Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Emmigrating to brisbane

Emmigrating to brisbane

Old Oct 19th 2013, 1:44 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emmigrating to brisbane

Originally Posted by GAZZA77
Hi All

We are looking at coming to Brisbane late next year or early the year after just going through the visa process now
We like the look of Upper Coomera south of Brisbane does anyone know any thing about this suburb or any better ones for my wife and myself to look at
We have 2 daughters 3 and 15

Thanks

Gazza
Personally, I wouldn't choose to live in Upper Coomera. You can google "upper coomera crime rate" for my reasons why.

Are you planning a move to Brisbane or the Gold Coast? Do you have work lined up? The answers to these questions would probably influence where else you might live.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

I have to agree ref Coomera. We avoided it mainly due to what we heard about the school. so we ended up in Ormeau, A little closer to Brisbane(9kms closer) All due to a recommendation about the state school. Quite happy with it to and now eldest son attending Ormeau Woods. But may be a bit light on local casual work. But its expanding all the time as are most suburbs.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 10:29 am
Just Joined

GAZZA77 is an unknown quantity at this point

We would like to live gold coast or sunshine coast i already have a job working offshore with a good salary so it does not matter were we live for work as long as there is an airport within 1hours drive

We had not looked into the crime rate in coomera and i will do now is there any suburbs that you would recommend as my wife will be on her own when i am offshore but she is very outgoing and mixes well so making friends should not be a problem
Old Oct 19th 2013, 11:03 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

If I had to stay in the Brisbane area, near-ish to an airport, I'd probably look around Cleveland or Ormiston which are Brisbane bayside. They're small-ish communities, easy to get around, near to water (not sure about sea swimming though) and close enough to the CBD if you need to go there.

PS: There's also a good English fish and chip shop and a British foods/sweets shop at nearby Birkdale too, so probably a few Brits about for your wife to meet up with if she wants.

Last edited by brissybee; Oct 19th 2013 at 11:06 am. Reason: Added bit about fish and chips at Birkdale.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 12:52 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
If I had to stay in the Brisbane area, near-ish to an airport, I'd probably look around Cleveland or Ormiston which are Brisbane bayside. They're small-ish communities, easy to get around, near to water (not sure about sea swimming though) and close enough to the CBD if you need to go there.

PS: There's also a good English fish and chip shop and a British foods/sweets shop at nearby Birkdale too, so probably a few Brits about for your wife to meet up with if she wants.
And an Irish pub and Brummie curry restaurant.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 4:39 am
Not actually a squirrel

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
And an Irish pub and Brummie curry restaurant.
Where are they? Might pop in one day.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GAZZA77
We would like to live gold coast or sunshine coast i already have a job working offshore with a good salary so it does not matter were we live for work as long as there is an airport within 1hours drive

We had not looked into the crime rate in coomera and i will do now is there any suburbs that you would recommend as my wife will be on her own when i am offshore but she is very outgoing and mixes well so making friends should not be a problem
Crime statistics for Qld

http://www.police.qld.gov.au/forms/c...atsdesktop.asp
Old Oct 20th 2013, 1:29 pm
Banned

ainitcskarachi is an unknown quantity at this point

Adjusting is the way of life. IMO be positive and if you crave social interaction to carefully choose good neighbors by inviting them to your house.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 2:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ainitcskarachi
Adjusting is the way of life. IMO be positive and if you crave social interaction to carefully choose good neighbors by inviting them to your house.
You've obviously never met my neighbours. Our social interaction consists of 'change the battery in your effing smoke alarm before I rip it off the ceiling' and there is no way I would invite them into my home
Old Oct 20th 2013, 2:32 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You've obviously never met my neighbours. Our social interaction consists of 'change the battery in your effing smoke alarm before I rip it off the ceiling' and there is no way I would invite them into my home
Talking of smoke detector batteries - the one above me is beeping - it's about 15m - 20m up - how the hell do you get a new battery in that
Old Oct 20th 2013, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

Plyall is an unknown quantity at this point

H, I've only just joined this site (literally!) this is the post post I came across & honestly could have written it myself. We're making the move in April, have two little people of 3 & 1 & my husband will also be working away from home (on the coal seam gas project). I traveled out to Oz in the summer for 8 weeks & I think we're going to look at the Sunshine Coast when we get out there. As for feeling isolated I have EXACTLY the same fears, although my hubby has been away from home since April & i can't feel any more isolated than I do now I suppose!

Not much help but just wanted you to know that you're not alone
Old Oct 20th 2013, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Plyall
H, I've only just joined this site (literally!) this is the post post I came across & honestly could have written it myself. We're making the move in April, have two little people of 3 & 1 & my husband will also be working away from home (on the coal seam gas project). I traveled out to Oz in the summer for 8 weeks & I think we're going to look at the Sunshine Coast when we get out there. As for feeling isolated I have EXACTLY the same fears, although my hubby has been away from home since April & i can't feel any more isolated than I do now I suppose!

Can you please organise to live next door to sausten22

Welcome to British Expats
Old Oct 20th 2013, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Plyall is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the welcome fish.01, & yes, seems like the perfect solution
Old Oct 20th 2013, 11:25 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Plyall

when you have kids of that age, I think it is probably easier to make friends really. Sunny Coast is a very family friendly spot. I would just get out there and take the kids to parks and other activities and before you know it you'll no doubt be making regular acquaintances with other similar people.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 8:31 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
Where are they? Might pop in one day.
http://nearyouau.com/b1222868/073822...3822-2100.html

http://www.truelocal.com.au/business...urant/birkdale

Both right near each other

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.