Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electricity Bills

Electricity Bills

Old Nov 2nd 2006, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricity Bills

Originally Posted by Nikki
It is funny how much it seems our bills vary, I do not have a tumble dryer, everything goes on the line! But washer is on alot (5 of us). The electric people seem dead set on it being the pool bumping ours up, so will look at changing to off peak and see if it makes a difference!

I must admit I didn't even give any thoughts to the costs of washer etc....I ran the water just like I would at home, washed when not had a full load. The lady at the electric board was helpful and gave me tips I had not thought of - must get into this energy and water saving thing, it might keep me busy and leave me less time feeling sorry for myself whilst lonely during the day!!

Thanks again everyone for your replies.

Nikki

I'll send my hubby over for a few hours a day, you'll soon want to be on your own during the day
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 12:30 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Wendy
Have you had a gas bill yet?, mine was $80 for the same 9 weeks as the electric bill, so putting both together it isn't all that bad I don't think.
No, I think it's due tho.

Yeah I've tried to guess what it'll be but haven't a clue really.

$80 would be nice.

So my elec bill guess was $450 (random I think) so it wasn't far from what we had, but I wonder how much to expect on top with the Summer bill ?!? I have a feeling the air con just might be on a tad more often than it is currently ...

I guess from $450 up to $600, but haven't a clue really.

Would be interesting to know tho!
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 12:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
No, I think it's due tho.

Yeah I've tried to guess what it'll be but haven't a clue really.

$80 would be nice.

So my elec bill guess was $450 (random I think) so it wasn't far from what we had, but I wonder how much to expect on top with the Summer bill ?!? I have a feeling the air con just might be on a tad more often than it is currently ...

I guess from $450 up to $600, but haven't a clue really.

Would be interesting to know tho!
I'm hoping not to have the aircon on at all, I'll just have to go to the pub to cool down
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 12:42 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Wendy
I'm hoping not to have the aircon on at all, I'll just have to go to the pub to cool down

Yeah me too to be honest. This house seems to be slightly elevated over one direction and it seems to cop a bit of a breeze. With front of the house windows and rear windows open we get a decent 'through air'.

I have visions of the breezes dying down in Summer! ... :scared:
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 12:49 am
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds excessive. We live a large 2 bed apartment (no air) but did have the heater on a lot over winter (it's a big heater, fairly efficient though) plus I have to sleep with a fan by the bed for background noise (too many years of living by the surf) and in winter that fan was pumping out heat as well. Plus I have a pedestal fan which is on abot 3 times a week while I 'spin' on the bike.

We have no tumble dryer (got access but never use), we have our own automatic washing machine and we bought one with a 4 star energy rating and has a cold/cold setting which we always use. We do a lot of washing due to my training, and our bill is never more than $200 per qtr. (no kids though )

This is in Sydney. Perhaps regional areas are more? service fees and all that?

Does your phone bill follow the electricity bill the very next day? mine always does
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 1:12 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andrew63
Now that is GOOD. What is the secret?

We pay around $200/month ($600/qtr).
We know people that pay less but also some that pay up to $800/qtr - but they have a/c on if the sun is out and always tumble dry clothes (really!) so the sun doesn't fade them.

Andrew
Hi Andrew,

We have aircon but we hate it so dont use it. I dont see any point in being cool indoors only to be hit with the 35+ temp when u open the door. We have a huge covered patio, big eaves on the house and the windows and doors are open 24/7 from now until next June. We picked a house design that had loads of windows and doors to create a nice breeze throughout. I have tried to buy energy efficient appliances. I run the pool pump just enough to keep the pool water nice and healthy, some peeps run them for too long just cos it tells you to do that in the manual. If you keep getting your pool water checked then you have more control over the time the pump NEEDS to be on. Also the house was fitted with low energy fluro bulbs which I hate as they take ages to become bright. Oh yeah and I shout at eveybody to tuen the bloody lights off lol. It will be a bit more expensive I imagine during the summer as I will need to have to pool pump on a wee bit more
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 1:43 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nikki
Hi

We have just had our electricity bill in for our 1st month in our rental, for one month it has come in at $217. Now I have nothing to compare it with so to me it could be cheap, however, the customer services rep told me it was expensive for a 3 bed rental. She asked if we had a pool, to which I replied yes and she said that was probably why and we need to look at rewiring to the off peak tariff?????

Means nothing to me, but had to ask you guys who are already here:

Is this expensive?

What do you guys pay on average?

Apparently our hot water for the month is $50 which is under the average for a family of our size (5 of us).

Thanks

Nikki
Just got mine and it's one of the lowest we have had at $574 for 3 months. Normal during summer with the pool and aircon on is > $800 a qtr.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 5:55 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

A pool pump shouldn't be that expensive to run - obviously heating a pool will use lot of energy.

A pool cover saves a lot of heat and a hell of a lot of water, especially in breezy weather. Our water consumption to the pool went down 90% with a cover - and all that replacement water has to be heated up too!
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 6:25 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
A pool pump shouldn't be that expensive to run - obviously heating a pool will use lot of energy.

A pool cover saves a lot of heat and a hell of a lot of water, especially in breezy weather. Our water consumption to the pool went down 90% with a cover - and all that replacement water has to be heated up too!
We have a chlorinator so thats about 800 watts an hour including the pump. In summer we need it on for between 8 and 10 hours so about 8kwh a day! Soon adds up. I find the biggest culpret and it accounts for a quarter of the bill is the 12v downlighters! There are so many of them and there's about 4 to a switch. Not too easy to get rid off either as they leave holes everywhere if you take them out.