Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Don't want to get on that plane....

Don't want to get on that plane....

Old Aug 8th 2012, 1:24 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't want to get on that plane....

If you are used to Melbourne/Sydney/Brisbane, Perth can be a shock! At least you don't have to go searching for a petrol station open at weekends any more.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Back on topic - if you dread getting on the plane, then don't! Put out feelers and see if you can get a job in UK. If you can, then you win. If you can't then you know you don't have a choice at this point but you can keep on trying from the security of what you have in Aus. There's nothing in the rule book that stops you moving on to UK. I didn't return to Aus from my last holiday and once the initial OMG what have I done? feelings had subsided I felt quite liberated - but I didn't have a job that I couldn't quit. Good luck whichever way you decide to step next.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I didn't return to Aus from my last holiday and once the initial OMG what have I done? feelings had subsided I felt quite liberated -
Way to go

So many times I have wanted to do just that, but having 3 kids, a business and australian husband soooo holds you back
Old Aug 9th 2012, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

ChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to all

Sorry if you thought that I was overly critical of Perth, it certainly wasn't meant as personal criticism moreover my/our thoughts and feelings since we've been here.

We lived in the south of England and were incredibly lucky (we now see this) to be able to shop in Waitrose, from farmers markets and fresh from farm shops. I just don't see the quality in comparison here. We recently had a w/e in the Margaret River and it was a JOY!! The food was light, fresh and tasty and colourful. I compare this to meals we've had all over Perth and its surrounding area, where food has been bland and sometimes stodgy. I find shopping very boring here both for food as well as clothes.

My husband is an engineer, who has worked all over Australia, sometimes in mines and save for the odd exception, he reports very poor attitudes to drink/drugs/speeding on the job. In fact he's at one facility now, not a mine, where they actively try to hit kangaroos and kill on average 10 a month. He has reported that ppl regularly drink cider and smoke marijuana on the job, whilst driving, as the random drug tests are too random lol.

I have encountered a HUGE amount of racism and bigoted opinions here, not only towards the Aboriginals but towards the English and New Zealanders as well. It's based on ignorance but I find it difficult to tolerate. I've heard 9 yr olds, who have heard it from their parents, saying "Oh those Aboriginals are kicking up a fuss again..pfff" about the Tent Embassies. I see ppl commenting on Facebook "Bloody Abo's kicking off on the bus again #landissues". I am just appalled and saddened. I watched on ABC 'Australia; drunk, racist and dumb?...' can't remember the rest of the title, but my oh my. I have never heard such terrible ignorance.

With regards to the schools, I have been appalled at what I've seen in a large number of schools. The results (naplan) are dreadful for a large number but also there is a total lack of quantity and quality. Check results on the myschool website. I know of many GCSE and ALevel pupils who have come over here with their family but who have returned to the UK alone after a matter of weeks or months because the education has not been of a comparable standard.

My daughter attended one of the best schools in the western suburbs, where ppl are clamouring to get their kids into however the lessons were at least 2 yrs behind what she had been studying prior to coming and the quantity of work she produced was atrocious - IE such a poor amount I could fit it into a plastic sleeve. There was also no music provision except for the recorder once every two weeks, art was on a 'when we have time basis', lessons consisted of maths, english and sports. There was no all round education, for example around Anzac Day or WWII etc. It was just SO minimal and poor. Only one field trip per term.

I compare this to a letter my daughter has just received from her old school in the UK, informing her of everything they have done this term: ancient greek week making olive oil/jewellery/soap/mosaics/medicine/clothes, a trip to a woodmill activity centre learning how to rope climb, geography day looking at geology of rocks, French day, science day learning about crystals, the whole class has learnt the clarinet this year and has performed a concert for parents. This is just a term!

Compare 3 yr old kindy to pre-school, or kindy to Reception or to Yr 1. For us, education is really important and we don't feel that we can get that quality here. I read recently that 70% of WA Uni's are full of foreign students who will leave at the end of their degree and that fewer and fewer WA students are attending, opting instead for the easy option of the mines. In fact this article, stated that WA children were becoming more poorly educated rather than better.

We have lived in 3 houses since we've lived here and they've all been poor, one in West Perth, one in Subiaco and now one in the northern suburbs. Single pane glass, very draughty, doors that don't fit, no insulation etc. This means they're UBER cold in winter and scorching in summer. You have no option but to use the aircon, which is disastrous for the environment as well as economically.

We have made the decision to go back next year but in the process we'll try and have a blast and hopefully the kids will have a great time. Parts of WA are immensely beautiful and the wildlife is amazing, yet for us this isn't enough to keep us here.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 9:16 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateOrange
Sorry if you thought that I was overly critical of Perth, it certainly wasn't meant as personal criticism moreover my/our thoughts and feelings since we've been here.

We lived in the south of England and were incredibly lucky (we now see this) to be able to shop in Waitrose, from farmers markets and fresh from farm shops. I just don't see the quality in comparison here. We recently had a w/e in the Margaret River and it was a JOY!! The food was light, fresh and tasty and colourful. I compare this to meals we've had all over Perth and its surrounding area, where food has been bland and sometimes stodgy. I find shopping very boring here both for food as well as clothes.

My husband is an engineer, who has worked all over Australia, sometimes in mines and save for the odd exception, he reports very poor attitudes to drink/drugs/speeding on the job. In fact he's at one facility now, not a mine, where they actively try to hit kangaroos and kill on average 10 a month. He has reported that ppl regularly drink cider and smoke marijuana on the job, whilst driving, as the random drug tests are too random lol.

I have encountered a HUGE amount of racism and bigoted opinions here, not only towards the Aboriginals but towards the English and New Zealanders as well. It's based on ignorance but I find it difficult to tolerate. I've heard 9 yr olds, who have heard it from their parents, saying "Oh those Aboriginals are kicking up a fuss again..pfff" about the Tent Embassies. I see ppl commenting on Facebook "Bloody Abo's kicking off on the bus again #landissues". I am just appalled and saddened. I watched on ABC 'Australia; drunk, racist and dumb?...' can't remember the rest of the title, but my oh my. I have never heard such terrible ignorance.

With regards to the schools, I have been appalled at what I've seen in a large number of schools. The results (naplan) are dreadful for a large number but also there is a total lack of quantity and quality. Check results on the myschool website. I know of many GCSE and ALevel pupils who have come over here with their family but who have returned to the UK alone after a matter of weeks or months because the education has not been of a comparable standard.

My daughter attended one of the best schools in the western suburbs, where ppl are clamouring to get their kids into however the lessons were at least 2 yrs behind what she had been studying prior to coming and the quantity of work she produced was atrocious - IE such a poor amount I could fit it into a plastic sleeve. There was also no music provision except for the recorder once every two weeks, art was on a 'when we have time basis', lessons consisted of maths, english and sports. There was no all round education, for example around Anzac Day or WWII etc. It was just SO minimal and poor. Only one field trip per term.

I compare this to a letter my daughter has just received from her old school in the UK, informing her of everything they have done this term: ancient greek week making olive oil/jewellery/soap/mosaics/medicine/clothes, a trip to a woodmill activity centre learning how to rope climb, geography day looking at geology of rocks, French day, science day learning about crystals, the whole class has learnt the clarinet this year and has performed a concert for parents. This is just a term!

Compare 3 yr old kindy to pre-school, or kindy to Reception or to Yr 1. For us, education is really important and we don't feel that we can get that quality here. I read recently that 70% of WA Uni's are full of foreign students who will leave at the end of their degree and that fewer and fewer WA students are attending, opting instead for the easy option of the mines. In fact this article, stated that WA children were becoming more poorly educated rather than better.

We have lived in 3 houses since we've lived here and they've all been poor, one in West Perth, one in Subiaco and now one in the northern suburbs. Single pane glass, very draughty, doors that don't fit, no insulation etc. This means they're UBER cold in winter and scorching in summer. You have no option but to use the aircon, which is disastrous for the environment as well as economically.

We have made the decision to go back next year but in the process we'll try and have a blast and hopefully the kids will have a great time. Parts of WA are immensely beautiful and the wildlife is amazing, yet for us this isn't enough to keep us here.
Did they play Mozart's Piece for 35 Clarinets in A minor?
Old Aug 10th 2012, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I cant comment on schools as i dont have school age children. But speaking to friends i would believe it.

With regard to the rest i think you have nailed it pretty well
Old Aug 13th 2012, 6:53 am
Just Joined

grapii is an unknown quantity at this point

We've only recently moved from the UK, and as you live in the northern suburbs of Perth. Although loving the lifestyle, I have to agree with most of your comments, add to that the impact of missing family and friends. We recently reached a low point and discussed going back to UK, and though we're still here, the option to return is still open. And because of this we've decided to continue renting and not commit financially. I work in IT and my wife runs the house with two small children (5yrs and 2yrs). Although my salary is much better than in the UK, the cost of living is expensive. We hardly eat out or get take aways and we're watching the pennies, something we've never had to do previously.

Not sure what the future holds for us, we'll most likely give it one more year before we discuss the options again.

I would be very interested in hearing about your experiences, PM me and maybe we can have a chat, would love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks
Raj
Old Aug 13th 2012, 10:35 am
Banned

Location: Portsmouth, well I went there once, I think, and Australia
Wendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really nice

So why did you move to Perth knowing how isolated and hot/cold it gets?