strongly.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Oct 18th 2005 at 11:20 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 11:47 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

My two cents:

The UK is a great place with loads of good work opportunities, good services, a very funky pop culture with loads going go and all the usual pitfalls too.

As for Australia, this is a great place too with loads of different opportunities especially to go it alone, great weather, parks, beaches and also the usual pitfalls.

Enjoy the differences, don't worry about the comparisons.

Paul.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 12:27 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I think England and the UK suck!

It would be a great place to live if you were extremely rich, if it was always summer and if the population fell by about 50 million.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

I wasn't born in the UK but lived in England for 4 years and while I couldn't envisage myself staying on permanently, I have fond memories and think there are great things about the UK that if you have had all your life, you take for granted, things like some great shopping (Argos, Waitrose, M&S, WHSmith...), easy access to the rest of Europe, great public transport and infrastructure, overnight 1st class post, benefit, democracy, no poverty, starting work at 9am low crime, public health, education, police services etc.
I am sure there are things about it that most people would change but you can do a lot worse and there are people out there who would sell their soul to have a chance to appreciate what the UK has to offer.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:04 am
vor
Forum Regular

vor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by renth
I think England and the UK suck!

It would be a great place to live if you were extremely rich, if it was always summer and if the population fell by about 50 million.

Surely you could make anywhere a great place to live if you were rich enough. Perhaps that's why you moved to Perth - the only place cheap enough for you to feel comparatively wealthy!
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:08 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vor
Surely you could make anywhere a great place to live if you were rich enough. Perhaps that's why you moved to Perth - the only place cheap enough for you to feel comparatively wealthy!
Rubbish - Algiers, Baghdad, Bogota. Wouldn't live there for any money.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shellfish
I wasn't born in the UK but lived in England for 4 years and while I couldn't envisage myself staying on permanently, I have fond memories and think there are great things about the UK that if you have had all your life, you take for granted, things like some great shopping (Argos, Waitrose, M&S, WHSmith...), easy access to the rest of Europe, great public transport and infrastructure, overnight 1st class post, benefit, democracy, no poverty, starting work at 9am low crime, public health, education, police services etc.
I am sure there are things about it that most people would change but you can do a lot worse and there are people out there who would sell their soul to have a chance to appreciate what the UK has to offer.

I totally agree with you.....when I started the thread I wanted to catch the attention of some people thus the title of the thread........the British media have programmed many that live their to a doom and gloom attitude.....I hear it ALL the time even from friends.....does this sound familiar "this place is going to the dogs".......it spreads like the plague and if you say anything enough you start to "belive" that it's the truth
It's hard to soar like an eagle when your scratching in the crap with the turkeys........I know this post is going right over the head of a few people but some will get it and realize that if you want to change somethings in your life then you got to "CHANGE" some things in your life.........nice post bud karma on the way
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vor

you just made me spit coffee all over my puter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.