Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Don't Come to Australia

Don't Come to Australia

Old Mar 23rd 2010, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Come to Australia

Australia is'nt for everyone.Good luck to where ever you happen to go next.I hope hope it works out for you.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

It might be interesting to see the previous six countries the OP has tried to live in so we can make a comparison to Australia.

Until then it's nothing more than trolling.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
is that a case of great moderators thinking alike or what.......
Sorry - forgot that everyone else is a bit more PC than the Middle East..
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

IandM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Newbie_and_Leaving
I've been in Melbourne two months, my experiences:

1. Customs & Excise charge the earth for inspection and do not do their job. They are trying to charge me $850 for destroying a plastic bucket that they say contains "traces of chemicals" - it's detergent you morons!!

2. Job agents are the worst I have ever encountered, bad manners is just one of their traits.

3. Tram inspectors behave like The Gestapo and are racist, they bully old people and are afraid of youths who DO evade paying.

4. The train operators cannot even gets their clocks in synch let alone run a service!

5. An internet connection is the most expensive of any of the 6 countries I have lived in.

6. The Govt allow a duopoly for the supermarkets, therefore any item is twice the price it should be.

7. Every public official I have had to deal with wants money to do their job.

And I haven't even started on the cost to live here....

Australia - great place to holiday a nightmare to live, I'm off and so is my taxable income.
Hi We're moving to Melbourne in 3 weeks - your message was an interesting read - hoping to stay for more than 8 weeks tho! Gonna keep an open mind
and a smile on our faces - find it always helps when dealing with people. Good luck in where-ever you go next. PS - Why did you take a bucket all that way- don't they sell them in Oz??

Does anyone have any good news about Melbourne? I do recall enjoying it very much last year when we went for a reckie!!
Looking forward to the move

IandM
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I sure was, truth be known I enjoyed my short stay enormously. Bone tinglingly cold but excellent beer, great food, nice scenery & wonderful company What more could I ask for
..... great sex!
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

miss_morph is an unknown quantity at this point

Pah-hahahaha!

8 weeks!

toodle-pip!
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spart
I suggest you check your geography. What part of southern Sydney excludes Wollongong?
Tell ya what "mate". Get your arse into the any of the pubs around Port Kembla on a Saturday night and start telling the residents of Australia's ninth largest city that they live in "Southern Sydney".

I will happily chip in towards your ongoing medical costs.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 9:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Oh cut out the name calling, you know better than that.
Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Damn... I missed the name calling bit.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 9:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by spart
Sorry - forgot that everyone else is a bit more PC than the Middle East..
Don't be too sure about that.......
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 9:46 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in Melbourne two months, my experiences:
Cool

1. Customs & Excise charge the earth for inspection and do not do their job. They are trying to charge me $850 for destroying a plastic bucket that they say contains "traces of chemicals" - it's detergent you morons!!
Why didn't you rinse the bucket ? The show Border security is designed to train people not to leave traces of anything.

2. Job agents are the worst I have ever encountered, bad manners is just one of their traits.
I found none any use, but hey they where nice to the wife and got her a job

3. Tram inspectors behave like The Gestapo and are racist, they bully old people and are afraid of youths who DO evade paying.
When you met the tram inspector did you have a ticket?

4. The train operators cannot even gets their clocks in synch let alone run a service!
Fair cop but they are only a few weeks in

5. An internet connection is the most expensive of any of the 6 countries I have lived in.
I pay 34 bucks a month thats about 15-20 quid its not the worst

6. The Govt allow a duopoly for the supermarkets, therefore any item is twice the price it should be.
we alow the Dupoly as they are the better ones , there are
IGA
Foodworks
Co-op
Aldi
and a good few others

7. Every public official I have had to deal with wants money to do their job.
Expand on this ,,,was this the just the Tram Inspector wanting the 5.50 for the ticket?

And I haven't even started on the cost to live here....
You are right its very expensive compared to the UK

Australia - great place to holiday a nightmare to live, I'm off and so is my taxable income.
Not without paying that Tram fine your not

Only joking with you, hope everything goes well for you back in the UK. Sorry you did not like Melbourne as much as we do.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

woodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Too many Australians I believe.
What in Mornington The're all poms!!!
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Zambia
we alow the Dupoly as they are the better ones , there are
IGA
Foodworks
Co-op
Aldi
and a good few others

Melbourne might have this 'vast' choice.... most of Australia sure as Hell won't. The only IGA near me is smaller than my garage and you would need the financial resources of Abramovich to do a weekly shop there.

Never even seen a Foodworks or a Co-op and while others may rave about Aldi, my local one is, quite frankly, crap.

Can you elaborate on "a good few others"?
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Not actually met any myself but the tram inspectors have (certainly in the past) a reputation of being heavy handed.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 10:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Melbourne might have this 'vast' choice.... most of Australia sure as Hell won't. The only IGA near me is smaller than my garage and you would need the financial resources of Abramovich to do a weekly shop there.

Never even seen a Foodworks or a Co-op and while others may rave about Aldi, my local one is, quite frankly, crap.

Can you elaborate on "a good few others"?
Ritchies Supa IGA are full sized supermarkets. Although you still get some of the corner shop IGAs. And they are still expensive. Foodworks also varies in size. Some are big, some are small. The one in Red Hill is interesting as it's more of a gourmet shop than a supermarket. Not heard of Co-op down here. Aldi is a bit pony.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by woodiesinaus
What in Mornington The're all poms!!!
Even then I think there were too many Australians.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.