Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Don't want to get on that plane....

Don't want to get on that plane....

Old Jul 29th 2012, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

ANH100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Don't want to get on that plane....

I moved to Aus 6 years ago and temporally moved back to UK for 6 months. I'm loving being home and all the old feelings of dread and disappointment are returning at the thought of this time here in the UK coming to an end. When i first moved to aus I felt homesick for so long, I eventually came to love aus and got my citizenship etc however I'm scared that i'm going to go through that feeling again when i return. Its about missing family and all that comes with living in the UK....i'm really concerned that i wont want to get on that plane when the time comes.

Has anybody gone through this and if so is there anything you did to make it easier to return? Also does anyone know if there are any services/products on this stuff that can help me? books? Sites? etc? All i can find on line is practical info about moving to aus.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

ANH100
Old Jul 29th 2012, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't want to get on that plane....

ius there any reason yo have to get on the plane, or can you stay longer?
Old Jul 29th 2012, 2:52 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

If you really struggle,call the A team,they always managed to get Mr T on the plane
Old Jul 29th 2012, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
If you really struggle,call the A team,they always managed to get Mr T on the plane
love it.... if only Mr T would come with me to OZ!! I love that man
Old Jul 29th 2012, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pomster
ius there any reason yo have to get on the plane, or can you stay longer?
im on mat leave out here at the moment and my job is back there. Husbands job very flexible. but mine is in melb....cant really go without it....
Old Jul 29th 2012, 3:25 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ANH100
love it.... if only Mr T would come with me to OZ!! I love that man
Good,so don't give me none of yer jibba jabba foo,get some nuts ya hear,or you will feel ma paaiiiin !!!
Old Jul 29th 2012, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

im on mat leave out here at the moment and my job is back there. Husbands job very flexible. but mine is in melb....cant really go without it....
Ah hormones at work! They stuff you up a while.
I cried at the thought of returning to work after 6 months- no one else could look after my precious bub- so I managed to extend it out to a year! It was much easier then.

(Now she is 5 I am happy for anyone else to look after her!!!)
Old Jul 29th 2012, 10:21 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

I moved to Aus 6 years ago and temporally moved back to UK for 6 months. I'm loving being home and all the old feelings of dread and disappointment are returning at the thought of this time here in the UK coming to an end. When i first moved to aus I felt homesick for so long, I eventually came to love aus and got my citizenship etc however I'm scared that i'm going to go through that feeling again when i return. Its about missing family and all that comes with living in the UK....i'm really concerned that i wont want to get on that plane when the time comes.

Has anybody gone through this and if so is there anything you did to make it easier to return? Also does anyone know if there are any services/products on this stuff that can help me? books? Sites? etc? All i can find on line is practical info about moving to aus.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

ANH100
You may have all this set up???

We have a SKYPE OUT number, which is a local number in Perth that we call to be connected to our friends and family in the UK.
$6.99 per month and the calls are unlimited.
We phone parents and friends everyday, I use my commute time in the car (my mobile calls are free) my wife uses the home phone (our Telstra package gives us free local calls)
With this phone connection always available, it doesn't feel like they are far away.

Then on the evenings or weekends, get on Skype or Apple Facetime (iphone,Ipad) and see each other. My mate lives in the UK and girlfriend in Florida, and they sit and have meals together and share and glass of wine... well almost.

ASUS make a WIFI camera phone if your parents don't have a computer (don't know if it's any good) http://event.asus.com/eeevideophone/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd25Fkia-e0

Last edited by h2oskineil; Jul 29th 2012 at 10:24 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

I got my technology über-challenged parents an iPod Touch for Christmas. They can't do anything else on it, but can make/receive FaceTime calls on it. They love it - they can see Mini daily (although have trouble grasping that he sometimes doesn't have a lot to say.......
Old Jul 30th 2012, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Family of 3
I got my technology über-challenged parents an iPod Touch for Christmas. They can't do anything else on it, but can make/receive FaceTime calls on it. They love it - they can see Mini daily (although have trouble grasping that he sometimes doesn't have a lot to say.......
thats very cute.... yes ive set everyone up here with technology I think its more the thought of being so far away... and the future of travel with kids...
Old Jul 30th 2012, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

thats very cute.... yes ive set everyone up here with technology I think its more the thought of being so far away... and the future of travel with kids...
we have travelled heaps with little Miss P- it is never as bad as you think ...and gets easier as they get to the stage of being entranced by TV. Miss P aged 5 has made 4 Aus-UK trips and they are OK- not great but OK.

It is also hard being away from family but I found I made more friends since becoming a mum and have more AU support than I did as a non-parent.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

ChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to all

If you're really starting to dread it, don't come back?

We have been here for 8 months now and decided at 6 months that we would go back. Now we're just counting down the days. If I had the opportunity to go back now, I would.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ChocolateOrange
If you're really starting to dread it, don't come back?

We have been here for 8 months now and decided at 6 months that we would go back. Now we're just counting down the days. If I had the opportunity to go back now, I would.
That must be really hard I totally understand the feeling. just out of interest why did you move in the first place?
Old Aug 6th 2012, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

ChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to all

We came for a better quality of life but we're based in WA and the cost of living means our life is much harder, added to the fact that the education is awful, fresh food is horrible, houses are Very poorly built, night life is non-existent, meals out are a bit of a joke (V expensive for mediocre quality) etc etc.

We have a lot of problems with education, meaning I now have 2 kids who are home-school and both of whom are desperate to go back to the UK.. My husband is exceedingly bored in his job and misses qualified professionals who take pride in the work they do.

I am sure that had we moved to the East coast we would have been in a better place and could have made a better go of things, but this isn't possible.

Are you back here now?
Old Aug 6th 2012, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateOrange
We came for a better quality of life but we're based in WA and the cost of living means our life is much harder, added to the fact that the education is awful, fresh food is horrible, houses are Very poorly built, night life is non-existent, meals out are a bit of a joke (V expensive for mediocre quality) etc etc.

We have a lot of problems with education, meaning I now have 2 kids who are home-school and both of whom are desperate to go back to the UK.. My husband is exceedingly bored in his job and misses qualified professionals who take pride in the work they do.

I am sure that had we moved to the East coast we would have been in a better place and could have made a better go of things, but this isn't possible.

Are you back here now?
Somebody saying they are moving for a "better quality of life" always makes me think "uh-oh"...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.