British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Electricity Bills (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/electricity-bills-405438/)

Nikki Nov 1st 2006 8:39 am

Electricity Bills

Hi

We have just had our electricity bill in for our 1st month in our rental, for one month it has come in at $217. Now I have nothing to compare it with so to me it could be cheap, however, the customer services rep told me it was expensive for a 3 bed rental. She asked if we had a pool, to which I replied yes and she said that was probably why and we need to look at rewiring to the off peak tariff?????

Means nothing to me, but had to ask you guys who are already here:

Is this expensive?

What do you guys pay on average?

Apparently our hot water for the month is $50 which is under the average for a family of our size (5 of us).

Thanks

Nikki

midwifetanya Nov 1st 2006 8:46 am

Re: Electricity Bills

Originally Posted by Nikki
Hi

We have just had our electricity bill in for our 1st month in our rental, for one month it has come in at $217. Now I have nothing to compare it with so to me it could be cheap, however, the customer services rep told me it was expensive for a 3 bed rental. She asked if we had a pool, to which I replied yes and she said that was probably why and we need to look at rewiring to the off peak tariff?????

Is this expensive?

Apparently our hot water for the month is $50 which is under the average for a family of our size (5 of us).

Thanks

Nikki

Hi Nikki,

Your story sounds identical to mine!!
We are renting a five bed with pool...just got a bill for $200(for one month)....I thought there is no way this can be right...OH (an aussie) said that's crazy....he asked around at work and they all agreed...I called Energex and asked them what was going on....I discovered that we had been billed for the last tenants usage prior to them leaving (they hadn't given a final reading, so they charged us for their final month at the property)
I'm still battling with them over our 'estimated' usage now.......nightmare!! :rolleyes:
Tanya

Sleeping Beauty Nov 1st 2006 9:07 am

Hi

Is this expensive?

Thanks

Nikki

sorry nikki, ours has been fixed at the moment at $55 per month direct debit, but we dont know yet, it might go up or it might go down.

but.............................we havent got a POOL!!!!!!!

kind of makes up for your extra visitors to your rental?!! :D ;) `

might get the little un a blow up one what she can sit in :D

.........still, it does seem high

m
xxx

Siren & Brian Nov 1st 2006 9:10 am

Hi

Is this expensive?

Thanks

Nikki

We r a family of 6 and pay about $80 a month with a pool, water bed etc.

We have a smart meter and make sure the pool runs at the cheaper times like before 6am and after 6 pm etc

Also how much of that bill is a Connection fee?

wintersgills Nov 1st 2006 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
We r a family of 6 and pay about $80 a month with a pool, water bed etc.

We have a smart meter and make sure the pool runs at the cheaper times like before 6am and after 6 pm etc

Also how much of that bill is a Connection fee?

we get a tarriff 33 i think hot water lasts good only on half the time cost us half of before they also change it over free :D

Nikki Nov 1st 2006 9:37 am

Thanks for the replies guys!

No mention of connection fee on the bill. I did wonder about previous tenants, however, electric people said the previous tenants used approx $195 per month!

I had arranged to pay $100 every 2 weeks thinking I would be in credit, but at this rate we will still be in debt to them! I need to look at a more cost effective way of running the pool I think to see if this is bumping things up.

Michelle, if this is the added cost, sod the pool, I will be off buying a blow up one aswell! :p

OH has just gone to bed, switched off nearly all lights and unplugged everything at the sockets!!!!!

Nikki

sj oldfield Nov 1st 2006 10:09 am

Ours is that amount, thats with the spa running, and the kids leaving all ther lights on!!!

Sleeping Beauty Nov 1st 2006 10:11 am

Michelle, if this is the added cost, sod the pool, I will be off buying a blow up one aswell! :p

OH has just gone to bed, switched off nearly all lights and unplugged everything at the sockets!!!!!

Nikki[/QUOTE]

...sounds like my dad!!!

Rudi Nov 1st 2006 9:36 pm

OMG!!! Mine is soooo expensive compared to yours!! We pay about $800 - 900 for 3 months!!! AND we have a solar water heater so we are not paying for our water to be heated for much of the year!

Ah well, I guess I might have to turn the aircon off a bit more!

Rudi

biggy Nov 1st 2006 9:50 pm

we have a 4 bed with pool no solar heating....pool pump is on 6 hours a day, our leckie is around the $320 a quarter

andrew63 Nov 1st 2006 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by biggy
we have a 4 bed with pool no solar heating....pool pump is on 6 hours a day, our leckie is around the $320 a quarter

Now that is GOOD. What is the secret?

We pay around $200/month ($600/qtr).
We know people that pay less but also some that pay up to $800/qtr - but they have a/c on if the sun is out and always tumble dry clothes (really!) so the sun doesn't fade them.

Andrew

debbiemc Nov 1st 2006 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Ours is that amount, thats with the spa running, and the kids leaving all ther lights on!!!

didnt know you had a spa missus!! you know hilary a spa isnt when you trump in the bath :p :D

Paul&Nic Nov 2nd 2006 12:09 am

Just received 1st bill for 3 months - $489

We do have ducted air con, but to be honest it hasn't been used yet really.

We have gas for the hob and heating of water so not sure what is costing so much with ours ... :confused:

We was told that the pool pump cost is minimal ... :rolleyes:

Washing machine is on a lot tho!

Wendy Nov 2nd 2006 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
Just received 1st bill for 3 months - $489

We do have ducted air con, but to be honest it hasn't been used yet really.

We have gas for the hob and heating of water so not sure what is costing so much with ours ... :confused:

We was told that the pool pump cost is minimal ... :rolleyes:

Washing machine is on a lot tho!

That's about the same as mine was for 9 weeks. We did have the air con on hot though most of the time :o

Should be a lot less this time as I've only had it on once this month.

Have you had a gas bill yet?, mine was $80 for the same 9 weeks as the electric bill, so putting both together it isn't all that bad I don't think.

Nikki Nov 2nd 2006 12:21 am

It is funny how much it seems our bills vary, I do not have a tumble dryer, everything goes on the line! But washer is on alot (5 of us). The electric people seem dead set on it being the pool bumping ours up, so will look at changing to off peak and see if it makes a difference!

I must admit I didn't even give any thoughts to the costs of washer etc....I ran the water just like I would at home, washed when not had a full load. The lady at the electric board was helpful and gave me tips I had not thought of - must get into this energy and water saving thing, it might keep me busy and leave me less time feeling sorry for myself whilst lonely during the day!! :p

Thanks again everyone for your replies.

Nikki