Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Emmigrating to brisbane

Emmigrating to brisbane

Old Oct 17th 2013, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

sausten22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emmigrating to brisbane

Hi everybody, we currently live in the uk but we are potentially emigrating to Brisbane early next year as my partner will have work there. I would be keen to talk to other people who have done this, we have 2 children and my partner will be working away Monday to Friday and back on weekends. Is there a good community there? I'm worried I'll be isolated as I don't have any family or friends there. Any advice would be great.

Susie
Old Oct 17th 2013, 9:56 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emmigrating to brisbane

Originally Posted by sausten22
Hi everybody, we currently live in the uk but we are potentially emigrating to Brisbane early next year as my partner will have work there. I would be keen to talk to other people who have done this, we have 2 children and my partner will be working away Monday to Friday and back on weekends. Is there a good community there? I'm worried I'll be isolated as I don't have any family or friends there. Any advice would be great.

Susie
Hi Susie and welcome

Do you know where about in Brisbane you'll be heading yet?
Old Oct 17th 2013, 9:56 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Susie
hi and welcome to BE
Do you have any idea which suburb he may be working in? Brisbane is huge
Old Oct 17th 2013, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

Hi thanks for the welcome.

He will be working in Central Queensland mon-fri and staying there. Which suburbs are good to live in? My partner is asking is $120k salary good for a family of 4 to live on in brisbane? Sorry so many questions :-)
Old Oct 17th 2013, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

Some may(will) argue but I think you will do fine on that income. May help if you get some casual work to bolster the income which will also help you expand your social network. We rather like where we live 45kms South of Brizzy but you will find loads of info on suburbs on here. Start with a 6 month rental somewhere which you think fits. We are doing well on a combined of 125K plus. As is often said it depends on how you cut your cloth. But feel free to ask for more details. We came over in Dec 08 2x boys now 11 and 15.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

I've been out of work for some time is it easy to get work there unskilled? Also in school hours? My boys are 6 and 3 so still quite young :-) how difficult is it moving away from family? Also what's the average household bills per month there?

Last edited by sausten22; Oct 17th 2013 at 10:46 pm. Reason: Asking new question
Old Oct 17th 2013, 11:08 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I think with a young child (3 year old) not in school you may well have a good opportunity to meet other Mums in a similar position. A lot of Mums I know have Mums groups and toddler activities 2-3 times per week, which is a great way to meet people and make friends. Part-time jobs in school hours are hard to come by due to the number of people that want them but you mat get lucky. If you are sensible then you shouldn't need to work on $125K.

There's no standard for a weekly bill amount but your biggest outgoing will be rent and you should be able to find something very nice for $500- $600 (3 beds are available from $400+ depending on suburb). I would look for a suburb with good transport links so you can hop on a bus or train to get around easily and it may also be the easiest way for your husband to get to/from the airport each week. I live in the Western Suburbs but there are people on this site from all corners of Brisbane who each love their area equally.

Best of luck!
Old Oct 18th 2013, 12:34 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

$120k is a fine salary. I am on about this and have three kids. I assume if he will be working away in Central QLD then he will be in some sort of mining field?

If he is working away during the week then the beauty you have is that you don't necessarily have to limit yourself to Brisbane. You could choose to live on the Sunny Coast if you fancied. You would be away from the hustle and bustle of the big city and by the beach. But then the hustle and bustle might be exactly what you are looking for?

Personally, if I were in this situation, I would be living on the Sunny Coast for the lifestyle choice. Your husband would be able to fly out of Maroochydore airport for work
Old Oct 18th 2013, 1:14 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

What sort of job will your husband have? Away Mon-Fri and home weekends doesn't sound like a mining/gas field job as most of those are 2 weeks on / one week off (or even 2 weeks off) - the work doesn't shut down at weekends. Will he be flying in and out? if so you should be looking at suburbs within easy reach of the airport, either north of the river (Banyo, Nundah, Wavell Heights, Deagon for example) or south of the river close to the Gateway motorway (e.g. Carindale, Mt Gravatt, Camp Hill).

Brisbane is a good place to live, but as with any move with young children your ability to make friends and settle in quickly will depend on your neighbours and the parents you meet at school, and these can be good or bad in any suburb.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

He will be working for siemens on gas turbines as a contractor to the site. That's my biggest worry if we move to an area with bad or unsociable neighbours it will be a lonely life for me and that's not what I want. I guess the best thing to do is to look into where we would live
Old Oct 18th 2013, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Most places north side are fine.. Within 5km of cbd maybe not too affordable but 5-15km out there's plenty of decent affordable areas!
Old Oct 18th 2013, 10:32 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

He will be working for siemens on gas turbines as a contractor to the site. That's my biggest worry if we move to an area with bad or unsociable neighbours it will be a lonely life for me and that's not what I want. I guess the best thing to do is to look into where we would live
Unfortunately the visual look of the neighborhood is no indication of the friendliness of the people - and the 'best' areas are often the least friendly as the inhabitants are more interested in 'status' than in you as a person. It depends on you as much as the neighbours; if you are outgoing and make friends easily (like my wife!) then you will be fine in most areas, if you are shy and introverted you will struggle.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 10:43 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Susie
I agree with those who say $120K should be a comfortable wage to live on. Good luck with the move. My best advice would be to treat it as an adventure. If you're worried about missing UK family, I'd keep rentals and all other contracts short term when you first arrive and always make sure you can afford flights home. Having those funds up your sleeve should give you peace of mind.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

GAZZA77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

We are looking at coming to Brisbane late next year or early the year after just going through the visa process now
We like the look of Upper Coomera south of Brisbane does anyone know any thing about this suburb or any better ones for my wife and myself to look at
We have 2 daughters 3 and 15

Thanks

Gazza
Old Oct 18th 2013, 11:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Susie
I don't know that areas and neighbourhoods are in themselves friendly. There will be a mixture of people in any neighbourhood and some will be friendly and others will keep themselves to themselves.

The likelihood of you finding company / friends is all down to you, how easy do you normally find it to make friends? Honestly appraise yourself, not everyone does find it easy to make friends, usually because they are shy and reserved and not because they are horrible people.

Being devil's advocate here, if you believe that you are somebody that takes time to make friends, then your concerns about being isolated are ones that you really should take very seriously in view of your husband's work situation. I have seen plenty of wives struggle when they move to Australia and hubby takes a FIFO job. I don't want to frighten you here, but you obviously want to weigh this up carefully and I think you need to be realistic.

On the other hand if you generally make friends easily, then you will here as well, no matter what suburb you are in. You will possibly make friends through the children and children activities. I also have seen plenty of ex pat meet ups like coffee mornings and play dates aimed at stay at home mums, so you can tap into those.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.